AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

My name is Chad Hughes and I live in San Diego, CA. I am honored to have been selected as one of this year's SD hobbiest challengers.

I have kept aquariums since I was 6 years old. When I was in high school I started an aquarium cleaning service with the help of my grandfather. He was a realestate agent, so in no time I had a slew of contacts and customers! He used to run me all over town in he afternoons to clean the tanks of the customers he got me. When I left high school to attend college I quit keeping fish and abondoned the business.

Well, my softmore year of college the bug hit again. I was doing really well with school and work and had some extra cash, so I went bigger than I had ever gone and bought a 180 gallon tank, set up a marine tank and had a 2foot nurse shark in it until I graduated. Naturally, my house was the coolest with the big tank and a shark! LOL!

After college I, once again, shut down the aquarium and joined the U.S. Navy and toured four about 7 years. Most of my time was spent in Japan and San Diego, CA. After the Navy, I began a job as an electrical engineer in San Diego, CA. Since that time I also spent 2 years in Iraq working with the Navy, Army and Marine Corps. It was a proud time for me working with all those sailors, soldiers and marines. Iraq is a god for saken place, especially where most of the US troops are. I spent those two years between Mosul, Tikrit and Balad. I traveled all over the Middle East, Asia and Europe. It was good to return home.

Today I have 18 adult discus living in a variety of tanks throughout the house. I have a 150 and a 110 that are my discus show pieces. Spawning has gotten so frequent that I am building on our property to start making space for a new fish room. I hope to have it completed this summer and hopefully start filling it with tanks and discus then. I am slowly developing my hobby of discus keeping in to discus breeding. It's been a lot of fun and I have had excellent success!

I learned about SD late in the game. I had no idea what a great source of information and experience was out there. I read things on this site that I would have probably never been aware of, especially the disease section. I had no idea that discus could have such complex problems. I have been one of the lucky (few apparently) people that have not had to deal with any disease, but I'm glad I have you all to come to if and when I do. You're like my extended discus loving family!

For this years challenge I'll be utilizing my own tried and true methods of raising discus. The stock that I receive will begin their grow out process in their own, dedicated 110 gallon tank. The tank will be planted with a play sand substrate bottom. Filtration consists of a fluval 405 and possibly a sponge filter or two. Feedings will be kept at 4 daily with a variety of foods. I make all of my own foods with the exception of blood worm (obviously). Water changes for fry in this size tank are typically twice weekly at 50% changeover. More may be done if circumstances dictate.

All of this will be accurately recorded and reported through this thread. I look forward to posting results of this challenge step by step! It should be exciting. Best wishes to all of you!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: Introduction

Hey Chad,

Congrads on the new fish that you will be receiving in a week or so. I will definately be following your thread, to see how your fish grow in a planted tank. I will also be interested in the water changing that you will be doing. I know that this is always a big issue on the forum, and will be interested in seeing if more water changes are better than just a few a week. Your water changes are how I do mine. I also saw that on Ryan's thread that he will be doing dailey water changes. It will be interesting for sure. Good luck.

Registered Member Diamond Discus's Avatar

This is great. I love that you are using a planted tank for your challenge fish. I'll be watching this closely. Good luck!
    Sue

Good luck Chad! This is gonna be great!

Thanks guys and gals!

I know that my methods are a bit unconventional, but I thinnk they work. It WILL be exciting to see the results.

Now, lets all hurry up and wait! Haha!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Ricardo

congrats Chad. I was just congratulating Steve for being the only Californian and I see two now which makes me happy. i know about the water situation over at San Diego so your method as far as WC seems to be the best approach. the other thing you have working for you is the fact that you have raised discus in a planted tank before so we jnow you can do it. once again congrats and i look forward to your "unconventional" method for a contrast in tactic.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Ricardo,

Thank you for the congrats!

Yes, those of us who are in the San Diego area are certainly in a unique situation. As you well know, water is somewhat a national tresure in these parts. That being said, I have been forced to be a bit creative with how I do things with my discus. I have to say it's been a challenge and am looking forward to allowing this contest to be a platform for "alternate" discus rearing strategies.

Thanks again and have a great week!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Conrats on bein chosen in this years challenge Chad!! I have an eye on this one!
    Mark

Real Name
    Jim

Good luck Chad growing these fish. I think its great to try them in a planted tank. I can't wait to get my new fish and try growing them.
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Good luck Chad!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

All the best with the challenge Chad.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Real Name
    Chris

Congratulations Chad and good luck. As someone who also raises discus unconventionaly (plants/substrate) I will be eagerly watching this contest.

Best of luck

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Registered Member

Goodluck Chad!

Hi Chad, congratulations.
    Sounds like you are going to have a beautiful setup to view. Your tank will one to check often. Hope everything goes well for you all year. Bill
    Last edited by wgtaylor; 05-12-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks to all! I am as excited abou thtis as you are to see how this all goes. I'll keep you posted!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast