AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: my Simple Plan

Default my Simple Plan

Well this will be my Simple Plan for the entire year raising these young discus and hopefully grow them to full size adults.
    Discus originally came from the Amazon rivers with extreme soft water and sometimes very low ph values but I have read books and articles which said hard water is better for growing discus to their maximum potential.
    Other articles and breeders recommend discus only be kept in soft water to maintain their health.
    Everyone has different water parameters and I think anyone can be successful whatever their water conditions by following all the fundamental requirements for keeping discus.
    Discus are actually pretty hardy and adapt quite easily if kept stress free which requires plenty of fresh water, good food and enough room to be comfortable.

The water where we moved to is very soft compared to what I have been used to successfully raise discus and this contest has provided me an excellent opportunity for fun and to raise these discus in my soft water and to see how they compare with my prior experience and that of other contestants.
    This will not be a formal scientific experiment but allow me to establish a baseline for my discus by using an absolutely simple setup with the least amount of variables.

This setup will be one that most first time discus owners could start with and be maintained with the simplest of efforts and hopefully least amount of problems.
    They will be fed a very traditional diet comprised of beefheart and shrimp, flake food and pellets.
    My water and food will have no additives and I will only rely on keeping a stress free clean tank, good food and daily water changes.
    They will have minimum 50% daily water change, usually more and siphoning off excess food after one to two hours.
    The tank is a 55 gallon, bare bottom with 2 large biological sponge filters and a hang on the back filter only to remove particulates from the water and this will remain their home through the year.
    If the discus start pairing off as they get older and fight too much I will split them up if needed into other 55 gallon tanks with no other fish.
    Their present tank is located in a high traffic area located between our living room and family room and anyone that comes to visit will immediately see "The Contest Discus".

Bill

Default Re: my Simple Plan

Sounds like it is going to be very interesting Bill. I look forward to your progress! Good luck!
    Cheers Kath

Sounds great Bill! Good luck to you!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sounds like a good plan Bill.
    I look forward to watching your progress.
    All the best,

Real Name
    Chris

Sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to your updates. Good Luck.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Registered Member

Bill, the man with the plan! Great idea, can't wait too see!

Regards
    Ahmed