AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenge Head Stander

Default Re: Challenge Head Stander

Darren, Rox and I had made an arrangement. I am to pick up 2 of the Challenge fish from her house tomorrow. Glad you understood me, Rox

It would only be a trip of 40 mins or so (depending on traffic) but I was wondering if it is a good idea to move fish agains so soon after their recent 12hr journey. Particulary, in regard to any fish that already seem stressed, but also just in general. The stress of moving them needs to be balanced against the need to get them in a larger water volume. I think Rox has 5 in 30G, which we know is a little small for them. Plus the link suggests the head stander needs to have the water lowered to a level where he stands up straight again. Hard to manage all that in 30G with 5 fish.

Rox, if we decide the move needs to happen, due to the required treatment for the head stander & the water volume issue, do you want me to come tonight, instead of tomorrow?

Let me know.
    Cheers
    Robyn

....update...

...dropped water level down again another quarter...will wait another hour and drop it down another few inches so she is forced to swim the right way...I'm thinking maybe they could all do with "decompressing".....I have a 10 gal tank set up next to theirs that I will put her/him(I'm not getting into that right now Rod) into after I have let them sit in a low level for a while...then I will raise the level of the main tank back up slowly for the others and keep "Precious" on "her" own and do the "up/down water manipulation therapy" on "her"...

I should have mentioned they are being treated for fin rot at the same time...

Hi Robyn...Room isn't a problem right now, I just wouldn't keep 5 fish that big in a tank that size permanently, but they are getting the Royal Treatment at the moment, maybe we should see how they go for a couple of days cos they are still a bit timid, and I can bring them down to you...something like that...watch & see approach for now perhaps...though of course, you are always welcome for a visit mate
    Last edited by Roxanne; 04-16-2009 at 10:43 PM.
    Everything goes back to the sea....Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne
    maybe we should see how they go for a couple of days cos they are still a bit timid ... watch & see approach for now perhaps ..
    Agree with you, Rox. Let's do a watch & see, just to be on the safe side. You'll let me know when the time's right for the fish to be shuffled around.

Did I read the link wrong? I thought the "up/down water manipulation therapy" was for "Part 1 - Tailstanders, Sitters & Sleepers" and that for "Part 2 - Headstanders" you lowered water level until she's forced to swim upright & leave it at that level. When she looks like she's doing better, gradually start filling the tank back up with water. If she starts swimming funny again, lower the water again. Says to try epsom salt in her food too.
    Cheers
    Robyn

I know what you mean but they say that if it can't release the air, but it has never hung at the top, so it's more like it can't refill as opposed to being full & can't empty???? If it was full she/he would float near top right/wrong?

I
    know what you mean but they say that if it can't release the air, but it has never hung at the top, so it's more like it can't refill as opposed to being full & can't empty???? If it was full she/he would float near top right/wrong?
    Not sure Rox. If it was me, I'd follow the Headstanding directions - but that by no means means what I'd do is the right choice.

The reason I would have decided to do that is just that her symptom is head standing, not tail standing. My headstander didn't hang around the top either. Went all over the tank, just in the head standing position.

EDIT: Rox, I don't want to confuse the matter. As you are there & can see her, I think you would know best how she's reacting to things. I wonder if a pm to Paul might help?
    Last edited by TankWatcher; 04-17-2009 at 12:37 AM.
    Cheers
    Robyn

...errr....now I'm confused...lol...so I've left it low....just looking at them now, they all came over to say hello, and she/he was first...maybe we should just call it "Poseidon" seeing as it is sinking...'it' isn't doing any worse....have to review the whole airplane acclimatisation technique.....

Rox

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    Hi Rod

Sorry you are hearing this bad news, after all the work you have done...thanks for the good wishes and let's hope for a good outcome. They are all very beautiful Rod...the pics don't do them justice, capture the colour changes etc...and their size, C-H-U-N-K-Y...not that I'd expect anything less from you Rod.(you know you're my 'back up' online boyfriend if Graham dumps me..JJ)..they can see Calypso & Pumpkin in the next tank, wonder if they have a long term memory?? I noticed one of their tankmates when you had them looked alot like C & P..

Thanks Again

Roxanne
    Yes well i had that little knot in the stomach happening when reading this thread, i feel like an uncle to these guys. You've been given good advice, my fingers are crossed he comes good for you.

Backup after Graham?? lol ,sounds good. As long as you don't mind my other mistress. I have to play her rolling fairways at least twice a week.

That tankmate that looks like c & P is actually from a cross of red melon and rose red a very good friend of mine bred. I plucked it from his tank when he was small as i really liked his shape. He's grown out quite well, but he is actually more chocolate brown colored compared to C & P.

...errr....now I'm confused...
    Sorry Rox, wish I hadn't said anything now.

Rod, did you happen to read the info on the link from DPH. If you had to take a pick, would you do the "Part 1" or the "Part 2" treatment in this case?
    Cheers
    Robyn

Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    As to this water theory for air bladder problems....it makes no sense to me what so ever but snice I'm not positive about it, I've sent the link off to Dr Greg Lewbart at the U of SC...we'll see what he thinks
    Wow, thanks for doing that. Aren't SD members great
    Cheers
    Robyn

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post

As to this water theory for air bladder problems....it makes no sense to me what so ever but snice I'm not positive about it, I've sent the link off to Dr Greg Lewbart at the U of SC...we'll see what he thinks

G
    Wow...this will be interesting....thanks GrahMaster...got nothing but love for ya...and Rod, my two timing back up boyfriend...

I really don't think anything I did re the acclim caused the head standing tho cos it was doing it when I pulled her travel wrappings off & could see it...but this one's bag was a little bit softer than the others like it spiked it and some air escaped...but not really much water was missing...anyway i don't want to get fried for my acclim technique causing head standing so I came up with that defence...based on the truth though

They are all pretty happy by the looks of it, doesn't look to be head standing worse or more often, in fact seems less...although it was funny watching it try to headstand, cos it had to keep it's tail in the air and all I could see above the water was a tail for a couple of seconds...can't keep the position for long while the water is that low....

Rox
    Last edited by Roxanne; 04-17-2009 at 10:25 AM.

From the sounds of it, the fish seems to be doing better. That is great news.

Maybe in the morning he or she will be brand new.

Best of luck,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    .Maybe in the morning he or she will be brand new.

Eddie
    Do you think it could be that soon Eddie?...I'd like to be an optomist about it, but wouldn't want to get my hopes too high...just in case...I'm prepared for the worse, but hopeful...

...had to be the one I like the best didn't it?...que sera...

Rox

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    Do you think it could be that soon Eddie?...I'd like to be an optomist about it, but wouldn't want to get my hopes too high...just in case...I'm prepared for the worse, but hopeful...

...had to be the one I like the best didn't it?...que sera...

Rox
    Well I sure do hope so Rox, either way...I have a feeling the fish is gonna be fine.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

Backup after Graham?? lol ,sounds good. As long as you don't mind my other mistress. I have to play her rolling fairways at least twice a week.

No, that's ok...Graham has others too...I'm down with you Playa types...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

...a very good friend of mine bred. I plucked it from his tank when he was small ...
    ...from your "friend" huh?...being the height you are, I guess he wasn't going to say No to you...has he got any more you can steal?...

Rox

Real Name
    Chris

Best of luck with him/her. My fingers are crossed.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast