ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Contest Update 6/8

Default Contest Update 6/8

Hey all you discus lovers,
    Here is my weekly update on the contest fish. Everything has been going well with these guys. Eating real good and working out their picking order. They are still getting daily w/c's, 80% at 6 am and two clean ups at 5pm and 11pm of about 5 gal each. This week I raised the Ms/TDS up, 350 TDS, increased the aeration and lowered the temp to 86 deg. The ph was 7.1 this morning. The filtration is two sponges and a over to top trickle. I am still going to add the sand filter once it is completed with its cycling, probably in 3 weeks. The filters are handling the bio load with no problem. I have been keeping their feeding on schedule at 8 times daily, sometimes more especially on weekendsTheir eyes are not filling out as red as I would like, some are actually getting less red? I have been feeding them my home mixes 5x daily and a combination of pellets, frozen and flakes for the rest. I have been feeding them the same food as my yellows with no color enhancers in the mix, they do get some from the prepared foods though. I will be starting them on my regular mix in about a month. The growth is good and steady, but I see them all the time so I typically do not notice until suddenly they are adults LoL. I really like the shape and temperament of these guys, I think they are going to turn out real nice. I have a lot of Kenny/Forrest fish and they all are very friendly and great eaters. That says a lot about the conditions they came from. Lucky discus! I hope you like the updated pictures and video. Thanks for reading.
    Please let me know if there is something else you would like to see or know about.

Kenny

[IMG] [/IMG]

Real Name
    Chris

Default Re: Contest Update 6/8

They look like they've grown! Their eyes may not be as red as you would like but that yellow is real intense. I think that they are beautiful. Keep up the good work.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Nice going Kenny! They look awesome! Great job!

Growing well Kenny, you are doing a great job!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    They look like they've grown! Their eyes may not be as red as you would like but that yellow is real intense. I think that they are beautiful. Keep up the good work.

Chris
    x2

Kenny,

They look great! Bodies are nice and full. Great shapes too! Color is looking super!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey Kenny, the fish are looking great. I really like those pictures the discus show nice with the light blue background, looks good.

Bill

Registered Member

i agree with all the posters above me.. i can't say anything else.. they are wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post

Chris
    Thanks Chris, I really like how these guys are developing. They are going to be beautiful adults. I really did like the pin wheel look to there eyes though.

MRQuad
    i agree with all the posters above me.. i can't say anything else.. they are wonderful!
    That is exactly how I feel Marvin, LoL. We are very lucky to have this opportunity. Thank you!

wgtaylor
    Hey Kenny, the fish are looking great. I really like those pictures the discus show nice with the light blue background, looks good.
    I typically use a little darker blue on my tanks but once I saw these guys in the preview I scrapped it off and re painted, very happy I did. Thanks Bill

avionics30
    Kenny,
    They look great! Bodies are nice and full. Great shapes too! Color is looking super!
    Best wishes!
    Chad, the color is coming on strong. I am glad that it showed up in the pictures. They are real fun fish too, I love the way they eat. You would think they are starving. I would be 300 lbs if i eat like them.Thanks pal
    j_li8
    Re: Contest Update 6/8
    Quote:
    j_li8
    x2. Thanks J_li8. I second that too.
    Eddie
    Growing well Kenny, you are doing a great job!
    Eddie
    Thanks Eddie. They are eating your seafood mix like crazy Thanks again for your help with the picture posting.
    calihawker
    Nice going Kenny! They look awesome! Great job!
    Thank you Steve-O! I never had as much fun raising discus

The fish look awesome! They're definitely growing faster than mine so you must be doing something right. I love the bright yellow color they've taken on.

Registered Member

Kenny,

Roundness, Thickness, Colour are Tremendous. Keep up the good work! Love the vid too, always thriving for food!

Regards
    Ahmed
    Is there an antibiotic for aquarists!

Ryan Smith
    The fish look awesome! They're definitely growing faster than mine so you must be doing something right. I love the bright yellow color they've taken on.
    Thanks Ryan! I am pleased that there true color really came through in the photo's. These guys are very comfortable in there. I have to scoot them out of the way when I siphon the tank.
    Armandi_Fishcarer
    Kenny,
    Roundness, Thickness, Colour are Tremendous. Keep up the good work! Love the vid too, always thriving for food!
    Regards
    Ahmed
    Glad you like them Ahmed. My discus only get the best of everything available. I eat hamburgers they eat seafood +++ The videos are cool cause it gives you better gauge for size and activeness.

Thanks for reading my update
    Kenny

Certainly was a treat to watch your video, those fish are coming along nicely.

Their yellow colour is brilliant !
    Cheers
    Robyn