ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Angelfish and discus together? Advice/recommendation!

Registered Member

Default Angelfish and discus together? Advice/recommendation!

Hello everyone,

What do you recommend me?

I have 11 angelfish in a 55g tank and two small discus in my other 55g tank. I would like to split my angelfish between my two 55g tanks!

These are my two discus. I think my jack wattley marlboro red is stunted (I believe his red coloration is too intense for his size).

Attachment 45233

Attachment 45234

Attachment 45235

I have two 55g tank (plus a 20g). I want to move some of my angelfish to the other 55g (where the discus are) but I don't know if it is save to do so (because of what it is said about keeping the two together). All my fish have gone through metro, dewormer and prazi treatment. I prefer not to move my two discus to the 20g tank but, I really would like to split my angelfish between my two 55g tanks (I can't buy another tank).

What do you recommend me? I need some advice?

Jorge
    Last edited by Jorge; 07-06-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Default Re: Angelfish and discus together? Advice/recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    Hello everyone,

What do you recommend me?

I have 11 angelfish in a 55g tank and two small discus in my other 55g tank. I would like to split my angelfish between my two 55g tanks!

These are my two discus. I think my jack wattley marlboro red is stunted (I believe his red coloration is too intense for his size).

Attachment 45233

Attachment 45234

Attachment 45235

I have two 55g tank (plus a 20g). I want to move some of my angelfish to the other 55g (where the discus are) but I don't know if it is save to do so (because of what it is said about keeping the two together). All my fish have gone through metro, dewormer and prazi treatment. I prefer not to move my two discus to the 20g tank but, I really would like to split my angelfish between my two 55g tanks (I can't buy another tank).

What do you recommend me? I need some advice?

Jorge
    How large are the angel fish?

You have 2 lone discus in a 55?

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Hello Eddie!

Yes, only two discus. My angelfish are from half-dollar to silver dollar size!

I read that your wife have angelfish. Have you have kept angelfish and discus together?

Hello Eddie!

Yes, only two discus. My angelfish are from half-dollar to silver dollar size!

I read that your wife have angelfish. Have you have kept angelfish and discus together?
    Yes, angelfish and discus can easily be kept together, not by my experience but by many others. The only issue I see is that angels eat far more aggressively than discus. Your discus may even be set back in growth due to the lack of food. Also, creating a school of angels in a tank with 2 discus may stress them out alot. I'm a discus only guy so my suggestion would be to get more discus for the 55, thats my best advice.

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

They seem to do fine together from experience. Like stated above, they are aggressive eaters and push the discus out of the way sometimes for food. What I do is try to distract them by putting flakes in and while they are devouring that I put the other food in for the discus. The distraction does not last long however.

I'm with Eddie-get more discus for the 55. The two that you have will do better in the long run for it. Quarantine any new discus, of course. But yes, discus and angels can be kept together.

Registered Member

IMO; Some discus are picky/slow eaters. Most Angels are agressive eaters. If your discus are not agressive eaters they will not get enough food. Don T.

Angels and Discus may be kept together but I would not raise them together.
    Raise them to adult size separately. Keep more Discus than angelfish in combination.
    I don't think you should attempt combining them in small tanks like your 55 gal. I would recommend using 125 gal tanks and up.

I am keeping wild Blue Discus with wild Peruvian Scalare successfully. I think the wild specimens work out better together than domestic Angelfish.
    My Discus and wild Angels do not interact much except for when the angelfish spawn. Then my wild Blue Discus move in and eat the eggs of the Angelfish. They are large Angels but they seem unwilling to confront the Discus while they do not hesitate to drive off any intruding Angelfish.

I have only kept large Domestic Discus with smaller specimens of wild Peruvian Scalare so the Discus dominated the Angelfish other than the arrangement I described above..
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

Thanks you! I feel much more confident that it can be done, specially by hearing from your experiences keeping both together.

Registered Member

There are realy no major problems except the eating part. ( some feel that angels carry diseases that do no effect them but do effect discus)
    As previously suggested raising seperate eliminates most of that problem. If your discus are aggressive eaters and compete well with the angles for food I think it will work fine. All of this IMO; Don T.

Registered Member

I putted them together and they are doing just fine. They get along very well. The two Discus are the "bosses" in the 55 tank. They are mixed with 5 angelfish.

Thanks!
    George

I putted them together and they are doing just fine. They get along very well. The two Discus are the "bosses" in the 55 tank. They are mixed with 5 angelfish.

Thanks!
    Glad it worked out for you.

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

I see that you added them together and they are doing fine. I was going to suggest that you add the Angels to the Discus tank and things should be fine. Discus if have been keep in the tank for a while would have been established well enough to handle adding the angels,but doing the other way around it would have been a more stressful.

For an fun I put 2 lone Nickel sized discus in with about 100 dime sized baby angels and let me tell you they where the first to the food and pushed the others around. I had to do this,because of tank space at the time.

I am glad everything worked out for you and pictures ASAP.

Thanks

Kyle

What little I have seen of Angelfish in my wife's planted tank is that they are " Very Agressive " . I don't think that is a good mix with discus .
    I love Angel fish , specially wild types.

Roberto.

The combination of Discus and Angelfish can be a delicate balance affected by many factors but the more factors give the Discus the greater advantages the better this will work.

I consider Discus and Angelfish to be equal opportunity disease carriers and this can be controlled by subjecting all the proposed fish going together by treating them with all the same antiparasite drugs at the same time but in separate quarantine tanks.
    It is best if the Angelfish are smaller than the Discus and are outnumbered by the Discus.
    Larry Waybright