AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a little weird.

Default Just a little weird.

Ok, so in my intro I said that this would be a place where I would not only post updates, pictures and video but a place we could chat and get to know each other a little better and since there's nothing to post at the moment, I thought I would share an apiphany I had today.

I think I'm a little weird.

I was in San Francisco today meeting with some of my band mates and the producer to talk about the scheduling and direction of our next record. It's been a while since I've seen my bro's so there's a lot of "hey! what's up? whataya doin" that sort of stuff and I'm SOOOO! excited about this contest that I kinda blurted out what was going on and the look I got from these guy's was just classic. "Your in a competition to raise... fish....OK".

Yeah I get it. It's not exactly something the average hardcore metal guitarist usually does with his free time but ya know, oh well. Alice Cooper hid for years the fact that he was a scratch golfer. Bad for the image.

Anyway I'm driving home with my wife and I ask her if she thought it was kinda weird and she said "yeah it's a kinda weird". I thought about it all the way home and came to the conculsion that whatever your passion is, whether it's fish or fantasy football, most people just aren't gonna get it and some will think your headed for the loony bin

So tell me your stories. How intense do you get in this hobby? (way of life?). I know there are alot of VERY serious hobbiests here. Does your significant other think your just nuts? Do you have friends that shake their heads in bewilderment?

Come on, share your stories

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

Default Re: Just a little weird.

Wellp, alot significant others will be jealous of how much time we spend with, and how much we love our fish lol. but really, whatever makes u happy, thats what life is all about, its too short to spend it not being happy. I know how happy this hobby makes all of us, and thats a genuinely awesome thing. Most of my friends give me a hard time about how much I love my fish, but who cares what they think, I think their fools for not having a hobby haha. Its a positive characteristic in my mind, to be able to make urself happy with a hobby, or several , and not have to rely on others all the time for that. (cept the fish ) ...just my two pennies
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

and you know what else man, dont even worry about ur metal head image or compare it with the golf or anything...your just a man who enjoys fine exotic pets, since when is that a problem?! lol
    -Jason-

Real Name
    Ricardo

it's funny you mention it Steve. I have a friend who came to my house when i only had my 55 setup. after a while he came around again and i had the 125 setup as well. and lastly he came again and i had the 30 for QT and finally he asks me, "dude, are you compensating for something?" and i just starting laughing my butt off. i guess my friends have a certain image of me but deep down not only do i love discus but i love having hobbies and i get pretty passionate about them. when i tell them something like, "naw man i have to go home and do a water change" they look at me like a complete crazy person

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cooldadddyfunk286 View Post
    and you know what else man, dont even worry about ur metal head image or compare it with the golf or anything...your just a man who enjoys fine exotic pets, since when is that a problem?! lol
    That's what I'm talking about Jason. Well said. I think that was the point I was trying to make. It just dosen't matter what anyone else thinks and would it really matter anyway? Dosen't curb my enthusiasm one bit

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    it's funny you mention it Steve. I have a friend who came to my house when i only had my 55 setup. after a while he came around again and i had the 125 setup as well. and lastly he came again and i had the 30 for QT and finally he asks me, "dude, are you compensating for something?" and i just starting laughing my butt off. i guess my friends have a certain image of me but deep down not only do i love discus but i love having hobbies and i get pretty passionate about them. when i tell them something like, "naw man i have to go home and do a water change" they look at me like a complete crazy person
    haha, i hear you big time bro. I say the same thing about the WCs to my friends, but you know what, I dont let them get to me. I just keep talkin bout my fish, and showin them, and all that, then eventually they just realize "hey, whatever makes you happy" kinda thing
    -Jason-

Haha yes my friends and family think im nuts but they know how much it means to me.The funny thing is when my partner tells them "its all about the fish" they think shes jokeing ,shes not.
    When a fish is sick my mum rings to see "how the fish is doing" if a fish dies my family give me space
    And my family are quite used to me sleeping on the couch or in the fish room if somethings up and i need to check them.
    My partners work enables her to feed them at lunch time and when i get home my first words are whos had what to eat.
    All in all you have to have your THING for some its gardening some its golf whatever blows your hair back and gives you true pleasure
    despite the rise in the cost of living it hasn't lost its popularity.

Yes, hubby and co-workers just shake their heads by now. They realize how crazy I am about fish. But hubby has his own hobby that I shake my head at, so it works out well. I also guess that's why my 2 best friends are both animal lovers like me and are passionate about their furry and finned friends too. One of them is just as crazy about fish as I am and a fellow Discus keeper, so we each understand when the other says talk to you later, got to do a WC, LOL!
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Oh man, do I get beat up at work! The guys at work give the hardest time about it. This one guy always shakes his head and says "man Eddie....I never took you for a fish guy". He says "Fish....of all things, FISH". LOL

Now my wife, she does not understand it AT ALL. She pretty much says that I am cheating on her with my fish. Constantly comments on how crazy I am and she does not know how I could be so passionate about fish.

The important thing for me, is that I am passionate about something and it's positive. Thats all that matters.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Don't worry about it my man. Keeping fish and being in a band can work, I have managed it for the last 20 years. As the shows get more infrequent the fish seem to multiply! However the real headache comes when you hit the road and suddenly it's all about 'what am I gonna do with my Fish? Who's gonna look after 'em?" I guess I used to fret over my fish more than my girlfriend (now wife) when I was on the road! Oh yeah & I reguarly get called 'fishboy' by my bandmates. It's all part of the fun!
    The two best times to fish are when its raining and when it's not.

So tell me your stories. How intense do you get in this hobby? (way of life?). I know there are alot of VERY serious hobbiests here. Does your significant other think your just nuts? Do you have friends that shake their heads in bewilderment?
    Hmm...Lets see, Along with Ryan I run an internet site dedicated to a species of Fish....It alone takes up hours of my time. I have a hobby hatchery of 2500 gals of water for Fish. I host get togethers of large numbers of Discus Hobbyists at my home. I welcome many Hobbyists here for visits to talk Fish. My circle of friends is largely "fish"people as is the list of Numbers on my cell phone.. So How do "YOU" think I look to my non-fishy friends and family? Thankfully..if my wife thinks I am a "little weird" she spares me from hearing it... My kids however...think I rock and am the Coolest Dad.. bless their little hearts!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    My kids however...think I rock and am the Coolest Dad.. bless their little hearts!

-al
    And thats all that matters Al, as long as the kids think we are the coolest, that is really all that matters!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member Diamond Discus's Avatar

My husband completely does not get it at all. He can't understand how I can be that crazy over a fish or forums. When I mention someone's name from a forum that I need to call or go see, he and my friends say...what is a forum, who is that, how did you meet them? My cell phone contact list is forum friends heavy as well, being an Administrator on 2 Fish Forums, I spend a fair amount of time on the computer and the phone. My husband tells me I'm lucky he is secure in our marriage (24 years). What other guy would be tolerant of all of these guys I talk to on the phome, email, and visit their homes. The hobby is a little "male" heavy...I can't change that except to invite more women to join in. LOL

One time my daughter didn't think I was spending enough time with the grandkids (which is ridiculous because I have them every morning before school for 1 hour and for 3 hours after school every day plus some weekends) anyway, my husband told my daughter...why don't you paint some gills on their necks and she won't be able to leave them alone!

So yes, I people think I'm weird. But I am equally "weird" about my horse, trail riding, and horse shows. Did I mention my dogs, gardening, golf.....
    Sue

hahaha, never thought od it that way! Well yes when I was having major dramas and my fish (all sorts) were dying everyone said GIVE IT UP, your mad, stop spending money etc etc. Then I found SD and everything has turned around a complete 360. They say I am mad, never have time etc etc, I say doing wc, medicating, feeding, changing tanks, decorationg whatever and they all look at me like I have 2 heads. But I can say I wouldn't have it any other way!
    We are fish people can't change that!
    Cheers Kath

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Oh man, do I get beat up at work! The guys at work give the hardest time about it. This one guy always shakes his head and says "man Eddie....I never took you for a fish guy". He says "Fish....of all things, FISH". LOL

Now my wife, she does not understand it AT ALL. She pretty much says that I am cheating on her with my fish. Constantly comments on how crazy I am and she does not know how I could be so passionate about fish.

The important thing for me, is that I am passionate about something and it's positive. Thats all that matters.

Eddie
    Then you know what I'm talkin' about man

My wife is very accomadating actually. We've been running a business together for the last 15 years. We're together practically 24-7 so anything to get me out of her hair

Don't worry about it my man. Keeping fish and being in a band can work, I have managed it for the last 20 years. As the shows get more infrequent the fish seem to multiply! However the real headache comes when you hit the road and suddenly it's all about 'what am I gonna do with my Fish? Who's gonna look after 'em?" I guess I used to fret over my fish more than my girlfriend (now wife) when I was on the road! Oh yeah & I reguarly get called 'fishboy' by my bandmates. It's all part of the fun!

Well thank goodness my days of living on a tour bus for 6 months at a time are over A week here, a week there's about all I'll do these days.

This explains my obsession with automation.
    More on that with my equipment post.

My kids however...think I rock and am the Coolest Dad.. bless their little hearts!

-al
    I think you rock too Al. Completely and Thoughroly

So yes, I people think I'm weird. But I am equally "weird" about my horse, trail riding, and horse shows. Did I mention my dogs, gardening, golf.....

I'll have to tell y'all about another hobby of mine back in the 80's. Astrophotography. Talk about weird and eccentric.

Vicki thinks I'm nuts and she would probably kill me if she knew how many thousands that I've spent on one fish, let alone the collection.

One of the downsides of my wife being the CFO of the company. No place to rat hole money for fish

hahaha, never thought od it that way! Well yes when I was having major dramas and my fish (all sorts) were dying everyone said GIVE IT UP, your mad, stop spending money etc etc. Then I found SD and everything has turned around a complete 360.

My son was at the Steinhardt aquarium last week and he came home and said there were no discus. I told him maybe it's because discus are not the easiest fish to take care of. He says "well you have discus?" I told him that anyone can learn anything and be successful. It's all in books. In this case on Simply

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast