ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suturing a Fish

Registered Member patrick richard's Avatar

Default Re: Bummed yet hopeful

Al,

I'm sorry to hear about four female San Merah. I'm sure with your great care, she will pull through this. She's in good hands.

Keep us posted..

Patrick

Sorry to hear, Al. What a drag. My hinges split so some of my tops are in two parts. I scraped up a female pretty badly recently but it was minor in comparison. Why did you have to cull the fry? Couldn't you have put her in another tank to recouperate and let the male raise them?

I quit using glass tops a long time ago because I too was too rough on them. Now I use a piece of blue styrofoam toward the back of the tank and a home made light of the John Nicholson design in front. Might be worth y'all considering.
    Mama Bear

Quite a story Al. Sorry you & the fish had to go through this, but so glad you had the stomach to do what needed to be done. She is a beautiful fish.

On another forum, a guy gave a blow by blow account of the operation he performed on his angel (top lip was dislocated). He used clove oil (5 drops per 4ltrs) in tank water as an anaesthetic & said it took about 3 mins in the clove oil water for the anaesthetic to kick in enough. The fish tipped over onto it's side and it's gill movement slowed. As well as pain relief, he thought it also helped stop the fish from thrashing around during the procedure.

Apparently all was successful & his fish is fine now. With your excellent care, I'm sure you'll have the same result.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Hi.. Sorry you and your beautiful fish had to go thru all this but it's amazing that you thought to suture the wound and were able to perform the surgery.. How is she progressing... She's in great hands so I'm sure it will work out ok. Take care Sue.

Updates??? So how is the patient???

~AKA~

Hey Al,
    Would love to see some update pics. How are the fishes stiches holding up?

Kacey

Registered Member

Wow, my lids are evil sometimes too

I was going to suggest dermabond (like crazy glue) but it looks like you've got it covered. I've seen wilds with whole anal/dorsal fin pieces snapped off at the base (ewwwww..) that recovered with clean water. Yours doesn't look too bad!

Best of luck,
    Jess

Any update Al?

Hi all,
    Just a quick update here. I'll post pics in a few days. The patient is doing well and healing but the stitches did not hold. Looking back at the accident I think I have an idea why.. The lid that fell in was a very heavy piece of plate glass and I think that the area in question wasn't just cut...it was crushed badly and the tissue was just too mashed.. That whole area has pretty much receded and is healing over...doesn't look too bad just looks like shes growing a second tail of fin!

As for the state of health of the Female.. The male broke through the wire barrier yesterday and has been at her side since then. Today they surprised me with a batch of eggs which they are are tending currently.

thanks all,
    -al

Ps..Martha... I had to sacrifice the fry because I literally have no tanks availible right now to move the female to....and these fry had literally just gone free swimming and not even attached yet.....it wasn't worth the trying to save them or foster them. ..The pair was what was important to me.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi all,
    Just a quick update here. I'll post pics in a few days. The patient is doing well and healing but the stitches did not hold. Looking back at the accident I think I have an idea why.. The lid that fell in was a very heavy piece of plate glass and I think that the area in question wasn't just cut...it was crushed badly and the tissue was just too mashed.. That whole area has pretty much receded and is healing over...doesn't look too bad just looks like shes growing a second tail of fin!

As for the state of health of the Female.. The male broke through the wire barrier yesterday and has been at her side since then. Today they surprised me with a batch of eggs which they are are tending currently.

thanks all,
    -al

Ps..Martha... I had to sacrifice the fry because I literally have no tanks availible right now to move the female to....and these fry had literally just gone free swimming and not even attached yet.....it wasn't worth the trying to save them or foster them. ..The pair was what was important to me.
    Hey Al,

So sorry about the injury. But new eggs! That's just great - she's already pulling thru!

I'm sure all of us here on Simply would love to see pictures and hear updates.

Best of luck,

Yasmin

Quote Originally Posted by Yassmeena View Post
    Hey Al,

So sorry about the injury. But new eggs! That's just great - she's already pulling thru!

I'm sure all of us here on Simply would love to see pictures and hear updates.

Best of luck,

Yasmin
    Ditto what Yas said Al, really glad to hear the female is doing her thing. Sorry to hear about the second fin/tail.

All the best with them,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Real Name
    Chris

Glad to hear that she is doing ok. Laying eggs is a great sign. The second fin/tail may be a bummer but its much better than losing her. Keep us posted and good luck with her continued recovery.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Fantastic news Al so pleased she is so happy she is laying! Great news
    Cheers Kath

Al,

Crazy story! I am so glad to hear that through all the tail crushing and surgery that the pair has come through and still produces! Outstanding! Watch those lids! It's happened to me to but no to the extent of damage that you experienced.

I think the worst thing I've ever done was to get a 6" adult stuck to the end of a siphon hose. That was freaky! He had a round "bruise" on his side for about two weeks. Today you cannot tell his guts were nearly sucked through his skin. LOL! Gotta watch those siphon hoses too!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast