AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How I manage water quality....

Default Re: How I manage water quality....

I was wondering how often do you change the carbon out? Was that posted or did I miss that? Thanks, Arkangel77

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel77 View Post
    I was wondering how often do you change the carbon out? Was that posted or did I miss that? Thanks, Arkangel77
    I just changed the first batch out at the 7 week mark. I am kind of regretting that. I probably should have waited to the 60 day mark. It's not that it's a bad thing, but GAC is not exactly cheap. My reactor is pretty big and holds a lot of carbon. I guess it would all depend on the size of the reactor and quantity of carbon. Mine holds about 1 liter.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I understand - I need to figure out if I want to put just the outlet from the Skimmer threw Carbon or do I put the feeds from the pumps to the tanks threw a reactor like you did? Different ways to accomplish the same thing.

Thanks, Arkangel77

Very true!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chad, what do you use as a carbon reactor and how is it hooked up. Also, I saw it mentioned that the ozone takes care of organics, but not so much in the way of bacteria. Do you think that adding UV would be helpful or unnecessary? Are there any things that you have had to change along the way?

Great thread by the way, some great ideas. Very interesting read.

Adrian
    Phillipians 4:4-7

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    Chad, what do you use as a carbon reactor and how is it hooked up. Also, I saw it mentioned that the ozone takes care of organics, but not so much in the way of bacteria. Do you think that adding UV would be helpful or unnecessary? Are there any things that you have had to change along the way?

Great thread by the way, some great ideas. Very interesting read.

Adrian
    Adrian,

I use a generic media reactor. You can find these on Ebay for pretty cheap. Here's a link to one similar to mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Phosphate-Nitrat...d=p3286.c0.m14

Basically the reactor is plumbed in line with the sump return line. The return pump pumps water out of the sump, through the carbon reactor, back to the tank.

Ozone, IMO, works better on bacteria than UV. Ozone destroys bateria cells through cell lysing. Basically ozone attacks the bacteria and destroys it. Ozone is at least 10 times stronger than chlorine. I have use UV in the past and can't say that's it's really worth the money.

There have been no changes to the setup since it was started just a week prior to the contest fish arriving. I did tinker with the O3 levels a bit to see how much of an impact it would have on TDS. There was a point that I saw a drop in the TDS. This was NOT my goal. The goal is to maintain TDS as close to if not equal to the original TDS.

Thanks for reading the thread! Excellent water quality through filtration can be achieved and is much easier (less work) then changing tons of water. In 11 weeks of this contest I have changed water in this tank 11 times. The total amount of water changed is probably less than 700 gallons. My growth compared to others at this point is the same. We will not know until the end of this contest if, in fact, this method of grow out (size factor) is better or worse than that of frequent massive water changes.

Thanks again for reading!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am finnaly getting around to this build!

These are some parts I am considering.
    What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

maybe - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Does it look like I am forgetting anything?
    Arkangel77

I am finnaly getting around to this build!

These are some parts I am considering.
    What do you think?

maybe - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Does it look like I am forgetting anything?
    Arkangel77
    Not bad! I see your taking it up a notch with the ORP probe/controller. Very nice! I am assuming that you already have a sump? If you do, the you are all set! Nice job!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yep my 180 has a BIG wet dry with a sump and so forth. It’s a drilled tank as I always intended to use the Wet Dry. I am a nervous about the Ozone LVL's so the Probe/controller will put me at ease when it comes to that part.

I am gona start accumulating parts soon and get this thing on line.

ALL I use is the wet/dry right now with water changes twice a week. I am also thinking about adding a canister? I do plan to eliminate the UV when I get all this Online.

Thanks, Arkangel77

Yep my 180 has a BIG wet dry with a sump and so forth. It’s a drilled tank as I always intended to use the Wet Dry. I am a nervous about the Ozone LVL's so the Probe/controller will put me at ease when it comes to that part.

I am gona start accumulating parts soon and get this thing on line.

ALL I use is the wet/dry right now with water changes twice a week. I am also thinking about adding a canister? I do plan to eliminate the UV when I get all this Online.

Thanks, Arkangel77
    Sounds like a sweet plan! Take some pictures when you're all done! We can start a collection. LOL!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    Adrian,

I use a generic media reactor. You can find these on Ebay for pretty cheap. Here's a link to one similar to mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Phosphate-Nitrat...d=p3286.c0.m14

Basically the reactor is plumbed in line with the sump return line. The return pump pumps water out of the sump, through the carbon reactor, back to the tank.

Ozone, IMO, works better on bacteria than UV. Ozone destroys bateria cells through cell lysing. Basically ozone attacks the bacteria and destroys it. Ozone is at least 10 times stronger than chlorine. I have use UV in the past and can't say that's it's really worth the money.

There have been no changes to the setup since it was started just a week prior to the contest fish arriving. I did tinker with the O3 levels a bit to see how much of an impact it would have on TDS. There was a point that I saw a drop in the TDS. This was NOT my goal. The goal is to maintain TDS as close to if not equal to the original TDS.

Thanks for reading the thread! Excellent water quality through filtration can be achieved and is much easier (less work) then changing tons of water. In 11 weeks of this contest I have changed water in this tank 11 times. The total amount of water changed is probably less than 700 gallons. My growth compared to others at this point is the same. We will not know until the end of this contest if, in fact, this method of grow out (size factor) is better or worse than that of frequent massive water changes.

Thanks again for reading!

Best wishes!
    Good stuff Chad, thanks for the info!

Adrian
    Phillipians 4:4-7

You bet!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    My only concern, with all the agitation, is the amount of C02 being gassed off in the process. I already go through a substantial amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    Steve,
    I go through about 10lbs of CO2 every 4 to 6 months. It costs me about $40 a year to keep the CO2 flowing. I had a concern about it early on too, but over the years it really hasn't been too much of a problem.
    Take care!
    Chad, I got a question - When your water flows into your Overflow - Do you have a standpipe or IS the chamber full of BioBalls? Just how much turbulance does your water see on its way down? I am also getting a CO2 system and I am wondeirng if I need to be concerned about off gassing? My Overflow is full of bio balls and my water gets churned up a good bit.

Thanks, Arkangel77

Chad, I got a question - When your water flows into your Overflow - Do you have a standpipe or IS the chamber full of BioBalls? Just how much turbulance does your water see on its way down? I am also getting a CO2 system and I am wondeirng if I need to be concerned about off gassing? My Overflow is full of bio balls and my water gets churned up a good bit.

Thanks, Arkangel77
    My overflow is completely open. I like the idea of the bio balls though! I would say that the amount of degassing/water turbulence is probably goign to depen on how rapid your turnover is. If you are moving a lot of water wuickly through the overflow, the you create more turbulence and thus more gass off. I'm about in the middle. Not slow flow but not a gusher either. I have to refill my 5lb CO2 tank two or three times a year. Not too bad IMO.

Hope that helps!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes - I liked the Idea of the Bio Balls also - Sorta another section of filter. My water flow is a lot like yours I think. Not Crazy but I flow a decent ammount. I may just table this one & re-visit if I need to once the CO2 system is in place. The reson I did not do a Standpipe in the first place is because my Overflow is TIGHT! I can not fit a standard style standpipe - I have thought up a way to make a slimer desighn but I am not sure if it would work or not till I try it? I Think it will as the desighn is simple once you understand whats going on.

Anyway - thanks, Arkangel77

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast