AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody feed white worms?

Registered Member

Default Re: Anybody feed white worms?

I would agree that it is best food for fry, once enriched, but is it for large adult discus?

I do not enrich white worms. Do they really need to be enriched? I never read anything about the necessity to enrich white worm.

I never said it was not good, I would think it's the best food for fry because they are so small, but not necessary for adults.

In any case, a variety of food is the very best, so brine shrimps could be given with white worms etc and I am sure the fish would appreciate this.

The thread however was about white worms

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Artemia is a good source of live food for discus.Through artemia enrichment program,discus can be enriched with vitamins,proteins,immune stimulant and medications........even white worms needs to enrich to have nutritional value too.....one bottle of brine shrimps can last for a long time....expensive.......Best food....why so many people give their fry brine shrimps from the start.....if no good why bother with brine shrimps at all...........I have no written proof why brine shrimp is an ideal food source.....so if you want proof better go and visit farms and talk to the Commercial Pro Discus breeders........

Cheers
    Francis

Registered Member

yeah, like that's really obvious!

when see the worms about to past out then feed the fish....common sence lah

Cheers
    Francis

Registered Member

that has always been my concern. Not so much to underdose but to overdose with med. What if you prepare tons of white worms with med and pretty much one or 2 fish eat most of it? not sure what woudl be an overdose. In any case, the medication will definitly not be spread equaly amoung fish.

When I need such med though, my fish usualy don't eat so that settle it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    A problem with soaking live food with meds is that you have no way of knowing how much med the fish is getting. You need to know that they are getting a therapeutic level.

Real Name
    Francis

hahha I will end my opinions from NOW ON WITH YOU.......YOU HAVE TO USE TRAILS AND ERRORS TO LEARN ABOUT DISCUS.

FRANCIS

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    How long do you soak them, like with metronidazole? I guess one must not soad them too long or they will die? And what vitamines do you use?

thanks.
    Daniella,
    Soak time is different depending on the medications. I usually soak till the worms are very
    active and dump them straight into the tank, the medications are directly fed into the Discus's mouth
    instead of diluted into the tank water, as I remember Jack Wattley use garlic instead
    of metro, and only fed whiteworm to his best Discus. Just make sure all of the peat moss or/and dirt is out the worms before feeding(you know how to do this right?).

Vitamines I used were Centrum Silver(giving away my age), look at the exp.date.

Cliff

Registered Member

I have no clue how to remove the dirth from the worms. how do you do that? Do you mean from inside the worm or the dirt that is outside the worms? I just put them in water and they pile up toghether and then I can gather them and they are clean outside. but I do not know how to remove the dirt that is inside the wormws.

I fed them with the dirt inside so far, is that a problem?

Also I have started to dip my beefheart and frozen bloodworms in Seachchem Garlic Guard and the fish love it.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Daniella,
    Soak time is different depending on the medications. I usually soak till the worms are very
    active and dump them straight into the tank, the medications are directly fed into the Discus's mouth
    instead of diluted into the tank water, as I remember Jack Wattley use garlic instead
    of metro, and only fed whiteworm to his best Discus. Just make sure all of the peat moss or/and dirt is out the worms before feeding(you know how to do this right?).

Vitamines I used were Centrum Silver(giving away my age), look at the exp.date.

Cliff
    Last edited by Daniella; 06-02-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Registered Member

Rather than using trial and errors I prefer to do it with knowledge. Work better.

hahha I will end my opinions from NOW ON WITH YOU.......YOU HAVE TO USE TRAILS AND ERRORS TO LEARN ABOUT DISCUS.

FRANCIS

Registered Member

I have no clue how to remove the dirth from the worms. how do you do that? Do you mean from inside the worm or the dirt that is outside the worms? I just put them in water and they pile up toghether and then I can gather them and they are clean outside. but I do not know how to remove the dirt that is inside the wormws.

I fed them with the dirt inside so far, is that a problem?

Also I have started to dip my beefheart and frozen bloodworms in Seachchem Garlic Guard and the fish love it.
    Hi Daniella,
    I meant removing the dirt from outside the worms. I usually have a glass place on top of
    the soil and the worms will stick to the glass. The worms are then place in a screen type strainer, above a bowl of water about 1/4" the worms will slowly make its way into the
    clean water. You can also buyer one of those blue color worm storage container sold
    at the LFS, the process is the same as the bowl with the water just a smaller scale.

Happy Feeding!
    Cliff

that has always been my concern. Not so much to underdose but to overdose with med. What if you prepare tons of white worms with med and pretty much one or 2 fish eat most of it? not sure what woudl be an overdose. In any case, the medication will definitly not be spread equaly amoung fish.

When I need such med though, my fish usualy don't eat so that settle it.
    Another good reason for medicating the water column when possible.

Registered Member

Ok I was putting them in water and that way some of the dirt was coming off and they worms were getting tied toghether with time, making a small ball.

I did not have glass so I put a sheet of saranwrap for the moment but will get piece of glass soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Hi Daniella,
    I meant removing the dirt from outside the worms. I usually have a glass place on top of
    the soil and the worms will stick to the glass. The worms are then place in a screen type strainer, above a bowl of water about 1/4" the worms will slowly make its way into the
    clean water. You can also buyer one of those blue color worm storage container sold
    at the LFS, the process is the same as the bowl with the water just a smaller scale.

Happy Feeding!
    Cliff

I don't worry too much about getting a little dirt into my tanks. I figure it'll come out with the next wc and whatever pathogens that live in soil won't live long in the tank. Hope I'm not wrong! I've never tried the `glass' method and saran wrap sounds like quite a good idea. Let us know how it works. I just dig through the dirt looking for clumps of worms and remove them with my fingers. I consider it a lovely alternative to contemplating my naval.

Registered Member

Ok but what about the little dirt that is inside the worm? is it safe for pathogens? I guess it should not be a concern much or we would have heard about it before probably?

Saranwrap does not work very well, at least not on its own because it is notr rigid anough and does not stick to the soil much, so there is space in between an the worms don't stick to it at all. I only put it to keep humidity better but it is not helpfull in order to collect the worms. I will definitly get the glass.

I don't worry too much about getting a little dirt into my tanks. I figure it'll come out with the next wc and whatever pathogens that live in soil won't live long in the tank. Hope I'm not wrong! I've never tried the `glass' method and saran wrap sounds like quite a good idea. Let us know how it works. I just dig through the dirt looking for clumps of worms and remove them with my fingers. I consider it a lovely alternative to contemplating my naval.

As I understand it, the pathogens that live in dirt can not live in water. When dumped in water they will simply die and become - well - protein.

Registered Member

Ok, that's all cool then.

As I understand it, the pathogens that live in dirt can not live in water. When dumped in water they will simply die and become - well - protein.

Registered Member

Martha,
    Any pesticide in the dirt and has the dirt been already sterilize?

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 06-04-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast