ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week #2, Water change #2

Default Re: Week #2, Water change #2

Ahmed,

Thanks for the great compliments! I really appreciate that. Like I've said before, I am very curious to see how the different methods deliver in the end. We have to wait 50 more weeks though! LOL!

Best wishes!
    Last edited by Chad Hughes; 06-08-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beautiful, chunky & so healthy looking. They are obviously very happy.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Quote Originally Posted by TankWatcher View Post
    Beautiful, chunky & so healthy looking. They are obviously very happy.
    Thanks Robyn!

Yes, they seem to be as happy as can be! so far so good. I'll be posting another update Thursday night. Until then, take care!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    i'm glad you are having success with the 1 week WC schedule Chad. i knew that if anyone could do it, it'd be you! congrats again, and the discus are looking beautiful. do any of yours have that faint reverse stress bar look? i've kind of grown to like it
    Ricardo,

I took a close look at all the fish this evening and I can't say that any of them are showing any bars. I do know what you are talking about though. When the fish first got here, I did see some faint lines. They must show them only when stressed and leave no traces when not stressed.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

This is stunning. I always thought you needed daily waterchanges to have your fish growing to normal proportions. I am very curious to see how they will be doing at the end of the year.

Mary

Chad: Glad to see that you fishies are holding their own versus all the BB ones in the other group. I am also curious to see if this grow-out in a planted tank is possible. I have always grown out my juvies in BB with massive water changes, but you may offer a viable alternative. I personally dont care for the hassle of plants, but a planted tank is definitely more pleasing to the eye. So far, your fish look absolutely stunning, and very plump! There could be an upset and a shocker at the end yet! Good luck! ))))))))

Quote Originally Posted by Marywouters View Post
    This is stunning. I always thought you needed daily waterchanges to have your fish growing to normal proportions. I am very curious to see how they will be doing at the end of the year.

Mary
    Mary,

Thank you for the kind words. I have grown out fry with these methods but never took the time to document the full process. With the contest discus I am taking this opportunity to not only provide detailed week by week progress, but I also have others growing out the same fish. I've never had this type of opportunity before. Although I get excellent growth tthrough these methods, I too will be eager to see the final result at the end of the contest.

I'll be posting another update tomorrow, so stay tuned! LOL!

Best wishes!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    Chad: Glad to see that you fishies are holding their own versus all the BB ones in the other group. I am also curious to see if this grow-out in a planted tank is possible. I have always grown out my juvies in BB with massive water changes, but you may offer a viable alternative. I personally dont care for the hassle of plants, but a planted tank is definitely more pleasing to the eye. So far, your fish look absolutely stunning, and very plump! There could be an upset and a shocker at the end yet! Good luck! ))))))))
    Mike,

Thank you for the kind words!! As mentioned above, I'll be anxious to see the final result as well. As for plants, the biggest hassle is probably keeping them trimmed. I once had to go to Hong Kong for work and I left the tank without any real attention for three weeks. When I got back the whole tank was nothing but plants. The nice part about plants is that in situations like having to travel, you can count on them to keep your water parameters in check. Works like a charm!

I'm not looking for an upset or a shocker with the contest. I would like to see a photo finish though. I doubt that my methods will produce bigger fish than any other contestant. What I do hope for the judging will be difficult! LOL!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Week #2 Water change #2

Im less then 3 weeks out from the Pittsburgh and am weighing
    177. My carbs are still low. Im trying to get down to 174 so I can carb up mid week before the show. Any other thoughts on getting ride of water?

Default Re: Week #2 Water change #2

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarCrazyo View Post
    Im less then 3 weeks out from the Pittsburgh and am weighing
    177. My carbs are still low. Im trying to get down to 174 so I can carb up mid week before the show. Any other thoughts on getting ride of water?
    I'm not sure that I understand your question.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12