Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dining with Discus

Default Re: Dining with Discus

Nice setup Dan, thanks for sharing.

hendri

Real Name
    Ricardo

hey Don, quick question. when you use the hoses to siphon the tank bottom how do you start the siphon? do the hoses stay primed somehow? i only ask because i find myself sucking on my hoses to get them started, and let me tell you...that gets old really quick!, lol. love the setup btw, truly well done

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    hey Don, quick question. when you use the hoses to siphon the tank bottom how do you start the siphon? do the hoses stay primed somehow? i only ask because i find myself sucking on my hoses to get them started, and let me tell you...that gets old really quick!, lol. love the setup btw, truly well done
    Ohhh, I used to do that, suck on the hoses. Don't do that!

It's extremely easy to start the syphon. Put a small ball valve on the end of the hose (like the ones they sell for hoses at the hardware store). Now, keeping the valve open, insert the syphon and most of the hose into the tank (try not to spook your fish too much), close the valve (the valve is usually just a couple inches from the surface of the water).

With the valve closed, lower the syphon hose to the drain, connect it (I use a quick connect) and IMMEDIATELY open the little valve. Since the water in the hose is below the top level of the water in the aquarium, water rushes down the hose.

hth. -Don

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12