ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 7

Default Week 7

It has been seven weeks now and time flies through each week. Never a problem with these discus so just having fun.
    They are all eating like they haven't had food in days and spend the rest of the day trying to convince me they are starving.
    Discus should cost a lot more money than they do by the amount of food these guys consume.
    I'm about half way through the beefheart mix I made just a couple weeks ago.

Their water changes have been constant seventy to seventy five percent per day and just siphon the bottom before lights off at night.
    All sides, bottom of tank, air lines and any surfaces in the tank are wiped down every other day.
    The water parameters have stayed the same, 65 microseimens, 30 parts per million, ph 6.5 with 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia.
    The nitrates stay less than 5 ppm because of the large water changes. Temperature stays at 84.5 to 85 degrees.

Not much new since last week except maybe another quarter inch of growth. These guys are very consistent day in and day out.

Week 7 tank shot, they are starting to fill more of the fifty five gallon tank.

They usually spend their time swimming back and forth the length of the tank except.....

sometimes they cram into the corner of the tank and slap each other around for a while.

Here are a couple up close and personal shots of some of them.

Bill

Real Name
    Chris

Default Re: Week 7

Great pictures! Looks like you're getting quite a bit of red in these guys. I can't wait to see what they look like as adults. There seems to be quite a bit of variety in patterns.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

very nice Bill. tank, fish and pictures are perfect. Love the spots coming out.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    very nice Bill. tank, fish and pictures are perfect. Love the spots coming out.

Kenny
    Thanks Kenny,
    I got a selection of manual settings set on my camera and take pics without flash. All done pretty quick now, getting in a routine. My problem is grueling slow internet connection so
    probably not see too many video's coming from me.
    Appreciate the compliments,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    Great pictures! Looks like you're getting quite a bit of red in these guys. I can't wait to see what they look like as adults. There seems to be quite a bit of variety in patterns.

Chris
    Hi Chris,
    Every one of my albino's are different. Was quite a surprise to me and I am anxious too, to see if they color up more and how they turn out when mature.
    I guess we will look back at the end of the contest and wonder where the time went but right now it seems like a long time before we see these as adults.
    Thanks for the compliments on pics,
    Take care,

Bill

Super nice Bill! Amazing job!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Hey Bill,

They are looking REALLY good. I'm impressed and I also think I'm getting my butt kicked.

Kirk

Bill,

Looking good man! It's really amazing how the different groups are developing different patterns and colors. Very interesting! Keep up the great work!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    Bill,

Looking good man! It's really amazing how the different groups are developing different patterns and colors. Very interesting! Keep up the great work!

Best wishes!
    Hi Chad, ya, I'm surprised at the huge variety of of color in these albino's. Mine seem to be getting more intense color as they mature.
    Looks like we all are going to end up with some pretty nice discus.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
    Hey Bill,

They are looking REALLY good. I'm impressed and I also think I'm getting my butt kicked.

Kirk
    I don't think so Kirk, your discus are looking awesome. It's still a long way to the finish line and looks like you are doing everything right by your fish.
    But thank you for the compliment.
    Take care,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Super nice Bill! Amazing job!

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie, it's always good to get a compliment from someone that has as nice of discus as you.
    I like your new sig, 700 percent water change, laughed out load when I saw that.
    Take care,

Bill

Here is a Week 7 Update,
    As I mentioned earlier, the tank was starting to get a little crowded as the discus have grown so I decided to take the decoration resin root center piece
    out of the tank. It gives them more room to gather around and eat. I had it for decoration and possibly to separate any aggression but they all get along
    well enough. Makes cleaning just a little easier too.

Bill

I have to say Bill, I think you have the best looking group! They are all so colorful. Great job my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by calihawker View Post
    I have to say Bill, I think you have the best looking group! They are all so colorful. Great job my friend!
    Hi Steve, that is an extremely kind compliment, I think I am starting to like long hair and rock music. May have to give up listening to Willie's Place on satellite radio. ha ha
    Seriously though Steve I'm sure your fish and mine are so close there is not much difference. It's probably in the tank lighting and camera settings.
    Thanks a bunch Steve,

Bill

Bill,

Out of curiosity what kind of camera do you use? I've been using one of those pocket "point and click" types for both my pictures and the video. I was happy with the quality until I saw your pictures. Absolutely stunning!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    Bill,

Out of curiosity what kind of camera do you use? I've been using one of those pocket "point and click" types for both my pictures and the video. I was happy with the quality until I saw your pictures. Absolutely stunning!

Best wishes!
    Hi Chad, thanks.

Ya, I use a Canon Digital Rebel XT. It is an older model but you can pick them up for under four hundred dollars new. There are others on the market much better that put this camera to shame and it doesn't do video so I have an extremely old Sony digital eight, TVR520 for the video.

Take care,

Bill

Very nice! Thanks Bill!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Anytime.

Registered Member

wow bill! you've been doing a great job on these fish.. the pictures are superb!

keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast