ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How I manage water quality....

Default Re: How I manage water quality....

Arkangel77,

What about the standpipe is a proplem? If it is the crook at the top, you try this type. It is the quietest I have ever used.

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

Default standpipe

Here is a simple standpipe that doesn't take up much room. It is also very, very quiet.

Default standpipe

Here is a simple standpipe that doesn't take up as much room as a standard one. It is also one of the quietest I have ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel77 View Post
    Yes - I liked the Idea of the Bio Balls also - Sorta another section of filter. My water flow is a lot like yours I think. Not Crazy but I flow a decent ammount. I may just table this one & re-visit if I need to once the CO2 system is in place. The reson I did not do a Standpipe in the first place is because my Overflow is TIGHT! I can not fit a standard style standpipe - I have thought up a way to make a slimer desighn but I am not sure if it would work or not till I try it? I Think it will as the desighn is simple once you understand whats going on.

Anyway - thanks, Arkangel77
    Sound slike you have a really good handle on what you're doing!

Share some pics when you're done. I'd love to check out your setup!

Have a great weekend!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yes - I liked the Idea of the Bio Balls also - Sorta another section of filter. My water flow is a lot like yours I think. Not Crazy but I flow a decent ammount. I may just table this one & re-visit if I need to once the CO2 system is in place. The reson I did not do a Standpipe in the first place is because my Overflow is TIGHT! I can not fit a standard style standpipe - I have thought up a way to make a slimer desighn but I am not sure if it would work or not till I try it? I Think it will as the desighn is simple once you understand whats going on.

Anyway - thanks, Arkangel77
    If you do a search for 'Hofer Gurgle Buster' you will find a stand pipe that will fit in tight places, is very easy to construct and is very quiet.

Best of luck....
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by LYTEHOUSE View Post
    If you do a search for 'Hofer Gurgle Buster' you will find a stand pipe that will fit in tight places, is very easy to construct and is very quiet.

Best of luck....
    Thank you House

Very Nice
    http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson...struction.html
    Last edited by Arkangel77; 08-22-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Sorry,

I didn't have enough posts to post the link.

If it works for you it is very, very quiet. The airline at the top either needs to be very tight, or you need to use rubber bands around it so the water current doesn't suck it in.
    Lynn

Well I just got the 1st Item for this Set up
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123

I guess I ned to start a new thread maybe - LOL

Ark

Well I just got the 1st Item for this Set up
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123

I guess I ned to start a new thread maybe - LOL

Ark
    You're on your way!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Get a thread started and send us a link
    Lynn

Chad,

I have just come out of saltwater corals and trying to relearn keeping Discus.

Reading this thread is a head warp. Your filtration is much like what we used in salt and nothing like I used to use when I kept Discus before. I may have missed it and asking things you have already answered, but have you been in salt water or borrowed from salt water?

Are you keeping any information on the success of your different equipment in keeping Discus? Since keeping saltwater critters made me familiar with larger pumps, skimmers, sumps, overflows, etc.... it would be very interesting to use some of this technology. I am just wondering how much it is enabling you to keep these beautiful fish.

Honestly before all I used on adults were Marineland biowheel filters and 90% water changes once or twice a week and I had no problems. But your information here is very interesting. I have enjoyed reading it very much.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by LYTEHOUSE View Post
    Chad,

I have just come out of saltwater corals and trying to relearn keeping Discus.

Reading this thread is a head warp. Your filtration is much like what we used in salt and nothing like I used to use when I kept Discus before. I may have missed it and asking things you have already answered, but have you been in salt water or borrowed from salt water?

Are you keeping any information on the success of your different equipment in keeping Discus? Since keeping saltwater critters made me familiar with larger pumps, skimmers, sumps, overflows, etc.... it would be very interesting to use some of this technology. I am just wondering how much it is enabling you to keep these beautiful fish.

Honestly before all I used on adults were Marineland biowheel filters and 90% water changes once or twice a week and I had no problems. But your information here is very interesting. I have enjoyed reading it very much.
    Lynn,

The only salt water tank that I ever kept was in college and I didn't use ANY of this equipment. LOL!

Most of the success of this system is being recorded in the contest fish discus threads. I just posted a 14 week measurement thread. Since the system and it's parameters haven't changed too much, I really haven't maintained any "system" progress reports. I am relying on the health and growth of the fish to refelct the effectiveness of the system. So far so good!

I like this system becaus eit allows me to be less "hand sin the tank" and more sitting on my butt watching it.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just ordered the 2nd component. I caught a sale so I decided to go with a name brand I recognized. ALSO dealing with a US company as appose to Shanghai! Once I get this all together I will post a Link and thread as I did with my Macron Filter - Here is what I just Ordered!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=19649

Arkangel77

I just ordered the 2nd component. I caught a sale so I decided to go with a name brand I recognized. ALSO dealing with a US company as appose to Shanghai! Once I get this all together I will post a Link and thread as I did with my Macron Filter - Here is what I just Ordered!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=19649

Arkangel77
    Sounds good!

The reason that I go with cheap chinese components is due to the fact that they are cheap. If you pay hundreds of dollars for a component that does the same thing as one that is less than $100, then you don't feel so bad when the CD chip expires. The life of the chip is also dependent on how much you run the unit. Typically these chips are only good for about 7000 hours in aquarium applications. There are some industrial strenght generators that are actually cheaper than the one that you referenced that run about 15000 hours. I am in the process of adapting the indusrial strength to my larger scale fish room (2000 gallon system), rather than to a single tank.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

well if it had not bin on sale I would not have bought it. I was more concerned about the Controller / probe part of the unit than the Generator itself. Lets hope I made the right choice! LOL

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast