AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Beginning.....

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: The Beginning.....

Love the design of the tank Chad and of course the discus and the dogs....what kind of sand that you are using?
    Thanks for the updates.

Cheers
    Francis

Fish and tank look great Chad, all the best with them. btw love the two dogs
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

LMAO.... Chad, I know your taking this to heart when you hire guard dogs to protect the shipment... haha

Ed
    "There was no spoon"

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Glad they made it there in good shape Chad!
    Tank looks great!

Now.. Best of Luck in growing these beauties up!

-al
    Al,

Great job on the packing! It's actually the pest I've seen other than from Eric from N. Carolina. Thanks for all your hard work. I'll do you and the forum proud on this grow out! Thanks again for everything that you do. Words cannot express my appreciation!

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    Smokin' cool Chad. Most impressive!

Love your dogs!
    \

Thanks Steve! As you well know, I'm a big fan of planted tanks!

Best wishes my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    That is a great looking tank Chad! Beautiful discus you have there.

Good luck,

Kenny
    Kenny,

Thanks brother! I really appreciate all the ind words.

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by 2075turner View Post
    They look great.....Good luck with them
    Thanks for the well wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by basshead View Post
    Wow Chad, they look phenomenal in that tank! Super nice! Glad they arrived without any issues. Bet you are a happy camper!

All the best my friend,

Eddie
    Hey Eddie!

Thanks for the props! Yes, I am super thrilled with these guys! Beautiful fish and super energetic! They are a bit sensitive to light (albinos). They get super active under the night time LED lights. I'm going to try to take a video and post it.

Take care brother!

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    Hey Chad, new fish and tank looks great. Thanks for doing it "Your Way", now we will have something nice to look at through the year. Good job.
    Take care,
    Bill
    Thanks Bill!

I am looking forward to seeing both the tank and the fish grow out.

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wild View Post
    Chad they all look fabulous! Love the labs too! Good luck!
    Hey Kath!

Thanks for the kind words. The pups were super curious about the new comers to the house! They made me laugh out loud when I sat the box down. They acted like it was Christmas. LOL!

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by fishyj View Post
    Looks great!! I need a better camera now!
    I am using a 10 mega pixel Sony cybershot. I like it because it allows me to adjust the exposure and really cuts down on glare, allowing the close up shots without flash.

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
    Chad, nice looking tank (and fish). What kind of cories you have in there?

Kirk
    Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the compliments. I have two types cof corys in this tank. There are 4 Schwartzi and 4 Julii. They are great for cleanup and also act as great dither fish. They are high energy fish, but not so much that they disturb or frighten the discus. These two types have nice detail and look great in a sand bottom tank.

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    looking good Chad. they look so tiny in that tank . it's something about the tank that makes their color a little more vibrant IMO but i can't pin it down to something specific. maybe they are just really happy and they have brightened up for you already? good luck
    Rick,

Thanks for the compliments! I purpously took that full tank shot so that everyone could see just how tiny they look in a tank that big. The height of the tank also makes them look small. It's a 110 tall. The combination of contrasting colors from the plants and the light blue background really makes the fish pop. The fish were full color out of the bags. I can't say that I've done anything special to contribute to good color. I'd say great work by Forrest, Kenny and Al is the biggest factor! They are certainly happy in their new double wide (or tall) LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Love the design of the tank Chad and of course the discus and the dogs....what kind of sand that you are using?
    Thanks for the updates.

Cheers
    Francis
    Hello Francis!

Thank you for the kind words. I use quickcrete play sand from home depot in all my tanks. This tank took three 50lb bags (150lbs) to create a 4" sand bed. The plants love it, the tanks stays clean, and the discus love to forage around in it.

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Fish and tank look great Chad, all the best with them. btw love the two dogs
    Thanks so much for your kind words! The two labs are basically my kids. LOL! The chocolate lab's name is Isis and she's 18 months old. Ares is the yellow (nearly white) and he's 2 years old. They are quite the security team! I actually didn't get mail one time for two days because the mail man was afraid of them! LOL! A formal introduction took care of that. Who's afraid of labs?

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    LMAO.... Chad, I know your taking this to heart when you hire guard dogs to protect the shipment... haha

Ed

Ed,

These days you can never be too careful! LOL! Whoever came close to that box would likely succomb to death by licking!

Take care!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chad...I have to say, the tank looks excellent and the fish look right at home in it! Good luck with these guys. Lookin forward to seein the discus grow along with the plants!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by GrillMaster View Post
    Chad...I have to say, the tank looks excellent and the fish look right at home in it! Good luck with these guys. Lookin forward to seein the discus grow along with the plants!
    Thanks Mark! They're really enjoying their new diggs! I've always grown out young discus in planted tanks. Now that we have been provided with such excellent stock (from Forrest/Kenny/Al) I'm anxious to see where this is going to go. Have a great weekend!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Great looking tank Chad, I can't wait to see the look of a tank in this comp. different to the other's BB's.

The guard dogs at the fish arrival really caught my eye, lov'em!

Brother, hope all goes well for you.

Regards
    Ahmed

Quote Originally Posted by Armandi_Fishcarer View Post
    Great looking tank Chad, I can't wait to see the look of a tank in this comp. different to the other's BB's.

The guard dogs at the fish arrival really caught my eye, lov'em!

Brother, hope all goes well for you.

Regards
    Ahmed
    Thank you for the well wishes Ahmed! I typically get great growth with my methods. The challenge will tell! In the mean time, lets all enjoy these great discus!

The pups guard the contest tank day and night. LOL!

Have a great weekend!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    Thanks so much for your kind words! The two labs are basically my kids. LOL! The chocolate lab's name is Isis and she's 18 months old. Ares is the yellow (nearly white) and he's 2 years old. They are quite the security team! I actually didn't get mail one time for two days because the mail man was afraid of them! LOL! A formal introduction took care of that. Who's afraid of labs?
    I really like labs, don't know why anyone would be scared of them, harder to find a gentler animal imo. I have a black lab called Mishka, she's an old lady now and as gentle as they come. My German Shepherd on the other hand .....
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    I really like labs, don't know why anyone would be scared of them, harder to find a gentler animal imo. I have a black lab called Mishka, she's an old lady now and as gentle as they come. My German Shepherd on the other hand .....
    Paul,

My labs are pretty mild mannered. A few months back when I was laid up after an appendicitis I saw the female go crazy when the mail man came to the door. She is rather protective of the house, which I like, but this was NUTS! When he came to the door I swear she jumped 5 feet in the air barking. I checked her, gave her a bit of a swat and she's been much better since.

At night she likes to patrol. She'll race from the back yard, through the house to the front door investigating every little noise that she hears. If nothing is really going on, she'll post in the center of the back yard and just watch and listen. She's quite the guard dog.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123