ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Altum Flora?

Registered Member

Default Altum Flora?

What is the difference between an Altum Flora and a Brilliant Blue or Blue Turquoise?

Is an Altum Flora a high-body discus?
    George

Registered Member

Default Re: Altum Flora?

Yes, an Altum Flora is a type of high-bodied Discus. Usually a striated strain...Bill

Registered Member

Thanks Bill!

That will simplify my discus selection since I don't like high body discus. I like discus with their normal shape: no high-body, no high-fins, etc.
    George

Registered Member

Here is a picture of a Altum Flora. I never liked them until my spouse fell in love with them.. So I purchased a few to keep the peace and to buy what I wanted. After 2 months, I really like them now..

Jerry

Super nice AF Jerry!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

I like them classicly round too...but I do like these Altums as well. A slightly higher body to me is fine, but there is such a thing as too high. In the right proportions they are nice looking fish...Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    I like them classicly round too...but I do like these Altums as well. A slightly higher body to me is fine, but there is such a thing as too high. In the right proportions they are nice looking fish...Bill
    Yeah Bill, I am more into high body fish myself. Yours are unreal! Bet its something else to watch them in tank!

Thanks for sharing the picture and take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    Thanks Bill!

That will simplify my discus selection since I don't like high body discus. I like discus with their normal shape: no high-body, no high-fins, etc.
    I'll agree that some of the breeders' efforts are a little extreme. I'm no fan of "bulldog" discus, for example, or of extreme "standing egg" shaped fish, either.

OTOH, I do like discus with a nice round shape, and it's something good breeders have used as a primary criteria in their breeding programs. Poorly bred domesticated discus can end up with a "football" body shape, something that's also not very attractive to me.

There's a point of balance, a range of shape and fin length that maintains the natural beauty of the fish. I personally find the altum flora to be attractive, but really near the limit of what I'd consider to be desirable in terms of shape. They don't have exaggerated high fins, at all. Part of that is because they're also old-school in terms of color pattern, with the wavy turquoise markings.

Wayne Ng fish also tend to be quite round while maintaining a balanced appearance.

I recently obtained a group of altum flora crosses from Kenny. The other side of their ancestry is red snakeskin from Forrest's line of fish. In person, their body shape is really nice, not exaggerated, just nice and round, and their fins aren't strange at all. I really like 'em. I'm a fan of wild fish, of their "look", their color patterns, and if there were such a thing as wild red snakeskins, these would be it...

If you're like me, or most of us, for that matter, the vast majority of discus we've ever seen have been in pictures. The appearance of live fish really is quite different. With that in mind, I try not to judge what others might find attractive too harshly, and to remember that a huge amount of work over several decades has created the domestic strains of today, whether they appeal to me personally or not...

Registered Member

It's funny how if we make the Discus a bit higher, it still looks good and is acceptable...lengthen it to any degree and it's not desirable anymore. This pic is of a Altum Flora taken to an extreme. WAY too high! Reminds me of a "batfish" Far past what I would call desirable, but you would be surprised at the number of people that see it and like it!...Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ricardo

here's a shot of my youngster

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I love high bodies, but again i agree with everyone it can be to much. I don't like the bulldogs.
    -Matt

Registered Member

Ricardo, that one looks like he's going to REALLY be high!...Bill

Real Name
    Ricardo

Ricardo, that one looks like he's going to REALLY be high!...Bill
    i hope it's not too high. i really like that Altum but that is one of my concerns. i agree with the general consensus here about some being TOO high. regardless, so far it looks fine but i can tell he/she might be a tall one.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

It's funny how if we make the Discus a bit higher, it still looks good and is acceptable...lengthen it to any degree and it's not desirable anymore. This pic is of a Altum Flora taken to an extreme. WAY too high! Reminds me of a "batfish" Far past what I would call desirable, but you would be surprised at the number of people that see it and like it!...Bill
    That's a bulldog, not a "normal" discus with a high body shape. Nice pics here, from the originator of the altum flora line-

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59599

I don't think Ricardo's juvie is in any danger of becoming a bulldog- just a nice round fish...

Registered Member

My Altum Floras are from Jeffrey Y....thru Central Ohio Discus. Only that one grew in the wrong direction!...Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast