ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Week 5

Real Name
    Jim

Default Week 5

Hi all, sorry about the delay in my update but I wanted to wait until I moved them into the 125 where they will remain for the challenge. They have been eating well and really have not had any issues with them. I did have a problem with the a water change earlier this week. I have a storage bin that is 40 gallons and is heated and aerated. Normally I have no problem with the temp being at 86 deg. I also check before adding to the tank. This time I didn't and I drained the 45 down and added the aged water and started working on another tank when I realized the temp of the water was 78 deg. Panic set in as I had to add warm tap water after taking some back out and adding prime. I was able to bring the water back up to temp and everything turned out ok. The only good part was the fish recovered fine. Needless to say I will now always double check before adding again. This week I will be ordering my beef heart and making a beef heart and seafood mix which I will use from now on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Default Re: Week 5

Quote Originally Posted by fishyj View Post
    Hi all, sorry about the delay in my update but I wanted to wait until I moved them into the 125 where they will remain for the challenge. They have been eating well and really have not had any issues with them. I did have a problem with the a water change earlier this week. I have a storage bin that is 40 gallons and is heated and aerated. Normally I have no problem with the temp being at 86 deg. I also check before adding to the tank. This time I didn't and I drained the 45 down and added the aged water and started working on another tank when I realized the temp of the water was 78 deg. Panic set in as I had to add warm tap water after taking some back out and adding prime. I was able to bring the water back up to temp and everything turned out ok. The only good part was the fish recovered fine. Needless to say I will now always double check before adding again. This week I will be ordering my beef heart and making a beef heart and seafood mix which I will use from now on.
    Hey Jim, glad they are doing well, they look GREAT! Keep up the good work.

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Hey Jim, they look great. They will be happy with some good fresh beefheart mix, not much better to put that size on them.
    Waiting to see how they like the big tank, shouldn't have to move them again now.
    Great job.

Bill

Registered Member

Jim, great work bro. moving them now rather then later, loaded with food & consistant w/c's would/should produce some big gunners. Your doing a brilliant job, keep it up!

Regards
    Ahmed
    Is there an antibiotic for aquarists!

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Kenny's Discus's Avatar

Jim,

Nice work and don't beat yourself re the cold temp WC...we all make unintentional mistakes sometimes. They will/have already recovered from it shortly. They will also love your BH/seafood mix I'm sure. Keep up the good work Jim I can't wait to see them in another month!

Kenny
    Tel: (650) 290-1283
    Email: kennysdiscus@gmail.com
    To receive future monthly shipment notifications click here: http://eepurl.com/bBqhK5

Registered Member

nice fish! good job!

Jim,

Looking great my friend! Keep up the good fight!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim,
    They will love the added space of the 125. Good looking discus. You are right on track with the tank change, BH/seafood mix and water change. Great job with them.

Kenny