ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how can i paint the bottom of glass tank

Registered Member Diamond Discus's Avatar

Default Re: how can i paint the bottom of glass tank

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Here are few with the flash so you can really see the color of the paint.

BH, The tank looks great that color.
    Sue

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    That's right Barbara, it's been proven. Some people just never know if they never come out of the darkside.
    Okay, you convinced me. I'm redoing a 55 and I'll use a sand colored paint on it.

Jeff

Registered Member silent_thunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by csarkar001 View Post
    I'm replacing one of my quarantine tanks. this time, would like to paint the outside bottom but worried the paint will not stick to the glass. Three questions:

1) does anyone know what kind of paint to use?

2) if paint will not work, plan B is to use contact paper; does someone have a better suggestion?

3) what color would be best? i'm leaning towards black so that the leftover food particles will show. if i ever use the tank to raise fry, will a black bottom be a problem?

thanks,
    Chandan
    I just painted one 2 days ago with krylon, after seeing Master Eddies tanks <g>....worked for me and have painted another before with a black bottom and black back...

The reason I used black is because it is a breeding tank and I had read its alot easier for the fry to find the parents...

"I seen a red door and I want it painted...black"

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Discus View Post
    BH, The tank looks great that color.
    Thanks Sue

Quote Originally Posted by jeff@zina.com View Post
    Okay, you convinced me. I'm redoing a 55 and I'll use a sand colored paint on it.

Jeff
    You won't regret it Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by silent_thunder View Post
    I just painted one 2 days ago with krylon, after seeing Master Eddies tanks <g>....worked for me and have painted another before with a black bottom and black back...

The reason I used black is because it is a breeding tank and I had read its alot easier for the fry to find the parents...

"I seen a red door and I want it painted...black"
    Yeah, not sure on that one. I know in a white tank they can find the parents better because they appear darker. . I don't know, never bred.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I always thought it was the opposite to that, and that in a discus breeding tank, the parents need to be the darkest thing in the tank? I have never bred, but thought that was what I have read.
    Cheers
    Robyn

When breeding if there is anything black/dark in the tank, people cover up the black or dark objects with white, a white sock, etc. otherwise the fry will go to the black heater, black tube, whatever it is, instead of the parents.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Quote Originally Posted by TankWatcher View Post
    I always thought it was the opposite to that, and that in a discus breeding tank, the parents need to be the darkest thing in the tank? I have never bred, but thought that was what I have read.
    Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    When breeding if there is anything black/dark in the tank, people cover up the black or dark objects with white, a white sock, etc. otherwise the fry will go to the black heater, black tube, whatever it is, instead of the parents.
    Yeah, thats what I thought. Having a lighter tank will make the parents easily identifiable.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

I'm trying to setup a 180 gallon tank and was wondering what to do with the bottom. I really didn't want to go the paint route so I'm thinking of putting down a sheet of styrafoam and then sprinkling actual sand all over it and placing the tank on the sand. I think this will give the tank a natural look. Any opinions on this idea?

Quote Originally Posted by razputin88 View Post
    I'm trying to setup a 180 gallon tank and was wondering what to do with the bottom. I really didn't want to go the paint route so I'm thinking of putting down a sheet of styrafoam and then sprinkling actual sand all over it and placing the tank on the sand. I think this will give the tank a natural look. Any opinions on this idea?
    Putting something underneath the tank will only be viewed if you look down from the top of the tank. Painting the bottom or actually having something attached to the bottom panel will be best.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

What Eddie said is true. I have styrofoam board covered with very light blue paper placed under the tank. It only shows if I look straight down into the tank, which is fine with me, and I find that my dark blue background reflects off the bottom when looking at the tank from anywhere in the room, even though the fish only see the light blue bottom color. If you want something that shows, though, painting the bottom is the ticket.
    Connie

How about painting the bottom of an up and running tank? How easy is it, how neat is it? Can it be done without removing the fish? I really like how that sand paint looks.
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    How about painting the bottom of an up and running tank? How easy is it, how neat is it? Can it be done without removing the fish? I really like how that sand paint looks.
    Depends, do you have access to the bottom of the tank?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Yes, from inside the cabinet (if I move all the crap I have in there out), except for the center brace area in the cabinet.
    Connie

Well, you would have to be creative and careful but I think you could get away with it. Overspray is the issue so you would have to cover a large area of the floor with plastic. If you can tape a tunnel around the outside of the surface you want painted, you can direct the paint to be contained in the tunnel as you spray. Its really hard to explain without actually doing it....LOL

Imagine a brown paper bag from the grocery store, cut the bottom of the bag out. Do this with 2 bags and tape them together so you have a long tunnel. Something to keep the spray contained.

I am sure there are other ideas out there.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Hmmmm, I know what you mean and I have visions of me becoming asfixiated while spraying in there, LOL! Maybe a brush paint instead... Maybe first I should concentrate on getting the Eheim 2028 I bought 2 years ago (yes, 2 years ago) hooked up to the 75, especially since my friend is coming over next weekend and is willing to get it done! Once its established, I can disconnect one filter, paint one side, reconnect the filter and disconnect the other and paint the other side... sounds like a plan to me, so long as I don't have to remove the Discus!
    Connie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast