ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bringing Fish on the airplane

Default Re: Bringing Fish on the airplane

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    Uhhhhh please, don't give me the title Dr. it's dangerous to use a title on the forums while you don't have one lol lol lol

It's NOT Dr. Sir or what ever, just Hans

Hans
    Ha ha, people do get way too serious, huh. I just had a thought though, put the bag of fish in a bag with your loaded gun,.....they may not notice the fish !

Actually, airports have very strict rules now, best to have the discus flown overnight and safe all legit.

Bill

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    Ha ha, people do get way too serious, huh. I just had a thought though, put the bag of fish in a bag with your loaded gun,.....they may not notice the fish !

Actually, airports have very strict rules now, best to have the discus flown overnight and safe all legit.

Bill

Small Discus in weed bags will go trough probably fine lol lol

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Yer right, would be safer and everyone would be happy !

Bill

DOCTOR HANS .... Than kind of sounds OK ..

Hans does have a point. But it was interesting to see what other might have experienced. I did not hear from anybody else. So I think picking the fish and then have them shipped is the ticket....

Registered Member

As an FYI, I wanted to bring some fish back from Hawaii to CA. I e-mailed TSA, and this is the response I received is below. Bear in mind, the airlines themselves don't check what you have in your carry-on, only TSA does during the screening.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) policy for carrying live fish onboard a commercial airline.

Travelers passing through security checkpoints may carry liquids, gels, and aerosols if these are in containers 3.4 ounces or smaller. All of these must be placed in one, quart-size, clear plastic, resealable bag and must fit comfortably in the bag (3-1-1 rule).

There is an exception to the 3-1-1 rule for live fish. If the fish is alive and swimming in the liquid, then the liquid is not an explosive. In addition, the container holding live fish may be larger than 3.4 ounces. The fish must be swimming in water that is contained in a clear, plastic container that is spill proof. This will allow the Transportation Security Officer to visually inspect the fish at the screening checkpoint.

However, regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft. Therefore, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items like live fish into the secured area of the airport.

Also, TSA recommends travelers contact their airlines to inquire about any additional guidelines the airlines may have regarding traveling with live fish. For the most current information on TSA security screening procedures, visit our website at www.tsa.gov.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

Real Name
    Discus Hans

So in lesser words............it's up to the TSA officer, bad day, no fish, good day, no problem.

You know it's just like coming into the USA, I've a funny experience with that.
    When I was here on my tourist visa, I had to go out every 90 days. For me that was, Friday fly to Holland, Monday back in USA. First 2 times no problem at all, 3rd time they gave me a fit, that it doesn't work that way, think it was the 4th time they tried to send me back. You can imagine the 5th time I was scared as hell, get a young guy, started out that I thought okay, today I fly back to Holland, now what? Than he asked me what I'm doing, told him Discus fish, love and behold, he has a Discus tank, he said are you Discus Hans??????
    Yes, 1 minute later, I'm in the USA.

For fish you want to bring in, if you get a TSA person with a fish tank, it will be no problem at all, not fish people will not understand.

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

There is an exception to the 3-1-1 rule for live fish. If the fish is alive and swimming in the liquid, then the liquid is not an explosive. In addition, the container holding live fish may be larger than 3.4 ounces. The fish must be swimming in water that is contained in a clear, plastic container that is spill proof. This will allow the Transportation Security Officer to visually inspect the fish at the screening checkpoint.
    Bummer. If you get any DOA's they may mistake that as sign of a liquid thats explosive!

-al

ps... seriously.. Thanks Alex for the info!
    pss... LOL Hans..
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hans:

I know what you are talking about. I do international travel for business and you just never know what you are going to see or hear any day.......

Registered Member traversediscus's Avatar

Talking Re: Bringing Fish on the airplane

So in lesser words............it's up to the TSA officer, bad day, no fish, good day, no problem.

When I was here on my tourist visa, I had to go out every 90 days. For me that was, Friday fly to Holland, Monday back in USA. First 2 times no problem at all, 3rd time they gave me a fit, that it doesn't work that way, think it was the 4th time they tried to send me back. You can imagine the 5th time I was scared as hell, get a young guy, started out that I thought okay, today I fly back to Holland, now what? Than he asked me what I'm doing, told him Discus fish, love and behold, he has a Discus tank, he said are you Discus Hans??????

For fish you want to bring in, if you get a TSA person with a fish tank, it will be no problem at all, not fish people will not understand.

Hans
    Funny that Hans. When i came here Home Security talked and treated my like Dog Dung and when i was happy and light hearted he just looked at me like i just pissed on his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Bummer. If you get any DOA's they may mistake that as sign of a liquid thats explosive!
    LMAO That's too funny. I can imagine the guy with the fish trying to explain what happened.
    Derek

~I got "HOOKED" by the fish~

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

you know how the sponsors send delta dash and things like that? couldnt you set it up the same way, just be ON that actual flight? no? I have no idea! LOL

its a very good question tho, most of my family lives in south florida, about 15-20 min from Dan E. Im probably going out there soon. it would be super cool to go visit and bring fish back, but I was wondering about the saaaaaame thing lol.
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

you know how the sponsors send delta dash and things like that? couldnt you set it up the same way, just be ON that actual flight? no? I have no idea! LOL
    I believe most sponsor here send it via cargo if it's airport to airport. In order to use the cargo service, you have to be a known shipper. There is an application process. I am not too familiar with it but I am sure a sponsor here with experience in that process can speak more about it.

You may still be able to check baggage your fish (if the flight allows it) but at the end of the day.. you will be spending about just as much. Like Hans responded in an earlier post, just have it ship and not worry about it.

Real Name
    Walter

Hans
    Hans, I knew a guy who was a US citizen who lived in Japan for well over a year on the tourist visa, by doing exactly what you were doing - every 90 days, he'd take a trip out to a neighboring country/ territory - S. Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, etc... for a weekend, then go back in the Japan.

Last year, when I went to Hong Kong, my passport ended up with 3 stamps for Hong Kong (entering and leaving) because I took side trips to Macau and Shenzhen while I was in Hong Kong. Technically, you are "leaving".

Walter
    Walter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12