AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week #4, Water change #4, 4" Discus

Registered Member

Default Re: Week #4, Water change #4, 4" Discus

Chad, looking great, size/colour/thickness/overall. Yes, those autofeeders can clog-up. I heard their is an autofeeder out now that has a air pump hose connection to it thats surposed to keep the food dry, although haven't heard much about it, good/bad! Keep up the good work!

Regards
    Ahmed
    Is there an antibiotic for aquarists!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    Chris,

Quite honestly I don't know. I've never checked TDS as frequently in any other tank than this one. I was just closely monitoring this one for the contest. I do know that the TDS typically rises. I suspect that the ozone regimine is taking it's toll on the TDS. That's actually what it's supposed to do. LOL!

Thanks Marvin!

I appreciate it!

Best wishes!
    Chad,

Time to make a point then. Turn down the O3 reactor and see what happens next week! I'll be conducting my own experiment with TDS when my meter arrives. How often do you calibrate your meter?

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    That's really good growth Chad! Amazing job you're doing there!

Cheers!
    Thanks Steve! I saw your post as well. Looking awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    Wow, that guy look thick. Really nice going Chad. Although i am not to surprised coming from you Dam auto-feeders, mine did the same thing this week

Kenny
    Thanks Kenny! Yes, I am very pleased with things so far. These guys are really happy and healthy! I have two of these auto feeders and have never had a problem. I think I may have filled it to full. No room for the food to tumble about in the tumbler. It's working now!

Quote Originally Posted by Armandi_Fishcarer View Post
    Chad, looking great, size/colour/thickness/overall. Yes, those autofeeders can clog-up. I heard their is an autofeeder out now that has a air pump hose connection to it thats surposed to keep the food dry, although haven't heard much about it, good/bad! Keep up the good work!

Regards
    Ahmed
    Ahmed,

The feeder that I use is an Eheim that has a small fan in it to prevent clogging. It's worked great for years but I think I filled it too full this time. I took a bit of the food out and it's been working well ever since. Lesson learned!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    Chad,

Time to make a point then. Turn down the O3 reactor and see what happens next week! I'll be conducting my own experiment with TDS when my meter arrives. How often do you calibrate your meter?

Shawn
    Shawn,

I've already shaved one hour off the O3 since the water change. We'll see what changes if anything. I can't say that I actually "calibrate" my tds meter. I do check it against RO water from time to time. RO usually reads zero, so I assume that it's calibrated.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhu View Post
    Chad,

Shawn
    Shawn,

I checked TDS this morning and it's up two points. I think I'll go back to the setting that I was at and was getting lower TDS readings. The O3 is doing it's job!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Chad,

So it's probably safe to say that the O3 reactor is the cause for a lower TDS at a weeks time. Safe to assume then that the young fish is not absorbing as fast as they are polluting?

Good growth the 1st month. Seems you have everything happening as it should
    Cheers
    Robyn

The fish looks good, but I don't think it's anywhere near 4" TL. How did you measure? From the looks of it the start of the tape is at least 1/8" out from the mouth and the tail appears to be shy of the 3.5" mark. I'd say that fish is barely 3.5" TL and going from 3.5" to 4" is at least several weeks. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Great job Chad, And them feeders sure can get contrary at times.
    "Don't count your Discus before they hatch" ............Joe

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Chad,

Great job on your contest fish! I love the roundness and thickness of the one you measured. Great result keep up the excellent work!

Kenny
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

Quote Originally Posted by bs6749 View Post
    The fish looks good, but I don't think it's anywhere near 4" TL. How did you measure? From the looks of it the start of the tape is at least 1/8" out from the mouth and the tail appears to be shy of the 3.5" mark. I'd say that fish is barely 3.5" TL and going from 3.5" to 4" is at least several weeks. Anyway, keep up the good work.
    Camera angle and the background didn't do much justice I guess. When I measured it I got a full 4" TL. I'll try and come up with a better way of demonstrating the length next measurement. I know Steve had an excfellent method on his first measurement. I'm looking to adopt something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny's Discus View Post
    Chad,

Great job on your contest fish! I love the roundness and thickness of the one you measured. Great result keep up the excellent work!

Kenny
    Thanks Kenny! You really provided us with great working stock! Words cannot express my appreciation. Thanks again!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12