ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Do a Salt Dip

Default How To Do a Salt Dip

The following are Paul's (pcsb23 - an Administrator on SD) instructions for a salt dip. I thought these instructions would come in handy at some point for someone:

Salt dip:

2 tablespoons per gallon water. ANY salt so long as there are no anti-clog additives. Iodised salt is safe, cooking salt is cheaper.

Mix in a clean bucket with water of the same temp or from the tank. Net fish and place into bucket. After 30 mins remove back to clean water, BUT if the fish rolls over before the 30 minutes is up then remove it straight away to clean water.

I normally give the tank a good clean through when doing this or put them into a newly setup tank, but not everyone has the tankage.

The dip can be repeated daily (even twice daily) if needed for as long as necessary (well easily 2 weeks).

It is typical to see the fish drop slime, I normally do a mini w/c an hour or so after to remove the slime if its visible.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-19-2009 at 08:43 AM.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Default Re: How To Do a Salt Dip

it would be great if you could mention all the benefits of a salt dip as well (especially for beginners like me )

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    it would be great if you could mention all the benefits of a salt dip as well (especially for beginners like me )
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM007
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Thanks Eddie,

Just clarifying

A 3 percent salt dip effectively removes protozoa from the skin, gills, and fins of freshwater fish; it also enhances mucus production. Depending on the species, fish can remain in a 3 percent salt solution from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. In general, fish should be left in the salt solution until they lose equilibrium and roll over
    Mandatory to roll over ???

Thanks Eddie,

Just clarifying

Mandatory to roll over ???
    More or less, they will sometimes last the 30 minutes easily. I like to use more salt, they won't last long with a higher salt concentration. Its entirely dependent on the fish. Not that I would advise it, I have used a half a cup of salt in 1 gallon of water. The fish go in and roll immediately, I tap the fish, it wiggles a little and I put it in fresh water. Very risky and extremely harsh on the fish. I would not advise that method.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

I've heard that you can do a fairly quick dip 7 1/2 Tblsp. per gallon of water.
    Is this true ??

Quote Originally Posted by markstr View Post
    I've heard that you can do a fairly quick dip 7 1/2 Tblsp. per gallon of water.
    Is this true ??
    The higher the concentration, the shorter time the fish will be able to stand it, the smaller your margins for error are.

20 minutes is not a long time to wait, and 20 minutes at two to three heaped tablespoons per gallon is adequate imo/e whether or not they roll over. If they do roll they must be removed immediately.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Got a scare today...I dipped my BD with a higher concentration of salt. Was thinking why he wasnt rolling over even after 10 minutes...Finally he was starting to tilt. so i thought i would take him out and check..When i looked at him he looked BLEACHED... (blue patches here and there)..got so scared that i thot I wud have lost it if i kept for some more time..phewww!

Is this normal? When i put it back...it started gaining color..It would have been less confusing if the color was lost uniformly rather than having patches

Got a scare today...I dipped my BD with a higher concentration of salt. Was thinking why he wasnt rolling over even after 10 minutes...Finally he was starting to tilt. so i thought i would take him out and check..When i looked at him he looked BLEACHED... (blue patches here and there)..got so scared that i thot I wud have lost it if i kept for some more time..phewww!

Is this normal? When i put it back...it started gaining color..It would have been less confusing if the color was lost uniformly rather than having patches
    This is totally normal, the fish will look blotched and dark/light patches. Sometimes the fish will float to the bottom or lay listlessly for a little bit before starting to swim again. A salt dip is tough on the fish, it strips their slimecoat.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

I just read that when doing a salt dip using RO water you should always have an airstone in there because RO water does not have any dissolved oxygen in it.

When I was doing salt dips I did start using an airstone and had noticed that the fish lasted longer in the dip if it had air. My water is 2/3 RO so maybe that's why! Nothing scientific about this, just an observation and wondering if you guys had similar experiences?

Do you guys use airstones in your dips?

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie100 View Post
    I just read that when doing a salt dip using RO water you should always have an airstone in there because RO water does not have any dissolved oxygen in it.

When I was doing salt dips I did start using an airstone and had noticed that the fish lasted longer in the dip if it had air. My water is 2/3 RO so maybe that's why! Nothing scientific about this, just an observation and wondering if you guys had similar experiences?

Do you guys use airstones in your dips?

Julie
    Hey Julie, missed this one. I use straight tap and still add and airstone. I generally use extra air during dips and most treatments.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

That makes perfect sense! Thanks Eddie

Real Name
    Ricardo

are repeat dips recommended? i'm in the process of one currently.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    are repeat dips recommended? i'm in the process of one currently.
    Hey Ricardo, do you mean in the same day? I wouldn't do more than one a day but you could them daily until the problem is gone. Some prefer every other day since a salt dip can be pretty rough on the fish.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Hey Ricardo, do you mean in the same day? I wouldn't do more than one a day but you could them daily until the problem is gone. Some prefer every other day since a salt dip can be pretty rough on the fish.

Eddie
    yeah i meant on a daily basis. i did my first salt dip and my AF never rolled over. i had him in a 5g bucket with 10tbs of salt. put him back and he's doing fine. lost a little bit of slime coat but i read that was normal. i will keep observing.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast