Quote Originally Posted by Dkarc@Aol.com View Post
Sounds good Angel, but I would include more than 2 fish per tank. To make it a reliable/credible study you need atleast 6 replicates of each. So 6 fish per tank, 6 tanks of replicates (36 fish for softwater, 36 for hard water, and 36 for control). It sounds like a lot, but in fish nutrition/growth studies, replicates are extremely important as little things could effect a single replicate and could throw off the whole study if you dont have sufficient replicates to provide enough scientific information.

-Ryan

Sounds good Ryan,

This aint the University of SriAngel, so i will leave the statistics and the 72 fish needed for the growth study for you academic types. I've seen your greenhouse over there so no excuses! Although you can always bend any scientific experiement to your will statistically, look at the original studies done on smoking back in the 60's! I designed my experiment after something that Jack Wattley designed in one of his books where he tested for growth with live foods, flake foods, and beefheart. I just want to try something empirically that will ease my mind. I certainly know the growth rates of my fish in the past witout any supplements in softwater..sheesh i got 2 years of data compiled. I've noted significant improvement with the crushed oyster shell, and even more now with the added supplements (hopefully perfect it with the mineral supplement from the link you suggested).

Angel