AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: I am Ready

Default I am Ready

Hello All, I am a happy man! Discus coming on Thursday and my tank hold water,LoL.
    Here is the tank I am going to be using for the challenge . This has been used as a sump in one of my systems for years. The tank is a 100 gal show tank with dimensions of 15 3/4" wide x 48" long x 32" high I have never kept fish in this tank before, so we will see how the discus like the depth. The disadvantage to this tank is it has to be on the lower level,which I am not to crazy about.The filters will be an external sand filter,internal water polisher,over the top trickle filter and sponges. I am planning on keeping these guys on the same schedule as the rest of my tanks. I rely on heavy water changes, so this tank will have a plumbed drain and water fill line similar to my others. My tap is filtered through a few carbon blocks and heated for 24 hrs. Prime is added prior to w/c. My PH is 7.0-7.2 after aging, but I do not worry much about the ph on grow outs as much as I watch the temp which will be adjusted according to there behavior. I resealed this tank due to its age and since I bleached it 2x and washed it down with isopropyl alcohol and it held water I will be setting up the filters and refilling the tank with prepared water tonight. I wanted to at least post pictures of where I was and what I plan to use. I will try not to stray away from my normal discus keeping style during this and see how I fair. I will be updating soon. Hope you like the set up.

Kenny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: I am Ready

awesome. LOVE the tank dimension good luck
    benedict

Looking good Kenny! I'll be receiving my discus Thursday as well.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    Hello All, I am a happy man! Discus coming on Thursday and my tank hold water,LoL.
    Here is the tank I am going to be using for the challenge . This has been used as a sump in one of my systems for years. The tank is a 100 gal show tank with dimensions of 15 3/4" wide x 48" long x 32" high I have never kept fish in this tank before, so we will see how the discus like the depth. The disadvantage to this tank is it has to be on the lower level,which I am not to crazy about.The filters will be an external sand filter,internal water polisher,over the top trickle filter and sponges. I am planning on keeping these guys on the same schedule as the rest of my tanks. I rely on heavy water changes, so this tank will have a plumbed drain and water fill line similar to my others. My tap is filtered through a few carbon blocks and heated for 24 hrs. Prime is added prior to w/c. My PH is 7.0-7.2 after aging, but I do not worry much about the ph on grow outs as much as I watch the temp which will be adjusted according to there behavior. I resealed this tank due to its age and since I bleached it 2x and washed it down with isopropyl alcohol and it held water I will be setting up the filters and refilling the tank with prepared water tonight. I wanted to at least post pictures of where I was and what I plan to use. I will try not to stray away from my normal discus keeping style during this and see how I fair. I will be updating soon. Hope you like the set up.

Kenny
    Excellent news Kenny, sounds like an extremely effective set-up! Can't wait to see your fish BLOW up in size.

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Nice set-up and home for your new discus....good luck with everything...

Real Name
    Chris

Looks like a great set up. Can't wait to see the discus in it.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Dang Kenny! you look like youre ready to do some serious work over there. Best of luck in the contest

Registered Member

Nice setup Kenny. Is the external sand filter a fluidized bed filter? I've often toyed with the idea of making one of those.

Good luck.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
    Nice setup Kenny. Is the external sand filter a fluidized bed filter? I've often toyed with the idea of making one of those.

Good luck.

Kirk
    Kirk, yes they are. They work well for me. I do not know about the newer models? Mine are made by Quick Sand and are probably 10 + years old, always have worked perfectly. Let me know if you need one to model from, I have a few that are not in uses.

Kenny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great looking setup Kenny!

Hi Kenny,
    Mate nice looking setup. The challenge fish
    will be happy in there i am sure.
    Good luck & looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Regards,

Thanks everyone. About 13 hours till I pick them up Tank and equipment is ready, water is looking good. Just finished mixing up a new batch of food...now what do I do. Kidding, there is always water to be changed I post pictures of the new guys tomorrow.

Kenny

Not much longer now Kenny. All the best.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Registered Member

Great set-up Kenny to house you newbies

Regards
    Ahmed