AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Hi! My name is Steve but all my friends call me Steve-O. I live here in the sierra foothills about an hour east of Sacramento Cali with my wife Rochelle, our 2 boys Derek and Edward along with 4 dogs, 5 cats, 8 goats, 5 ducks, 2 hawks and a lop eared rabbit I bought my wife yesterday for mothers day

I guess I might be considered one of the noobs in the contest. Although I've kept many types of aquaria over the years, my last attempt at discus was back in the late 80's and was met with mixed results. It took a very dedicated aquarist to raise discus back then and of course we didn't have the type of support we have today with the internet and specifically places like Simply Discus.

About 2 years ago I decided to break down my 300 gallon reef tank. Well I guess you can say it was decided for me, running 2500 watts of lighting 12 hr's a day, 6500 GPH 24-7 and all the other support gear that was running, one August our electric bill topped 4 figures So I had to figure out what to do with the tank. A friend of mine at the lfs turned me on to Amano's "giant tanks" book I saw the picture with the discus and that, as they say was that. I pieced out the reef a little at a time and the reefers that came over to buy stuff would ask what I was going to do with the tank and I would show them a picture from the book. They would kinda give me this look of "oh...that's nice" roll the eyes

After learning the planted tank thing for over a year I got my first 12 discus. I was told they were Leopard Snakeskins but after looking over some of the posts and specifically the cool new "strain" thread started by rickztahone over in the beginners section, I really don't know what I have. No big deal I guess. Out of the 12, one didn't make it early on, one had problems eating and I was able get that one to come around and the whole lot had to be treated for flukes recently. All succesfully accomplished thanks to the people here on this site.

I can't say enough how much the information gathered here at Simply Discus has helped me have success with these fish. Thank you very much everyone here

The Contest.
    Wow. I'm so excited and so honored to have been chosen. I want to throw out a big GOOD LUCK! to all the other contestants. ( I sure hope I don't have to answer any loaded questions at the end of the contest about same sex marriage or anything like that)

I will be raising these babies, (Absolutely gorgeous btw, thanks Kenny, Forrest)!! In a 60 gallon cube. The tank is setup for auto water changes and I will be doing 75-100% daily w/c. I'll be feeding some version of basshead Eddies seafood mix along with flakes and pellets, maybe some fbw and fbs thrown in. I plan on doing at least 8 feedings a day.

In the next couple of days I'll start seperate threads for equipment, feeding, photo's/video, and a place we can just chat. I look forward to hearing from all of you!!!

Let the games begin!

Registered Member Diamond Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Introduction

It's neat how everyone is using a littl bit different method to grow out. This is getting better and better with each introduction. Good luck!
    Sue

Real Name
    Ricardo

congrats Steve-O. im very siked about this contest and im very happy a fellow californian got in. you have a great plan so far but just remember that sometimes the unexpected happens and its best to prepare for those moments as best you can. one factor has already been eliminated for you and thats the fact that you have great stock to start with. once again congrats and i look forward to following all the updates

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Chris

Congratulations Steve-O and good luck.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Steve-O,
    look forward to your update's all the best !

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Wicked intro Steve (videos,photos, little chit chat)! The set-up for your fish sounds like a definite recipe for success!

Take care and best of luck,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

SteveO what strain did you guys get from Kenny/Forrest that you will be growing out?? I know its an albino, but which one?!? lol I cant seem to find it.
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Thanks everyone! This is gonna be a lot of fun

Jason,
    Check out post #158

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=69719&page=11

Registered Member

Goodluck Steve-O!
    Last edited by MRQuad; 05-12-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    Thanks everyone! This is gonna be a lot of fun

Jason,
    Check out post #158

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=69719&page=11
    ohhhhh! I see Steve...damn those are BEAUTIFUL! 6 of them to each of you?!?!? you guys are luuucky...i should have entered this year...o well...theres always next year. I just bought 2 albino spotted leopards from kenny about a week ago. looks similar. best of luck to you Steve, and everyone else in the contest, Ill be tuned in here for sure...Ill also be growing out my own 3 inch albino spotteds along side of you guys

again, good luck to everyone!. I cant believe I snoozed on this contest this year. I kept seein it out of the corner of my eye...IDK why i didnt enter
    -Jason-

Hi Steve, congratulations.
    Wow, 100 percent automatic water changes, life's easy huh !
    I used to go to Capitol Aquarium in Sacramento. They used to have a lot of discus. Great fish store, walk in the front door, over a bridge above a huge koi pond. Great place.
    Anyway, the best to you this year with your discus. Bill

this whole competition is such a great idea, it really is. I cant wait till you guys get your fish! its gonna be so cool to see the progress. really a great idea Al. and thats awesome of you, Kenny and Forrest for supplying an amazing strain for these guys to grow out. Like I said I'll be tuned in hardcore, so get used to me ..nice to meet you Steve-o
    -Jason-

Steve,

Best of luck to you!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Yeah! Do NorCal proud!! I grew up in the foothills...went to Colfax High...I am now in Sac. By the way...are you on well water up there?? Have you checked out JoJo Aquarium down here on Stockton Blvd.? Pretty good LFS for discus, supplies, and advice (owner is super friendly) if you are ever down this way. I wish you the best of luck!
    -Adam
    46g Bow Front Show Tank
    6 4" discus, school of rummynose, Chinese algae eaters, cory cats
    46g BB stocked with Juvies and a 10g Shrimp Hatchery

Registered Member

Hey Steve-o (hope I'm not being to presumptuous). Like how you're really getting into this. Care to share pics of your auto water change system.

Good luck in the challenge.

Kirk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast