AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: The tickle me factor....

Default The tickle me factor....

Well once I found out that I was going to be a contestant, it made me wonder how I would pan out with this particular strain. This lead me to think.....how about getting another strain of fish to compare them to. I got these little guys from Mike Beals at Central Ohio Discus. They are a little bigger than the contestant fish (probably by 1/2 an inch I would say) They will be raised in the same manner as the challenge fish-same water changes, feedings, temp, and water parimeters.

First set is Blue Snakeskin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: The tickle me factor....

Second set RGD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Evelyn,

Great idea! I have a few carnation snakeskin throwback that I am going to do the same with. Do you plan to raise them in the same tank? I already have the snakeskins in another tank. I plant to add them to the contest tank in 30 days, just for QT purposes. Great minds think alike!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Chad,

I recieved these guys from Mike today as well (talked the hubby into it with the reasoning, well if your going to be driving there anyway....) He must truly love me to deal with my fish obcession

All the fish are set up for QT right now, although I will be moving the altum floras to their own tank once I set it up. Just a little behind the 8 ball there Should have it up by the weekend if figure. Until then, they(altum floras) are in a 75 with the SS and RGD. I have changed the QT tank for the challange fish as well. They are in a 35 cube for now, once they are all out of QT they will all have their own 75. I have 4- 75's, 4- 40', 2-55's, 2- 35's to set up. I (or should I say we, Norm and I) will have a busy next few days

Just ordered a Mag-Drive 1200 gph water pump to build a canister system to move and filter some of this water, so my fish room is in disarray right now. I will be posting some of those pics as well as we move along.

That's it for now, hope I covered everything, any question just ask I am glad to answer them

Quote Originally Posted by 2075turner View Post
    Hi Chad,

I recieved these guys from Mike today as well (talked the hubby into it with the reasoning, well if your going to be driving there anyway....) He must truly love me to deal with my fish obcession

All the fish are set up for QT right now, although I will be moving the altum floras to their own tank once I set it up. Just a little behind the 8 ball there Should have it up by the weekend if figure. Until then, they(altum floras) are in a 75 with the SS and RGD. I have changed the QT tank for the challange fish as well. They are in a 35 cube for now, once they are all out of QT they will all have their own 75. I have 4- 75's, 4- 40', 2-55's, 2- 35's to set up. I (or should I say we, Norm and I) will have a busy next few days

Just ordered a Mag-Drive 1200 gph water pump to build a canister system to move and filter some of this water, so my fish room is in disarray right now. I will be posting some of those pics as well as we move along.

That's it for now, hope I covered everything, any question just ask I am glad to answer them
    Sounds like you have ALOT going on Evelyn, busy busy. Nice groups you picked up too. It will be a very interesting sight to see the difference in growth between the 3 different types.

Take care and best of luck with everything,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Evelyn,
    Quarantining two sets of fish from two different sources at the same time is extremely risky. I wish I had known about this. I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm a bit anxious here.

Its absolutely imperative that you maintain strict Quarantines between these two groups of fish...Please.

-al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-20-2009 at 09:14 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Sounds like your hubby is a little more understanding of this compulsion than my wife. I'm trying to sell her on the location of at least 2 more tanks.

Good luck to you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Evelyn,
    Quarantining two sets of fish from two different sources at the same time is extremely risky. I wish I had known about this. I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm a bit anxious here.

Its absolutely imperative that you maintain strict Quarantines between these two groups of fish...Please.

-al
    Al, they are all in their own tanks without a central system and all different hosing. Nothing enters the tank that doesn't belong to that specific tank. I have 8 different phytons for this reason. All my QT tanks are on their own stand and not connected in any way. I even wash my hands and rinse thoughly before going to the next tank. This is why water changes usually take me three hours in the evening and two in the morning Hope this makes you feel better

Evelyn,
    After all that I have seen and experienced over the years....no it really doesn't make feel any better.

I'm not trying to put a damper on anything here, but I think it important that I stress getting in fish from two different suppliers at the same time and trying to maintain QT between each of them and your existing stock is very risky. All fish could look healthy and be from reputable sources and you could still have major issues.
    Hopefully you don't run into any issues this time... but this is something that you may want consider next time around..

Good luck,
    al

Quote Originally Posted by 2075turner View Post
    Al, they are all in their own tanks without a central system and all different hosing. Nothing enters the tank that doesn't belong to that specific tank. I have 8 different phytons for this reason. All my QT tanks are on their own stand and not connected in any way. I even wash my hands and rinse thoughly before going to the next tank. This is why water changes usually take me three hours in the evening and two in the morning Hope this makes you feel better
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images