AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All Geared Up!

Default Re: All Geared Up!

Quote Originally Posted by SriAngel View Post
    Steve,

If the discus dont work out, id like to move into that 60 gallon cube! Thats an amazing setup, im in the process of planning out and designing a new fish room. I would love to see a vid of the way that sea swirl thing works as it would elminate me having to siphon up crap, which takes up most of my time. Here in nyc, we get pristine water much like you. I just tested the water a few minutes ago it was 84 microsiemens out of the tap with no chlorine nor chlorimines. I dont know if i missed it, but do you have a system to harden the water. Since my water is supersoft i had trouble growing out juvies when i was a newbie. Al had suggested i use crushed oyster shell in my sump, and that did the trick.

Best of luck,
    Angel
    Thanks Angel! The videos will be coming soon!

I was a little concerned about the softness of my water and am more so now after your comment.
    My params

PH 7.2 after aging
    KH <1
    GH <1
    TDS water report says 5ppm. Could that be right? I'm having it tested today.

So yeah, super soft. Maybe I can put a bag of crushed coral/oyster shells in the aging barell?

If im not mistaken thats about 10 microsiemens which is like RO water. I take my readings with a Hanna combo pH & EC, i used to use the test kit with the drops and found it bothersome, innacurate, and time consuming. I'm going to wait for your final report on water param after geting it tested today. I buy the 5lb crushed oyster shell from Jehmco, which is super cheap about $5. I put about 30 lbs in my sump to get the reading close to 100ppm. I also supplement their food mix with coral calcium, but the best way to get their calcium for bone development is from their gills through their water. I dont know what the optimal reading should be, so those tds experts want to chime in, id like to see the responses.

Angel
    Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    Thanks Angel! The videos will be coming soon!

I was a little concerned about the softness of my water and am more so now after your comment.
    My params

PH 7.2 after aging
    KH <1
    GH <1
    TDS water report says 5ppm. Could that be right? I'm having it tested today.

So yeah, super soft. Maybe I can put a bag of crushed coral/oyster shells in the aging barell?

Registered Member

Wicked set-up Steve, can't wait to see it up & running. The water would be prime for keeping such fish.

All the best with it!

Regards
    Ahmed

Thanks Ahmed!! We're rolling now!

Are you going for the Aussie challenge?

Steve,

Very cool setup! I'd have to agree with Al here. Those fish are living in the lap of luxury. Funny that you mentioned auto feeders falling in to the tank. I dropped an Eheim in to the 150 gallon just last week. I pulled it out, removed the batteries and let in dry under the metal halides for the day. Works great still! LOL! As for your water concerns, the only thing that shell or crushed coral will do for you is raise the Ph of oyur water. If you are looking to actually boost mineral levels, you could come get some of my water (LOL! I have a GH of 13 and a KH of about 9 (Ph 8.4) out of the tap) or use Kent RO right to boost the GH for your juvies.

Best wishes to you!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good luck Steve!
    I have to use Kent RO too it is easy to dose in the aging barrell, get your self a TDS meter they are cheap and very handy.
    Cheers Kath

Thanks Kath! Chad!
    I gotta lotta experience gh boosting I feel like I've done a college course in chemistry with my planted display.

Sea Swirl auto water change.. super nice. Amazing thought and great implementation. A video would really be nice.
    Ashay Sathe
    Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice.

Blog: http://vrsathe.blogspot.com/

Hi Angel,

I buy the 5lb crushed oyster shell from Jehmco, which is super cheap about $5. I put about 30 lbs in my sump to get the reading close to 100ppm. I also supplement their food mix with coral calcium, but the best way to get their calcium for bone development is from their gills through their water.
    any feed and grain supplier will have those crushed oyster shells....I think agway out here sells it for $16 for 45lbs....Its used as calcium suppliment for egglaying hens.

Alternatively you could marine substrates like crushed coral.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member discusluvr818's Avatar

Great looking set-up Steve-O. I am excited to see how this whole thing unfolds. Best of luck!!
    Raul~

Lately there has been some confusion as to who is running things around here...me or the fish

Quote Originally Posted by discusluvr818 View Post
    Great looking set-up Steve-O. I am excited to see how this whole thing unfolds. Best of luck!!
    Thanks Raul!

Registered Member

Are you going for the Aussie challenge?
    No, I wish I was. Had computer troubles & didn't get email till it was to late.

Hey maybe next time!

Regards
    Ahmed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12