AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally, they're here..

Registered Member

Default Re: Finally, they're here..

thanks eddie and to all for the nice words..

anyways, here's what i did that i didn't mentioned to this thread.. my bad.. this is about acclimation process after i got the fish..

i did the most common method of adding a little water from the tank to the bag and letting it stay for 15mins. i keep adding more water from the tank to the bag and i continue for atleast an hour.. so that they will be able to adjust the water temp. i did this after like 45mins. floating top of the aquarium water..

(when i mentioned about me leaving for work in 20mins. that didn't happened, i am making sure that the fish will be ok when i put them into their new house, so i'm late for almost 2hrs. i forgot to mention this to my thread, my bad..)

did i do the right thing in acclimatizing them guys? hope i did..

thanks for reading guys..

marvin

Hi Marvin,
    Actually that explains alot...I looked real close that fish pics and movies and noticed that the fins were a bit burned...no one else had that problem...and I am pretty sure it was because of the way you acclimated them.... It can lead to ammonia burns..if the pH going in is higher (generally over 7.0 is a problem) than that of the pH in the bag.

Generally its best when you recieve fish that have been shipped to just float the bags to equalize the temp...and then to just take the fish out and place it in the new tank...less damage that way.

The way you did it is okay if the fish are not shipped, but only transported short term in a bag.

The burns I see are superficial and will heal no problem.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Marvin,
    Actually that explains alot...I looked real close that fish pics and movies and noticed that the fins were a bit burned...no one else had that problem...and I am pretty sure it was because of the way you acclimated them.... It can lead to ammonia burns..if the pH going in is higher (generally over 7.0 is a problem) than that of the pH in the bag.

Generally its best when you recieve fish that have been shipped to just float the bags to equalize the temp...and then to just take the fish out and place it in the new tank...less damage that way.

The way you did it is okay if the fish are not shipped, but only transported short term in a bag.

The burns I see are superficial and will heal no problem.

hth,
    al
    thanks for the observation al.. i did notice that one of the fish only have one fin moving in the video..

when i checked them today, they seems fine.. though, they just nibble the food that i gave them.. that didn't alarm me, as that is common for discus not eating right away after they moved to their new place..

just finish the water change.. they look happy as of today.. and a little shy when i approach the tank..

Registered Member

i saw what you mean al, about one of the fish the fin is burned.. will it heal itself? or, is it gonna be like that forever?

Marvin,
    the fish look awesome. No worries about them being a little shy, they will warm up to you in no time. Keep movements slow around the tank and offer them small portions of food when you approach them. What is the temp? good luck.

Kenny

Hi Marvin,

Glad to see you have your fish now, they look fat, an extra week at Al's.
    That is so common everyone says to slowly add water to the bag to acclimate fish. Better way to acclimate shipped fish is just one of the many things that can be learned from this website.
    Great looking video and pictures. Wish you all the best with them this coming year.

Bill

Registered Member

Marvin, glad to see the fish are in & well, fab pics/vids!

Regards
    Ahmed

Hi Marvin,

Glad to see that all went well with receiving your fish. All the best to you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12