AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: update 2, June 1

Registered Member

Default update 2, June 1

Well, time for another update on my challenge fish. Seems like I've had them longer than since May 21st but that's all it has been. The fish have been doing very well. They're still eating like pigs on a variety of beef heart, bloodworms, two types of ON flakes, and color bits. Been trying to get them to take brine shrimp but they don't really go for it. They'll eventually eat them but not with the gusto they go for the other foods. Beef heart is definitely their favorite. So far it has been the purchase variety by SF but I bought a heart and some shrimp so I'm going to try and make a batch of my own.

Tank parameter really haven't changed since the last update except the nitrates appear to have dropped with the frequent water changes. I have to wonder how accurate the tests are though at the low values that the challenge fish are being kept at. I got the issue resolved with the lights that I thought were too bright. I followed Als advise and used some foil that I cut holes in to allow varying degrees of light. Half the tank has few holes to create a darker area while the other half of the tank is brighter due to having more holes. Al suggested that the holes could be cut in the shape of leaves. Let's just say that I didn't go there. The idea worked out well in my opinion.

Had my first mishap last night while doing a water change. The fill hose going to my storage tank came out somehow and was dumping the water onto the basement floor. Luckily I caught it fairly quickly so I didn't have too much water to squeegee to the drain. Even more luckily my wife was in bed asleep when it happened. I really need to get the entire setup completed so that I don't all the temp hoses on the floor. So far I haven't heard too much complaining about it.

The one other thing I want to do is come up with some way of tracking their size without pulling them out for measurement. I know a lot of people do that but I'm just not that comfortable yet and maybe never will be. I thought about putting a disk of appropriate diameter on the tank for size reference. Not sure though so I've come up with another idea that I'm going to try out and see what the forum thinks.

Again, as I've said before (as have all the other challenge contestants) many, many thanks to Al, Kenny and Forrest. I really do appreciate this opportunity. Well, without further ado, here's the pics for the week.

Take care everyone,

Kirk
    Last edited by kirkp; 06-03-2009 at 07:01 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: update 2, June 1

Kirk, lucky your wife was sleeping at the time of the mishap. Your doing a tremendous job, keep it up. Love the pic/vid, bro they took out that BH like a bullet a gate!

Ahmed
    Is there an antibiotic for aquarists!

Sounds like things are going well for you Kirk, it's so much fun when they are healthy and active!

One thing I did when I had my challenge fish was to just tape one of those sewing type tape measures on the front of the tank near the bottom. That way sometimes you can catch one near it and at least get a fairly decent estimate of their size. If I wanted something a bit more accurate I would net one of them and just kind of guide them towards the front of the glass and get my measurement. Might be an idea to toss around.

Like you, I was never comfortable taking them out of the tank for measurements. I never knew how people got them to lie still, inevitably mine would flop and I'd risk a bad accident, so I preferred to keep mine in the tank at all times!

Good luck and keep up the good work!
    -Karen

Hey Kirk, they are doing great. I really like the video with the narration, great personal touch. Great job on all.

Bill

Thanks for the update Kirk! Looks like everything right on track.

Kirk,

Looking good brother! Great job!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Chris

They're looking great! Keep up the good work and good luck with the wc.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I think they are doing pretty good. I need to work more with my camera to figure out how to take a pic without the flash. I washes out their color too much.

I think the year is going to go my very fast.

Kirk

Real Name
    Ricardo

nice video Kirk, they are looking great

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

nice pic and video kirk.. i love them..

Real Name
    Larry

Kirk:

Nice pictures and love that video. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
    Thanks everyone. I think they are doing pretty good. I need to work more with my camera to figure out how to take a pic without the flash. I washes out their color too much.

I think the year is going to go my very fast.

Kirk
    I have to turn out all the lights in my fish room, except the tank, then it works pretty good without the flash. The camera automatically adjusts the aperature. Try that maybe or wait till it gets dark.

Registered Member

Thanks Steve,

I appreciate the advice. I just need to force myself to get out the book and sit down and play around with it. Probably one of the first things I need to do is get a tripod. I'm just typically shooting in auto mode.

Kirk`