OK a few weeks ago I moved a newly formed pair into their own 30g tank. It has two sponge filters & gets regular w/c’s of upto 75% per day. So no probs with the water parameters. Temp is kept fairly constant at 82 I’ve had two spawns so far, approx 7 days apart, neither successful, both times the eggs were unfertilised. The pair are now gearing up for a third spawn. Both spawns have I guess been pretty small with only approx. 20-30 or so eggs.

So here come the Q’s... Since I moved the pair to their own tank, they have totally gone off beefheart, fbs & tetra bits. The only thing they will take is fbw. They have only taken fbw for the last 3 weeks & I know fbw alone isn’t enough to meet all their nutritional requirements so should I a) just keep feeding them the fbw and see how many more spawns I get from them or b) put them back into the 60g where they were from with the 4 other Discus (who are still happily munching on b/h)?

As they are spawning I dont think it’d be a good idea to starve them into taking b/h as their reserves are gonna be pretty low as it is. And I don’t really wanna start raising the temp etc if I can help it. What will happen if I keep feeding them just the f/b/w? Will they continue spawning sustained purely on that? Will their subsiquent spawns become weaker & weaker? Or will it start to have adverse effects on their health soon? This is my first spawning pair so I obviously am keen to try to keep ‘em going for a bit more.
What do you think ppl?
Cheers
keith