AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful fish from Darren

Default Re: Beautiful fish from Darren

Nice nice body shape to. Thanks for sharing and good luck.

Hendri

Eddie I guess you are in Discus heaven over there in Japan right? Are they as mad about Discus as they are about Koi? I alway think of Japan as the ornamental fish capital of the world lol! You are one lucky guy!!!
    Not really Kieth, I know they are in Main Land Japan but not on Okinawa. They have some amazing wilds in several stores but they are priced super high. Nobody ever buys them.

The hardware store where I picked up all my fish started getting some unreal colors and sizes, probably thinking I was gonna buy them but I am only into healthy looking young fish. Juvenile fish that have potential.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Not really Kieth, I know they are in Main Land Japan but not on Okinawa. They have some amazing wilds in several stores but they are priced super high. Nobody ever buys them.

The hardware store where I picked up all my fish started getting some unreal colors and sizes, probably thinking I was gonna buy them but I am only into healthy looking young fish. Juvenile fish that have potential.

Eddie
    Eddie, sorry mate I must have misread cos I thought you said you got your Discus at THE HARDWARE STORE! That's so funny!!! I'm marching right into my local hardware store in the morning and I'm gonna ask them where the hell THEIR Discus are! Shame about the prices though eh? Do they have good Koi where you are? I really miss them, I used to have an awesome Koi pond when I lived back in London and would love one here but Koi are banned in Qld; they are on the declared noxious species list due to them being basically ornamental carp. (However, goldfish which are about the closest related species in the cyprinidae family to the carp and would share pretty much exactly the same ecological niche in the wild are perfectly legal?!? Maybe it's cos goldfish don't have barbels and as such look more uncarplike? Who knows?)

Anyways I'm with you all the way when it comes to young quality Discus that you can grow out! A bit cheaper and much more satisfying. My only stipulation is that they come from a trustworthy source. In my case either Darren or Rod here in Qld. About 3 months ago I gambled on 6 baby BDs from a local LFS (they were about as big as my thumb nail) & only about 10 bucks each. I asked the owner (whom is a nice and honest guy) did he think they would grow out well, and he said yes, he honestly thought they would as he had seen the parents. Well three months later, after lots of time an effort expended, I have 6 well grown BDs. Only problem is that they developed black patches all over their bodies about a month after I got them, and are still somewhat 'beaky' (I know all small fish are beaky but this looks pretty permanent already). I guess there was some pigment throwback issue that the LFS owner couldn't have known about, so I dont blame him at all, it's just one of those things. The long & short is that I guess they would now be classed as culls. But I am gonna use them as hero fish for my q/t tanks. It was worth a shot, and at 10 bucks a piece it hasnt exactly wiped me out . It's just that Discus are a fish that morph so significantly in patternation & shape from juvenile to to adult stages that buying youngsters blind is too risky for me now. I guess there is a point somewhere when they're still young that you can see exactly how the shape and pattern is going to develop... The trick is getting them at this cusp before they fall over into 'expensive adult territory' lol!
    Just one of the many, many things that make Discus such a challenging hobby - but like you Eddie, I wouldn't have it any other way!
    keith
    The two best times to fish are when its raining and when it's not.

Beautiful fish from Darren Keith! All the best with them!
    Mark

Cheers Mark!
    Keith

Very Nice fish!!

Have their colors/spots changed since you got them?
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by yim11 View Post
    Very Nice fish!!

Have their colors/spots changed since you got them?
    Thanks Yim!
    Yes they have. Aside from growing like weeds, the fish have definitely patterned out towards the caudal area. This was the last area to develop patternation, which is something I believe is common with checkerboard pigeons. It's not so much that the spots/patterns have changed as such, they have just become more pronounced in the areas that had little/no patternation before.
    Keith

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Beautiful fish from Darren

Hi Keith,

Excellent Checkerboard Pigeons you got from Darren, nice conformation and pattern at this age. You can't go wrong getting fish with the knowledgeable and always ethical and helpful Darren my friend!

All the best with them!

Kenny
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny's Discus View Post
    Hi Keith,

Excellent Checkerboard Pigeons you got from Darren, nice conformation and pattern at this age. You can't go wrong getting fish with the knowledgeable and always ethical and helpful Darren my friend!

All the best with them!

Kenny
    your too much.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Smile Re: Beautiful fish from Darren

Darren,

See my signature.

Kenny
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

I do like chequerboards and these are very nice Congrats. (nice one Darren)
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Cheers Kenny & Paul!
    They are coming along really well, I'll try and get some more pics up over the coming weekend. I have already had a pair form from this group, although it seems to just be all talk at the moment, lots of shaking etc, but no end product. Still, as they are are only 10 months old there's plenty of time for flowerpot shenanigans in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry_discus View Post
    Cheers Kenny & Paul!
    They are coming along really well, I'll try and get some more pics up over the coming weekend. I have already had a pair form from this group, although it seems to just be all talk at the moment, lots of shaking etc, but no end product. Still, as they are are only 10 months old there's plenty of time for flowerpot shenanigans in the future.
    Any picture updates Keith, gotta love those CBPs?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Any picture updates Keith, gotta love those CBPs?

Eddie
    Here you go Eddie - two of my favourites paired up a few weeks ago and this is the result! It's their 3rd time of trying but is by far the biggest batch so far. Fingers crossed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

and one more...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast