ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update 6/2/2009

Default Update 6/2/2009

Not much to report. The kids are eating like crazy. I started doing an extra small water change in the afternoon. I noticed a little rise in ammonia at the end of the day so apparently my sponge filter wasn't as cycled as I thought. That being the case I decided to do a fishless cycle on the new canister filter before I add it to the tank. I'll be doing around 150% w/c until the new filter is installed.

My daily routine:

6 am lights On
    7 am feed seafood/beefheart mix
    9 am feed fbw
    11 am auto feed tetra color granules
    12 pm vaccum any crap and uneaten food 50% w/c
    1 pm feed seafood/beefheart mix
    3 pm auto feed ON prime reef flake
    5 pm auto feed tetra color granules
    7 pm feed seafood/beefheart mix
    8 pm 100% w/c
    9 pm feed fbw
    11 pm lights out

Here's a couple more pics and a video. There will always be more pics and videos uploaded to my photobucket file so please visit there as well.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Update 6/2/2009

looking great Steve. do you make sure they eat the FBW in their last meal of the day? i know FBW are not messy in a cone but on the floor they will get kind of messy and just want to make sure they are eating all of it. i have 2 cones and it ensures that the floor stays FBW free and they get every last one of them

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Thanks Rick, Yeah it's the least messy and fully consumed of all the the foods which is why I feed it last. Funny, I never thought of using the cones for the frozen ones. I guess that works, huh?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    Thanks Rick, Yeah it's the least messy and fully consumed of all the the foods which is why I feed it last. Funny, I never thought of using the cones for the frozen ones. I guess that works, huh?
    yeah, i always just plop into the cone and it takes a couple of minutes to sink into the cone but when it does my discus know it's lunch time and they attack it! i also put my frozen brine shrimp in there. i'm telling you, no mess! the best part is that the cones are like 2-3 bucks.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Looks like a recipe for success Steve, lots of good water and food!

Take care my friend,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Steve-O,
    Glad to see them doing so well Great routine you have going. I love that some of the eye are really filling in red. 150% w/c daily, nice! Best of luck to you.

Kenny

Registered Member

Your measurable amount of ammonia you noticed is not necessarily because of an un-cycled sponge filter, but rather the inefficiency of the sponge filter from the high amounts of ammonia that are being produced with so much food being fed. There will always be small amounts of ammonia in the water, depending on the efficiency/maintenance of your biological filtration. I dont remember what your water parameters are like, but what is your pH?? So long as it is below 7.5 or so, the ammonia really isnt an issue as it is converted into its relatively harmless state ammonium (NH4+).

They look great though, keep up the good work....cant wait to see how everyone's fish turn out in a few months time.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

Registered Member

they look sooo beautiful steve.. keep up the good work!

Ditto !!!!!!!!!! Looking great!
    Cheers Kath

Hi Steve, well all that food and plenty of water change is showing in your fish.
    They are looking great ! Look bigger already.

Bill

Thanks for the replys everyone! I think they look bigger already also. Noticing little changes in color as well.

I'm not overly concerned about the trace of ammonia but I want to be overly cautious. Ryan, my ph is 7.2.
    Last edited by calihawker; 06-03-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Yes, they do look a little bigger. Looking nice, fat & healthy
    Cheers
    Robyn

Steve,

Looking grea man! I too think that I see growth, but I won't actually pull fish for measurement until the 30 day mark. I figure a measuerment once a month would be sufficient. Great job man!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

yeah they really do look bigger Steve, they look GREAT! your doing an amazing job with them. something tells me they are gonna grow really fast. I have 2 albino spotted leopards, very similar, but those guys are EATING MACHINES! they have put on nice growth already, in just a few short weeks. you got a great routine goin on. your fish are putting on some good color aswell, theres 1 or 2 in that batch that really stand out to me. but my favorite thing about the AGxASL and the ASL is that "golden" color too them. its not a yellow really...its just like their base body color. a super vibrant "golden" ...gotta love it. makes you think how some of these bad boys are gonna look fully grown right? a big golden mother!
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Real Name
    Chris

They look great Steve! I agree with everyone else that they've grown. Keep up the good work.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast