ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suturing a Fish

Default Re: Bummed yet hopeful

Sorry to hear your set back Al. I hope you saved some fry from the first batch. If anyone can turn that fish around, you can. Good luck Bro !!

Registered Member

Sorry to hear that Al. That's one good looking fish. I've come close to dropping a few lids into the tank while removing them just to ensure that i don't knock them into the tank. The stitch job looks good. I wouldnt have even thought of that. Do the stitches seem to bother the fish at all?
    Joe

Registered Member

That is a bummer Al. Maybe keep some Tricane on hand for any future outpatient procedures and you could do it all at one time and minimize stress to you and the fish (works great for culls too...). Looks good though. What are you planning to do to attempt to prevent infection?? Something that brutal looking might require something a bit more than just maintaining a clean tank.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

I can't count all the times I've bumped a glass lid into a tank or had to grab at one clumsily, one handed, as it fell. And it's almost always in a breeding tank for some reason. Looks like you have the sitch well in hand though, and good luck with your patient.
    I'll be watching this one with interest.

Kacey

Registered Member

That's a definite bummer Al. Not just loosing the fry but damaging such a beautiful fish. I'm sure you were sick over it. Suturing the fish a dumb idea? I don't see why. From your pics she looks like she came through it well and I would think that it will heal just as well as if it wasn't sutured. On top of that it'll look better when it's all healed.

Good luck.

Kirk

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Al, I know how it fells...I lost my Red Cover pair last year and I was devastated. Looks like she will make it...

So far shes doing very well....I have to say that I have never sutured anything so fast in my life!...She really doesn't look the worse for the wear at this time.

Steve, I did not know you were a vet, and I'll gladly take that advice! Thanks..I'll be sure to watch the threads.. ..and leave them in as long as I can.

Ryan, I'm not sure yet about the antibiotics...I'm on the fence...I hate to use them unless I need to....that said...I may decide to go with one if I see even the slightest issue...If I do...it will be maracyn 2 I use......I am also debating whether to net the fish daily and swap the area with iodine.. Thanks for the tricaine advice....

David, I didn't save any from the first batch for myself...but I do have a tank of 40 fry that are close to a month old from this pair....and I have another San on eggs paired to an unrelated fish....so hopefully I have plenty to work with if she does not survive or goes off the spawn.

I'll make plenty of updates and post some pics again soon.

Thanks all!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Al, I know you will save this beautiful female and get her to produce more young.. You are very dilligent.. And she IS most beautiful..

You did an excellent job, Brew. You might consider putting some meth blue in the tank and hooking up a UV filter if you have one around. The lesion will be a target for bacterial infection.
    Mama Bear

Al, very sorry to hear about the accident. You definitely did an amazing job fixing her up, it looks super clean. I'm hoping she heals well and back to normal in no time.

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

best of luck Al. the fish looks good Im sure she will be fine.

Registered Member

Might be a good idea to use acriflavine or similar in the water to help keep bacteria numbers down a bit....safer than an antibiotic at this point since its a preventative measure. A little salt couldnt hurt either.

-Ryan
    -Ryan Karcher
    Aquatic Eco Systems Technician

I have been away and had not seen this thread until now, as if you don't have enough on your plate!. Hoping all goes well for you and nope I would try anything to help mine so I don't think you went too far!
    Cheers Kath

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Al,
    soory to hear about this,How is she doing ?

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Real Name
    Chris

Al,

My first thought was a quick stitch or two also. I wonder if you can use super glue on fish? How long does it need to dry? Is it waterproof? San Merahs are a favorite of mine too and she is a beautiful representative of the strain. She's in good hands with you. Best of luck.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast