ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Measurment

Default Re: First Measurment

Man I have had problems with keeping my TDS that low. I never lost a Discus to it,but my tank crashed and would not complete its cycle after I went from TDS of 250ppm to 35ppm in a weeks time I hope,but not sure. I achieved this by doing water changes with R/O water and not adding any hardness back in. It showed Ammonia in it for all most 6 weeks with me not figuring out what was going on until I raised my TDS and whala it completed or started back up what ever you want to call it. I am not sure it crashed or just stopped the cycle,but something happened. Discus acted just fine and eat like made devils the whole time. The only thing I noticed that gave me an idea to check was they would hide in a corner ever so often. I check the water and found the ammonia was high so I started my research for the problem. Ph was low also at about 6.5 or so and I was adding Prime.

Just thought I would add something to the mix

Thanks for the great pictures and it looks like Fish are growing well

Kyle

Good information being put out here by everyone, really good info for the hobbyists.

Take care guys,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Thanks Bill,

Im keeping my eyes glued on the results.

I'm starting to wonder if there is more to water chemistry than what we test for. I have seen discus die in water with TDS near the levels that these guys are keeping fish. I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm glad to hear that things are OK with you guys though!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by kpotter2 View Post
    Man I have had problems with keeping my TDS that low. I never lost a Discus to it,but my tank crashed and would not complete its cycle after I went from TDS of 250ppm to 35ppm in a weeks time I hope,but not sure. I achieved this by doing water changes with R/O water and not adding any hardness back in. It showed Ammonia in it for all most 6 weeks with me not figuring out what was going on until I raised my TDS and whala it completed or started back up what ever you want to call it. I am not sure it crashed or just stopped the cycle,but something happened. Discus acted just fine and eat like made devils the whole time. The only thing I noticed that gave me an idea to check was they would hide in a corner ever so often. I check the water and found the ammonia was high so I started my research for the problem. Ph was low also at about 6.5 or so and I was adding Prime.

Kyle
    Your cycle stalled or stoppeddue to low Ph. Low TDS is typically associated with a low TDS. This is why I think there is more going on with these guy's water than just low TDS. There is something else there.

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if there is more to water chemistry than what we test for. I have seen discus die in water with TDS near the levels that these guys are keeping fish. I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm glad to hear that things are OK with you guys though!

Best wishes!
    I have always read that it boiled down to minerals absorption, whether it from the water or through diet. So if you are getting it from both....best of both worlds.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Hey Chad, hope this isn't getting things off track with your post. Don't want this discussion to distract from your success with your discus.

Quote Originally Posted by kpotter2 View Post

Kyle
    Hi Kyle,
    I wouldn't doubt adding pure ro water would have a effect on your bio filter. With my low conductance water I find it takes more bio media to maintain a colony of bacteria to keep ammonia and nitrates at 0. You can see pretty quick by the way they act, skittish or hanging back when your water is a little off. With the young discus and large water changes that is not as much a problem though. My gh and kh is less than 1 with the liquid drop test and have never experienced a ph crash. My water must have just enough buffers to keep it stable but will allow me to let the ph drift down to 4.5 - 5 in a little over a week. Just enough to set off breeding activity with some fish. My discus seem to love the soft water, must make them feel as if they are back in the wild again.

Bill

Bill,

No distractions here. I'm always in learning mode. I know how to keep discus with very few water changes. That's my MO. What I don't quite understand is how to keep discus in nearly pure RO without ill results. That is something that I have to wrap my mind around. LOL!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well when you do please let me know! I am having trouble with the juvies I got from Rod failing to thrive. I will start another thread, please chime in anyone I need help!.
    Cheers Kath

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    Hey Chad, hope this isn't getting things off track with your post. Don't want this discussion to distract from your success with your discus.

Hi Kyle,
    I wouldn't doubt adding pure ro water would have a effect on your bio filter. With my low conductance water I find it takes more bio media to maintain a colony of bacteria to keep ammonia and nitrates at 0. You can see pretty quick by the way they act, skittish or hanging back when your water is a little off. With the young discus and large water changes that is not as much a problem though. My gh and kh is less than 1 with the liquid drop test and have never experienced a ph crash. My water must have just enough buffers to keep it stable but will allow me to let the ph drift down to 4.5 - 5 in a little over a week. Just enough to set off breeding activity with some fish. My discus seem to love the soft water, must make them feel as if they are back in the wild again.

Bill
    Bill, your water is exactly like mine!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post

Best wishes!

Agree with Eddie, great info here. I'm wondering if these problems with low tds are associated with the use of RO water. My water is coming down from the mountains, lake water, snow melt. There are minerals in my water where RO is stripped.
    Also could these problems be from a ph crash with no buffering. I'm changing water twice a day. Does that keep my ph from crashing? If I go a day or 2 without w/c will my ph crash?

I have a copy of our water report here somewhere. I'll try to get that posted here. Maybe like Chad said it's more than just gh/kh?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Bill, your water is exactly like mine!

Eddie

And Eddie, you also grow out nice big fish with big water changes daily. There must be something to it.

Registered Member

Steve, looking good bro. Nice size & shape!

Regards
    Ahmed
    Is there an antibiotic for aquarists!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12