AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Albino Breeding `Think Tank'

Registered Member

Default Re: Albino Breeding `Think Tank'

my recent successful experience with these are:
    1. have the 3 sides of the tank painted pale blue
    2. have a blue sponge filter (run air through it or not)
    3. have either night blue light on or no light if there are light from other nearby tanks (tried both)
    4. keep blue light on 24/7 if you use it.

it will probably take a few tries before the parents are experience; however, I observed that the discuss fries will stay around the blue sponge filter (i bought one here ), and the parents will hang around the blue sponge filter. The fries eventually start eating off the parents. They will still hang around the blue sponge filter. It took the pair that I got about 3 or 4 times before I got successful batch. So far, I have 2 successful batches back to back even the second batch is with different male and no light because the female is experience.
    IMG_20160823_121615194[1].jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Albino Breeding `Think Tank'

https://youtu.be/1jJG-JhLpuk

This is my failed attempt at dying the water blue with methylene blue. I am not meticulous enough and have had little success. I do love looking at these beautiful fish though.

Registered Member

Smile Re: Albino Breeding `Think Tank'

My second attempt at breeding albino discus strain. This pair does not much experience in spawning and raising fries. They have spawned less than 10 times since I have them in community tank most of the time until now.
    this picture was taken on Sept 9th, 2017.

IMG_20170909_132638638.jpg

At the end, there are not as many fries hatched; I counted about 15 to 20 left. However, they are probably big enough to start feeding on live baby brineshrimp. It's about 1 week now, and the fries are about 5 days old. The picture was taken Sept 17, 2017.

IMG_20170917_122651122.jpg

Here is my set-up:.
    1. 1 Deep Blue 40 sponge filter ( it can be blue or black ). It's important to have a dark color sponge filter as it is something to have the fries attach to instead of swimming all over the tank
    2. 29G tank with sides and bottom painted pale blue
    3. 1 30" LED light with 2 modes (day and night)

Important steps (to me):
    - pay attention to the sponge filter and move it close to the breeding cone and center of the tank as soon as the fries start attaching to it.
    - keep blue light on days and night as soon as eggs were laid.

Light is on timer and off at night until eggs were laid, then I keep the light on night mode (blue light) and on days and nights. The tank is in my basement; therefore, the surrounding is quite dark, and it helps a lot.

After fries started freely swimming, the fries attached to the sponge filter due to its dark color. I, then, moved the sponge filter to middle of the tank and closer to the breeding cone. Doing this with hope that the parents will hang around the sponge filter and the fries would find their parents while swimming around the sponge filter. It turned out that it did help, and the fries, even though hang around the filter, found their parents and started feeding on them. The parents swim around the filter more and more often. At the time of writing this post, the fries have attached to their parents.

This is the first successful batch for this pair, and I hope that there would be a lot more eggs hatched as the parents become more experience.

I wish best of luck for everyone who is trying to breed albino pairs. So far, this method has been working for me, and I hope that this will help others having successful batch also.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223