ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week #1: The first water change!

Default Week #1: The first water change!

Well, as you all well know, I dont' change water that often. Today was the 7th day that I've been raising the challenge discus and they are doing great!! I took some readings prior to the water change and it looked like this:

TDS: 160 ppm
    KH: 50 ppm
    GH: 85 ppm
    Ph: 6.8 (CO2 influenced)
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Phosphate: .50 ppm

As you can see, the readings were pretty much spot on.

Todays water change was 60 gallons. The tank is a 110 gallons minus the 4" substrate comes out to a bit more than a 50% water change. This was all new to the babies in the tank. LOL! They thought their world was coming to an end. They simply manned their hiding places while everything was going on. I just don't have my hands in the tank unless I'm feeding, and they like that!

The parameters that I am getting after a week of not touching the tank, other than 4 to 5 feedings a day, are so good that I will stick with the 50% water change weekly throughout the duration of the contest. I had initial concerns that there might be too much debris accumulation, but I had very little today. I was pretty pleased with that. 7 days, nothing but feedings, and a whole lot of enjoyment!

After the water change was complete, they got some home made beefheart and boy did they tear that up!

Video #1: Eating out of my hand!

Video #2: Feeding frenzy!

Notice how well the beefheart stays together! It's a pretty good recipe in my book! Anyway, enjoy the pics, videos and the update!

Best wishes!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Chris

Default Re: Week #1: The first water change!

Looks like the discus and tank are doing great. Your BH mix does hold together well. I bet that cuts down on the mess in the tank. Keep up the good work.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Looking good Chad, great videos!

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

what kind of substarate are you using in the tank? looks great

how much BH do you feed daily/weekly?
    benedict

You're making it look way to easy Chad! Great videos!!

Registered Member

that's a nice one..

Looking fantastic Chad!

Love the music to the the feeding frenzie video, makes it all the more scary!!!!!
    Cheers Kath

Love your setup. I am a planted tank lover myself. Can't wait to see how these guys do compared to the bb setups.

Funny how a discus bully is more concerned with keeping the others away from the food than eating it him/herself . Imagine the amusement watching the same behavior in my tank with the bully being a 2 1/2" runt chasing 3 & 4" fish all over the tank!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    Looks like the discus and tank are doing great. Your BH mix does hold together well. I bet that cuts down on the mess in the tank. Keep up the good work.

Chris
    Thanks Chris! Yeah, not too much mess. It holds up nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Looking good Chad, great videos!

Take care,

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by fish4fun View Post
    what kind of substarate are you using in the tank? looks great
    That is quickrete play sand from home depot. It's cheap and it looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by gotfish? View Post
    how much BH do you feed daily/weekly?
    They get two beefheart and two seafood feedings daily. I'm not sure on the weight/quantity though. I'll have to weigh one of the feedings to tell you for sure. I feed bloodworm as snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    You're making it look way to easy Chad! Great videos!!
    Steve,

Getting started was the hard part. I'm just enjoying the year now! In fact, I'm on my way to Las Vegas this morning! LOL! Should be a fun weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by MRQuad View Post
    that's a nice one..
    Thanks Marvin!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wild View Post
    Looking fantastic Chad!

Love the music to the the feeding frenzie video, makes it all the more scary!!!!!
    Thanks Kath! I was trying to find the jaws theme, but no luck. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by zn394 View Post
    Love your setup. I am a planted tank lover myself. Can't wait to see how these guys do compared to the bb setups.

Funny how a discus bully is more concerned with keeping the others away from the food than eating it him/herself . Imagine the amusement watching the same behavior in my tank with the bully being a 2 1/2" runt chasing 3 & 4" fish all over the tank!
    This will be a good test of methods. I too am curious to see the results. It is funny watching them eat. The bully that you see will eat his share and then hover of the food like he dosen't know when his next meal is going to come from. It's funny to watch!

I'm sure you're little one looks crazy chasing all the big guys away! LOL!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Larry

Thumbs up Re: Week #1: The first water change!

Chad:

The fish look to be nicely settled in and that tank looks great. So play sand, I will have to keep that in mind when I get around to doing a display tank. The fish look to be doing great, it will be very interesting to see how they do in comparision to the BB tanks. Week one and all is going well!!

Larry

So Chad, How do the plants do with the sand? I use flourite and their root sytems are tremendous! I thought sand would be too compact and make it harder for the plants to develope healthy roots. I really like your setup.
    Jeff

Registered Member

WoW Chad, I can see how well your Food Mix really does bind together well with no gelatine.
    Your w/c ritual should pay off if your tank is keeped in such a fab condition.
    You have a bully although the others don't seem to really mind as they are getting in their food intake.
    Love the sounds you produce in the vids!

Regards
    Ahmed

Quote Originally Posted by Larry208 View Post
    Chad:

The fish look to be nicely settled in and that tank looks great. So play sand, I will have to keep that in mind when I get around to doing a display tank. The fish look to be doing great, it will be very interesting to see how they do in comparision to the BB tanks. Week one and all is going well!!

Larry
    Larry, thanks you for your comments and kind words! I too am looking forward to the final scoring of the fish to see how they rate against standard methods.

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by zn394 View Post
    So Chad, How do the plants do with the sand? I use flourite and their root sytems are tremendous! I thought sand would be too compact and make it harder for the plants to develope healthy roots. I really like your setup.
    ZN394,

Thanks! Yes, I really like my recipe. IT WORKS! The root systems of 1 year old plants are massive. I just rearranged another tank and pulled sword out. The roots were about 10" and there were a million of them. They do well. Thanks for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Armandi_Fishcarer View Post
    WoW Chad, I can see how well your Food Mix really does bind together well with no gelatine.
    Your w/c ritual should pay off if your tank is keeped in such a fab condition.
    You have a bully although the others don't seem to really mind as they are getting in their food intake.
    Love the sounds you produce in the vids!

Regards
    Ahmed
    Ahmed,

Thanks for the kind words! I have used this water change schedule for a few years now, even on grow outs. It works! My interest is how well does it work against the other methods. We'll see! I'm glad to hear that you like the videos. They're a lot of fun to make!

Best wishes!
    Last edited by Chad Hughes; 06-02-2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looking forward to see the difference once the challenge finishes between a planted tank and a BB tank. Who will win?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast