ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Albino Breeding `Think Tank'

Default Re: Albino Breeding `Think Tank'

I have three pair, but one pair doesn't know it yet, and the male of another pair isn't making runs over the eggs. Otherwise, he's a wonderful parent!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyDiscus View Post
    I havent tried it yet, but can PH be a factor?
    Ed,
    Very good point, lower the ph this will help.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    I have three pair, but one pair doesn't know it yet, and the male of another pair isn't making runs over the eggs. Otherwise, he's a wonderful parent!
    I had five pairs back in 2004 to 2005 and they produce mostly small batches and once in
    awhile batches of 75 fry.

Cliff

Will lowering the ph help specifically albinos, or fry in general? How does it help albinos? Lower it how far? Did any of the fry attach when you had the pairs? Details, please.

Registered Member

Margaret:

Albino update:

Spawn# 22: Male once again ate eggs shortly after laying. Luck and Patience. Male seems to be over "intestinal problem". I hope the Metronidizole didn't turn him into a permanent egg-eater, or worse, sterilize him. (Maybe it was the high heat)

Interesting observations:

Both parents seem to have vision problems, ie., they "miss" the food. It takes a few tries to hit blood worms or brine shrimp. About 50% of the fry have the same problem- the other 50% are fine.

Registered Member

Continued from above:

The parents have a peach base color with no visible stress bars.

The fry have a very light lemon base color at 8-10 weeks. About 60% are showing stress bars, but the bars actually show as lines devoid of the base color- thus they look white relative to the rest of the body. I think someone may have referred to this as "reverse" stress bars- kind of an interesting look- we'll see if the bars persist.

Registered Member

Sorry: Somehow typed Margaret instead of Martha.

Quite alright, and thanks for the update. I've been trying to figure out if my male albino turq might, in fact, be a female. Five months now and he/she still won't make passes. My golden albinos are still on a break. Wish they'd get back at it, but it is a well-earned break. Can you post some pics?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Has anyone tried or considered removing them from the parents and raising them artificially? With my pair of ALSS's the wrigglers start falling off the cone almost immediatly after the spawn. The parents don't pay any attention to the fallen ones so I think my only chance for success will be to raise them myself, if the fallen ones are even strong enough to survive.

Kacey
    Hi Kacey,
    Ok, here's an old pic of the artifically raise albinos. Much better results then parental raise,
    faster growth plus weekly batches when a pair is on its spawning cycle. Note the Albinos
    are with the black bottons.

Cliff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 06-19-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Hi Kacey,
    Ok, here's an old pic of the artifically raise albinos. Much better results then parental raise,
    faster growth plus weekly batches when a pair is on its spawning cycle. Note the Albinos
    are with the black bottons.

Cliff
    Hey Cliff,
    Of course you've raised albino's artificially, lol! Did you treat them as you would have any other fry or were there differences in the way they are raised?
    Also, did you ever raise any that a large % were falling off the cone? That's my biggest problem right now, but my pair in on hold untill I get a few things taken care of. I'm hoping too that the female will mature a bit more and start laying larger spawns.

Kacey

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Hey Cliff,
    Of course you've raised albino's artificially, lol! Did you treat them as you would have any other fry or were there differences in the way they are raised?
    Also, did you ever raise any that a large % were falling off the cone? That's my biggest problem right now, but my pair in on hold untill I get a few things taken care of. I'm hoping too that the female will mature a bit more and start laying larger spawns.

Kacey
    Hi Kacey,
    Albino artifically is only a slight difference, I place the black button to stop the fry from
    scattering all over the bowls.

As for you case on the falling eggs, let me know if this is happening to you, the eggs
    fall off the cone, they hatch out but only a small amount of the wrigglers form into
    a clusters of 8 to 20 attach wrigglers the rest of the wrigglers are just scatter all over
    the tank floor. If this is the case only the clusters of wrigglers will live and the the rest
    of the wrigglers will not which might be a larger percentage, a case of adhesive gland
    development within the female.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    Will lowering the ph help specifically albinos, or fry in general? How does it help albinos? Lower it how far? Did any of the fry attach when you had the pairs? Details, please.
    Martha,
    I usually have the ph at around 6.4 to 6.5 in general so the parents will have a nice coat of slime
    on their body. I only let two pairs take care of the fry this was because both times I was
    away on a trip. Sorry, for the bad picture.

Cliff

Picture looks sweet to me Cliff! Thanks for that. I'll get some muratic acid and drop my ph.

Registered Member

Martha:

You asked for some pictures. First attempt at using a digital camera.

Female has more white markings (pics 2 & 3), male has less markings (pics 4 & 5).

Eggs on cone are Spawn # 23; four days after # 22.

I think the male participated in this spawn.
    Last edited by noogiec; 06-22-2009 at 12:12 AM.

A lovely pair! Beautiful shape, great markings. Let's hope for the best with this batch.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast