ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Albino Breeding `Think Tank'

Default Re: Albino Breeding `Think Tank'

Hey Joan,
    Part of the reason is due to the fact that they ARE harder to breed, so make a great challange to breeders who have already bred other strains.
    Of course, being the "new thang" has alot to do with it. But mostly it opens the door to wide variety of new and beautiful strains.

Kacey

Real Name
    Francis

I just love those beautiful red rabbit eyes in the albinos.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Ok, so it's a new challenge, a way to produce more and varied strains but has nothing to do with actually improving Discus in general genetically. Yes, they are wonderful looking, no argument there. But, I think some of these new strains look kinda washed out in the Albino version, but maybe it's just different looking at pictures and actually seeing them in your tank. The reason why I'm so curious is I have to decide what to buy for my new venture back into the Discus world and was thinking about at least two Albino strains. Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by joanr; 09-28-2009 at 08:37 PM.
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Quote Originally Posted by joanr View Post
    Ok, so it's a new challenge, a way to produce more and varied strains but has nothing to do with actually improving Discus in general genetically. Yes, they are wonderful looking, no argument there. But, I think some of these new strains look kinda washed out in the Albino version, but maybe it's just different looking at pictures and actually seeing them in your tank. The reason why I'm so curious is I have to decide what to buy for my new venture back into the Discus world and was thinking about at least two Albino strains. Thanks for the info!
    Albino Red Diamonds for sure! LOL

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Lol, must be an echo in this thread, page 13 is the same as 14 and most of those posts are also on page 12, I'm confused or is it just me?
    I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.. - W. C. Fields
    Joan R

Real Name
    Larry

Ya go see the discus Kenny has coming in and take a look at the Albino Red Golden Diamond's he has coming in they are breathtaking, I have an Albino PB mostly orange to me that a big improvment to the strain dosen't matter what kind of background I have she can't pepper and love the rabbit eyes, Need to figure out how to post pictures on here, Larry.

Real Name
    Larry

Sorry to here that Eddie but the good thing is you have a pair and sounds like they are producing the slime that the fry need to feed off of and you know she is ready to go again. Also you know better what to do next time and they will also, Larry

Sorry Eddie. Sounds like the same thing I, and others, have experienced with albinos.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    LOL, funny that you mention that. The female wanted to lay again yesterday and I think she was just so frustrated since the water was low, she just gave up. Good thing though, cause they have their hands full.....or should I say, fins full! LOL

Take care,

Eddie
    When they are carrying so few fry, they tend to abandon the few that they have a want to start over. If they are attached, try and wait it out. If not, they you may want to consider artificial rearing or just allow the second spawn to happen. They will take care of the current fry.... in the form of sushi!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Breeding is sometimes a step by step learning process, and you covered quite a few steps on their first spawn. You're still way ahead of the game and now you know what to do next time.
    Next time you'll take 'em all the way through it.

Kacey

Real Name
    Larry

Hey Eddie I think Chad has the right idea if you want to try the ones you have left raise them yourself so you can get the pair back togather and let them try again, you may have to remove the female right away and let the male raise them, my female will do it every time they can have over a hundred fry but just go right back into spawning mode. You are doing the same thing I did starting off with the hardest fish to spawn LOL. Good luck hope you get a good spawn out of them, Larry.

Real Name
    Larry

Hey Eddie looks like the fry you have left are doing good, after a couple days of feeding you should be out of the woods, the 2 that I had survive that I finally culled seemed to have no problem finding the father after a couple days of feeding. I would get them on BBS as soon as they will take though and then remove them and raise them yourself, then you can get your pair back togather for another try, if it were me this time I would just remove the female right away and let the father raise them. Good job Eddie and hope it all works out good, Larry

I put 8 normally-colored turq fry in with my albino goldens the day they went free-swimming, 4 or 5 days ago. I did nothing further for them and three survived. I have seen them feed off the albino pair, but they are spending very little time with them. They turn to the pair when I am doing a wc but otherwise they are off and about on their own. I just discovered one I had missed that is firmly attached to the original parents and it seems to be the same size. It will be interesting to see if the three with the albinos remain the same size as that one. I doubt the turqs will eat the one - they've taken care of only one before. I'm hoping the albinos do what they've done in the past, though - eat the fry and then spawn. I'd like to see them off this breeding break.

Looked like Discman has success in getting fry to attach on albino parent. He has a picture of parent with fry for sale on Aquabid

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...cus&1258598401

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tdiscusman View Post
    Looked like Discman has success in getting fry to attach on albino parent. He has a picture of parent with fry for sale on Aquabid

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...cus&1258598401

Tony
    Thanks for posting that, Tony. The fish belong to Mike of Midwest Discus. I've invited him to contribute to the thread and tell us of his experiences but he hasn't said much of anything yet. There's really no way of knowing from the picture how the fry were raised.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast