ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: One or two filters?

Registered Member

Default One or two filters?

Hi All,
    Is it better to have one large canister filter for my new 6'x2'x2' planted discus community tank or two smaller ones?

Many Kindly Fishy Regards
    Jason

Default Re: One or two filters?

I use two canister filters for my 90 gallon, in case one breaks the other one hopefully will manage the bio-load until I can fix the broken one.

I definately like to use two, but I like to have two different types. I prefer an overrated (GPH) canister and a wet dry. If you are using CO2, you may go trougha bit more gas depending on your wet/dry turnover. HTH!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Ricardo

if you must do one then i would say an FX5. ive heard really good things about that filter. when i was asking the same question for my 125 the general consensus was to do 2 filters which is what i did. i went with 2 xp3 and i dont regret it one bit

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Another vote for 2 if you're willing to spend the up-front cost and the long term operational cost.

Another consideration: you can tear one down for a deep cleaning while the other one is up and running.

Tim

Honestly I think there are far too many MORE reasons to go with two than one. IMO two is a win win.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

13 Discus, 17 bettas, 1 beardy, 2 cats, 4 rats, 1 horse, 25 g community tank, 1 fahaka, 7 pea's and 2 southerns...it just doesnt seem to be enough!

"Ive learned from experience..whats your excuse?"

Without hesitation 2 ...... or maybe 3

Registered Member

Two, for a number of reasons. It's a long tank. Anything 4' and over with a single intake, I prefer at least two canisters. This helps pull out more detritus and such and allows for better "mixing" and less potential for dead spots, so overall a better functioning system than a single canister. I prefer both to be the same make and model. In case one fails, it's likely the other will be fine. And, you only have to buy parts and media for a single brand, meaning you can keep better control of your stock. Parts from one can be used in the other, should both fail simultaneously (I've had this happen with Eheim 2028s within a week of one another). With two, you will be virtually guaranteed to have at least one running should a filter fail. With two filters, as well, you can be more comfortable cleaning one at a time. You can usually clean one completely to the point of replacing all media and not have a problem (in a reasonably stocked tank). The list goes on... definitely better to have two.

Two, for all the reasons already stated.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

My reason for 2 has nothing to do with fail-safe or size considerations or anything. I'm a lot more practical. When I clean filters, I clean 1 this time and the other next time. Can't destroy the bacteria this way and cause a new cycle in the tank. Doesn't matter to me if it's sponge filters in a 10 gallon or canisters in a 180, same principle.

Jeff