AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introduction

Default Re: Introduction

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    Hi Steve, congratulations.
    Wow, 100 percent automatic water changes, life's easy huh !
    I used to go to Capitol Aquarium in Sacramento. They used to have a lot of discus. Great fish store, walk in the front door, over a bridge above a huge koi pond. Great place.
    Anyway, the best to you this year with your discus. Bill
    Yeah, Capital still has lots of discus but once you get used to seeing the quality of KENNY'S DISCUS (did I say that loud enough?) It's like trying to compare your average napa valley Zinfindel to a Brunello di Montalcino. It just ain't the same

this whole competition is such a great idea, it really is. I cant wait till you guys get your fish! its gonna be so cool to see the progress. really a great idea Al. and thats awesome of you, Kenny and Forrest for supplying an amazing strain for these guys to grow out. Like I said I'll be tuned in hardcore, so get used to me ..nice to meet you Steve-o
    Nice to meet you too Jason Beautiful discus btw

Yeah! Do NorCal proud!! I grew up in the foothills...went to Colfax High...I am now in Sac. By the way...are you on well water up there?? Have you checked out JoJo Aquarium down here on Stockton Blvd.? Pretty good LFS for discus, supplies, and advice (owner is super friendly) if you are ever down this way. I wish you the best of luck!
    -Adam
    Norcal for life! That's right! I'm a bay area transplant myself, been up here 8 years now. We are on a municipal water system. The water might be even a little too soft if that's possible for discus. No chloramines though so just a day aging and then in the tank, that's my plan

Hey Steve-o (hope I'm not being to presumptuous). Like how you're really getting into this. Care to share pics of your auto water change system.

Good luck in the challenge.

Kirk

No problem at all Kirk. I had to go down to the hardware store today for a few fittings but I should have it up and plumbed tonight. Should have pics by morning. The real trick is being able to siphon the waste. It isn't really automatic if you have to stick your hands in there now is it?

Let me know what you think of my solution

Thanks Chad! Good luck to you too!

Registered Member

Steve, can't wait to see it. Your comment struck a chord. Was it you that had the post about what people want in a auto system? Just guessing but does your system have a sloped bottom that funnels the pooh down to a suction fitting?

Kirk

Real Name
    Jim

Good luck Steve.
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Quote Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
    Steve, can't wait to see it. Your comment struck a chord. Was it you that had the post about what people want in a auto system? Just guessing but does your system have a sloped bottom that funnels the pooh down to a suction fitting?

Kirk

That's exactly right Kirk! Have you seen that or tried it? I have a bunch of ideas on the drawing board on how to funnel waste to the suction device but this is the simplest one I could come up with in a hurry. I really didn't expect to get pick for the challenge

Registered Member

Morning Steve,

No, I haven't seen one but I've had something similar floating around in my mind. The first idea I had been toying with was to take some styrofoam and cut it so that it all sloped to one central location. A 1/2" piece of CPVC would form the suction pipe. I thought about either coating the foam with epoxy or just use silicone that would be covered with sand to make a natural looking bottom. This would be for a decorated tank. I also envisioned that for a bare bottom tank I could use plexiglass or glass.

I think it's a great idea. Can't wait to see yours in action.

Kiirk

Wow Steve,

Sounds like you have quite the set up. I look forward to seeing it in your posts. Good luck with your fish.

Evelyn

Steve, you sound so organised with everything planned out. All those separate threads. Sounds like this will be very interesting, watching you & your challenge fish

Best of luck
    Cheers
    Robyn

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Steve,

Best of luck to you hope you'll enjoy raising these albino crosses out! They are eating machines lol...

Kenny
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny's Discus View Post
    Steve,

Best of luck to you hope you'll enjoy raising these albino crosses out! They are eating machines lol...

Kenny

Thanks Kenny!!
    I think my wife is gonna get sick of me making fish food in the kitchen and taking up freezer space.

Smile Re: Introduction

Great intro Steve-O. Looking forward to following your progress.
    Do not eat natural food...I used to eat a lot of natural food until I heard most people die of natural causes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12