ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Week 3 update

Default Week 3 update

Sorry for the delay with my report for the last two weeks. Like the other contestants I have had a couple of busy weeks, and a camera malfunction All seems to be back in business now, so here we go....

Not to much to report with the contest fish. They are now eating my beefheart and shrimp mixes so that makes me happy All the bloodworms were getting expensive. They are starting to take the tetrabit pellets and still do not like the flakes, so that is what they get in the morning. They are stubborn though, and I am still having to clean up after them for that.
    They are getting fed 4 times a day with an autofeeder and three frozen food meals.

I have one that seems to be growing at a different rate than the others.....guess who the bully is All the others are growing at the same rate.

I have been doing a 50% water change in the evening during the last week, with a morning poop pick up. Like I stated before, I have been busy lately.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Week 3 update

Outstanding Evelyn, I was wondering where you were. They look great and thanks for the update! Keep up the great work!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Hi Evelyn,

Good to hear from you, was getting worried. Know how busy things can get at times.
    Your fish look great. I can see bully, he is bigger huh ! That's just the way it is most of the time. Just have to try to get enouth food to the rest of them.
    Anyway, they look good.

Bill

Evelyn,

Your fish are looking excellent! I too can tell who your bully is. He's got a bit of a growth lead on the others. No worries though. I've grown out juvies before where some grew faster than others but caught up in the end. As adults, you couldn't tell the difference. I've even had some slower growers exceed the adult size of the fast growers. You just never know.

Anyway, I had two bullies with the contest fish. To resolve this i started feeding in at least two areas of the tank. Now the bullies stay on their side and the passive ones feed on their side. I can see the growth starting to even out. I use the drift wood in the center of the tank as a visual divider and it seems to be wroking well.

Keep up the great work!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Chris

Hi Evelyn,

Thanks for the update. The discus are looking great! Your bully might get dethroned when the others have a growth spurt. One of my littlest juvies grew an inch one month and took over as boss. Keep up the good work.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Anyway, I had two bullies with the contest fish. To resolve this i started feeding in at least two areas of the tank. Now the bullies stay on their side and the passive ones feed on their side. I can see the growth starting to even out. I use the drift wood in the center of the tank as a visual divider and it seems to be wroking well.
    That's a good idea Chad. Wish I could do that.

Thanks for the update Evelyn. Fish are looking great.

Cheers!

Real Name
    Jim

Looking good Evelyn. Mine still do not like flakes either, but I put it in my seafood mix and they eat that.
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Registered Member

Evelyn, looking good, the bully always tend to stand out, show off's!

Great pics too!

Regards
    Ahmed
    Is there an antibiotic for aquarists!