ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Altum Flora?

Default Re: Altum Flora?

Hey Bill, I think your altums are amazing. The Bull Dog type is very different in the small body, pointy snout, flat face and very large eye. To me, the BullD looks like a baby bird, not nice at all. The bulldog fish disgust me but I do however like very high body discus which is something totally different. The high body fish actually grows to be a large full bodied discus, not stunted as most bull dog look to me. Just my opinion

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    My Altum Floras are from Jeffrey Y....thru Central Ohio Discus. Only that one grew in the wrong direction!...Bill
    I think Jeffrey sells bulldogs in other markets, as do a lot of other breeders...

Maybe somebody got put in the wrong tank when they were small- dunno. Was that fish always different, or did this develop over time?

Registered Member

I have ever read that only male have a high fin,are all altum flora male?

Registered Member

Hey Jhhnn...anything is possible Might have been a mix up. One that slipped thru. It did always look a bit different from the rest, but not by much. It just seems that as it grew, it grew more vertical than long. Either way, I have a buyer for the 4 since they have not shown any pairing behaviour, tho are plenty old enough , and also the fact that I am out of room and need the space...Bill

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by William Palumbo View Post
    Hey Jhhnn...anything is possible Might have been a mix up. One that slipped thru. It did always look a bit different from the rest, but not by much. It just seems that as it grew, it grew more vertical than long. Either way, I have a buyer for the 4 since they have not shown any pairing behaviour, tho are plenty old enough , and also the fact that I am out of room and need the space...Bill
    You're kinda scarin' me, Bill... I'm having a mild paranoia attack wrt to my altum crosses turning into bulldogs...

I don't need any goofy dreams about the possibility, that's for sure...

Whoever buys yours can cross them back w/ other brilliants, end up w/ some nice fish, given that they're just a sub-variety... or with lots of other varieties... or not, just keep 'em because they like 'em...

Registered Member Cooldadddyfunk286's Avatar

I would love to grow out some nice AF's ...I really, really like this strain. bill, if you got anymore pics of yours, please throw them up here for us. anyone else too. cant get enough of the high body and striations
    -Jason-
    -------------------------

Registered Member

OK Cooldaddy...A few more shots
    Attached Images Attached Images

That really nice AF you have Love them all.

hendri
    Henry
    Back to Discus grin:

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cooldadddyfunk286 View Post
    I would love to grow out some nice AF's ...I really, really like this strain. bill, if you got anymore pics of yours, please throw them up here for us. anyone else too. cant get enough of the high body and striations
    Thought you never ask.. Here is a few more shots...

Jerry

Real Name
    Matt

Wow such nice fish!
    -Matt

Bill, couple of those fish gotta be bigger than 8" TL. You ever pull them out? You'd probably have to use a bass net.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Great looking AF's you guys have there! I too agree that AF is not a bulldog type fish, at least I haven't found those traits of bulldogs on AF like bent spine, concaved throat or small size, and this type of finage is not what we can find on bulldogs as well. Whatever it is, if a fish looks like any AF posted in this thread I would love it.

My little humble AF. A bit falling behind other fish in my tank due to some intestinal problem two months ago, but still one of my favourite.

-Xiaofei
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by vss View Post
    Great looking AF's you guys have there! I too agree that AF is not a bulldog type fish, at least I haven't found those traits of bulldogs on AF like bent spine, concaved throat or small size, and this type of finage is not what we can find on bulldogs as well. Whatever it is, if a fish looks like any AF posted in this thread I would love it.

My little humble AF. A bit falling behind other fish in my tank due to some intestinal problem two months ago, but still one of my favourite.

-Xiaofei
    that's really high body, sort of what mine looks like. do you happen to know how old it is?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Thanks Rick. I got him on Jan from Kenny at the size of 3.5''. Don't know how old he was at that time My guess would be between 13 to 14 months old now.

It could have grown much larger if he didn't have that intestinal problem (stopped eating for 2 weeks), and if I hadn't left the U.S. for vacation (no water change and no food for a whole month...)

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by vss View Post
    Thanks Rick. I got him on Jan from Kenny at the size of 3.5''. Don't know how old he was at that time My guess would be between 13 to 14 months old now.

It could have grown much larger if he didn't have that intestinal problem (stopped eating for 2 weeks), and if I hadn't left the U.S. for vacation (no water change and no food for a whole month...)
    have you measured this fish by any chance? my altum flora is from the same shipment but is not as large as yours. although that also might have to do with medications and the excess of. i dosed, metro (3 times), levamisole, kanamycin, praziquantel. most of all those times they came off food. i'm surprised my batch is not all dead. let me get a pic of my AF right now and i'll show you.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast