AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: tds calibration

Real Name
    Chris

Default tds calibration

Ok so I'm kinda sorta thinking about getting a tds meter. The Hanna meters are on sale at Dr. Foster and Smith and I'm putting in an order anyway. Apparantly you need calibration solutions with these but they have so many different kinds how is a person to know what to get? HELP! Also, if the meter does multiple tasks such as PH does it just read everything at once? I am severely tech. challanged and need something simple enough for a rock to use. Any help would be appriciated.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Default Re: tds calibration

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    Ok so I'm kinda sorta thinking about getting a tds meter. The Hanna meters are on sale at Dr. Foster and Smith and I'm putting in an order anyway. Apparantly you need calibration solutions with these but they have so many different kinds how is a person to know what to get? HELP! Also, if the meter does multiple tasks such as PH does it just read everything at once? I am severely tech. challanged and need something simple enough for a rock to use. Any help would be appriciated.

Chris
    Hi Jim,

Depends on the tds meter it may require kci solution if not then 442 should work for you.
    Depends on the meter if it reads tds and ph simultaneous.
    Here is descriptions of the three main tds calibration solutions.

Bill

KCl.
    Potassium Chloride is the international standard to calibrate instruments that measure conductivity.

442TM.
    Developed by the Myron L Company, 442TM simulates the properties of natural water (rivers, lakes, wells, drinking water, etc.)
    with a combination of 40% Sodium Bicarbonate, 40% Sodium Sulfate and 20% Chloride.

NaCl.
    Sodium Chloride is used in water where the predominate ions are NaCl, or whose properties are similar to NaCl, such as seawater and brackish water.

Real Name
    Chris

Huh...? The calibration solutions that they carry have numbers.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Huh...? The calibration solutions that they carry have numbers.

Chris
    Hi Jim,

Ya, don't seem to get much info on Dr F&S website about their tds meters or calibration solutions. It may be they repackage their solutions ?
    Checked with the filter guys and apparently at least some Hanna meters only measure in one standard and comes pre-calibrated requireing no re-calibration or solution. http://www.thefilterguys.biz/tds_meters.htm
    I use the HM COM-100 and once calibrated it dosn't seem to drift at all.
    Guess you will have to ask when you order.

Bill

Call 'em. I find them interested in being helpful.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    Call 'em. I find them interested in being helpful.
    Yeah, I've tried that with some of the products that they carry and while very nice they have read the description in the catalog and have had nothing else to add. It's worth a try though.

Chris

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    Hi Jim,

Ya, don't seem to get much info on Dr F&S website about their tds meters or calibration solutions. It may be they repackage their solutions ?
    Checked with the filter guys and apparently at least some Hanna meters only measure in one standard and comes pre-calibrated requireing no re-calibration or solution. http://www.thefilterguys.biz/tds_meters.htm
    I use the HM COM-100 and once calibrated it dosn't seem to drift at all.
    Guess you will have to ask when you order.

Bill
    Thanks for the info. I think that this is going to take quite a bit more research.

BTW who's Jim?

Chris

Thanks for the info. I think that this is going to take quite a bit more research.

BTW who's Jim?

Chris
    I'm sorry Chris, but I'm consistant, used the name twice, I don't have the foggiest idea why !

Hey, let us know what you get and if it has a fixed calabration which does not require any calibration. That would make life a little easier.
    Thanks CHRIS

Bill

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    I'm sorry Chris, but I'm consistant, used the name twice, I don't have the foggiest idea why !

Hey, let us know what you get and if it has a fixed calabration which does not require any calibration. That would make life a little easier.
    Thanks CHRIS

Bill

No problem with the name...I've been called worse. LOL

I called Dr. F & S and they nice but not much help. According to them you have to calibrate with 2 PH solutions each time that you use it. They don't know about TDS calibration. Their catalog says that it has automatic calibration. Maybe this idea just needs to go on the back burner for now.

Chris