ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: DIY float valve

Registered Member

Default DIY float valve

I was looking into buying a float valve, and I came across this DIY project:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hydr...s_Float_Valve/

Looks hecka interesting. Not sure that I would trust this to prevent flooding my family room LOL

But may be useful to some luckier members here who have separate fish rooms in a shed away from the main house.

Tim

Default Re: DIY float valve

A toilet tank fill valve would work much better if appearance isn't an issue. It's and interesting DIY but not practical

Registered Member

For me, mounting a toilet valve appears to be more trouble. There is the issue of physically mounting what would normally be a vertical pipe, and secondly, stitching together all of the adapters needed to go from a garden hose to the pipe threads on the toilet valve. If memory serves correctly, the pipe threads on a toilet valve are special.

In this DIY, the spray nozzle naturally attaches to a hose. But I think this DIY looks rather odd if not downright ugly. :-) But for $1 and some elbow grease, this isn't bad.

At the end of the day, I'm buying a plastic float valve on eBay, so this is moot.

This was just an FYI just in case any one is interested.

Registered Member

Interesting DIY project. Looks as though someone thought it out a bit, & it works for them.

Regards
    Ahmed
    Is there an antibiotic for aquarists!

Registered Member jeff@zina.com's Avatar

Float valves aren't that expensive to begin with, a toilet tank valve would be about the same price.

Jeff