AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

View Poll Results: Would you attend this discus show?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would attend

54 54.55%
  • I would probably attend

15 15.15%
  • It's less than 50 percent I would go

7 7.07%
  • No, I won't attend

23 23.23%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NADA Discus Show Dallas, Texas

Question NADA Discus Show Dallas, Texas

Discus NADA www.discusnada.org is gathering information about doing a discus show in Dallas, Texas June 11th - 13th, 2010. This thread and poll is to gauge people's interest in attending. This is the weekend before fathers day weekend.

The reason Dallas, Texas. John Nicholson can get free use of the Texas Cichlid Associations tanks and equipment. Four Simply members are also NADA and TCA members.

The hotel we're looking at is an Embassy Suites near the Dallas airport and it has shuttle service. Rooms would be $95.00 per night and it includes a cooked to order breakfast each day. We would need to book at least 60 room nights to get the show area for $200.00 per day. We probably also need to get insurance. There breakdown is 10 rooms Thursday, 25 rooms Friday and 25 rooms Saturday. Please take in to consideration on wether you would be flying in or driving in and calculate these expenses into your decision on attending.

As far as speakers go we're looking at John Nicholson, Discus Han's, Cary Strong and Al Sabetta. Others being considered are Tony Silva, Heiko, Dick Au or Andrew Soh. It would probably be only one or two from this second group.

Possible schedule 2 speakers Friday night, 3 or 4 speakers Saturday plus one at the dinner Saturday night. It could be a banquet or it could be a Texas barbque. Sunday would be an auction and maybe even one speaker first. As far as the discus show goes we would like to have 6 classes. Will there be cash prizes? We would like to have them, but it will depend on where we are with our finances.

As far as raising money. NADA will have to do discus raffles almost every month between now and the show. Our next raffle will be announced shortly after the ACA convention. I'm also thinking outside the fish community. I would like to do a car raffle. NADA is a 501(c)(3) non profit corporation. I will need to apply for a permit with the state of Oregon. I have all the paperwork and I will be taking it to the ACA to show others what we need to do. If we pull off the car raffle there will be big cash prizes for the discus show.

I need you opinions on doing this, I feel North America is overdue for a real discus show. So please let us know what you think? If you want to send me an email directly you can send it to discusnada@gmail.com Everything posted above is subject to change.
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: NADA Discus Show Dallas, Texas

Sounds great to me. An all star roster for the speakers too.

Questions that might run through minds. Do you have to be a NADA member to attend? To place fish in the show? To attend the speakers? Etc. I'm not a member myself, yet and i'd plan to become a member before attending anyway, but i was just asking in general because i know others might be thinking the same thing.

I'd attend if this went through. Dallas isn't to far, nice and pretty centrally located.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Chris

Sounds like a wonderful idea. The only reason that I voted no is because I'm not comfortable traveling due to a loss of vision.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Becoming a NADA member would be in the registration package. A NADA membership is only $10.00 I can't say what a registration would cost, but in 1995 at the last Discus Study Group show I attended, I think it was either $85.00 or $100.00 I would like to try and keep it under that. Our registration would include the show and speakers, the NADA membership and the Saturday dinner. A T-shirt might be additional. You did raise a good point about entering fish in the show. I don't know if we could do with discus what they do with bettas at a show. They except mail ins. You don't go to the show, but you mail in your entries. I think they usually auction them off instead of getting them back. You would have to be a NADA member to do this, but you wouldn't have to pay the full registration since your not attending. On the other hand if you are attending and want to enter fish you must pay the full registration.

Chris I' sorry to hear about your vision. I really don't know what else to say about it.
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post
    Chris I' sorry to hear about your vision.
    Thank you. Perhaps you should switch my vote to maybe. I will see if I can convince my brother to come with me. Maybe you could sell CDs of the speaker's lectures as a way to raise funds.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Registered Member

Jerry,
    I would seriously make an attempt to attend, I fully endorse NADA taking this step at a national discus show...

Tad

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Jerry, I will be there with fish...

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post
    Becoming a NADA member would be in the registration package. A NADA membership is only $10.00 I can't say what a registration would cost, but in 1995 at the last Discus Study Group show I attended, I think it was either $85.00 or $100.00 I would like to try and keep it under that. Our registration would include the show and speakers, the NADA membership and the Saturday dinner. A T-shirt might be additional. You did raise a good point about entering fish in the show. I don't know if we could do with discus what they do with bettas at a show. They except mail ins. You don't go to the show, but you mail in your entries. I think they usually auction them off instead of getting them back. You would have to be a NADA member to do this, but you wouldn't have to pay the full registration since your not attending. On the other hand if you are attending and want to enter fish you must pay the full registration.

Chris I' sorry to hear about your vision. I really don't know what else to say about it.
    Thanks for clarifying. I love shirts! Even if they require additional fees, shows you where you've been! Its like a tattoo thats less permanent.
    -Matt

I would also try to attend, all the way from Japan. That would be an awesome place to meet many of the greats in the discus community.

Good luck with everything Jerry!

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

So we are planning on putting on the best discus show that this country has ever seen and only 12 people are going to show up? Come on folks there has to be more then 12 hard core discus people on this site....

-john

Real Name
    Steve

John, I'm not exactly hard core, but I would like to attend. I would love to meet you, Hans, Tony Silva, Al, Eddie, etal. I'm sure it would also be a great learning experience.

I will attend . Great part of the Country for discus . I really believe is going to work .
    Everyone , show te support this show deserves !

Roberto

Exactly John! If I am gonna fly all the way from Okinawa Japan, you people had better meet me there!!!!!

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I am commiting NOW. Like Dan I remember the old shows and I will tell anyone who did not have the pleasure of attending one that you will not regret going. I will bring fish (as I did in 95 Tampa) and donate to NADA all procedes to help defer costs. I REALLY hope to meet most of you there,,, EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE. Andrew Soh and Dick Au amoung others mentioned would be most favorable. Did I mention IM in? Sween, Maybe the mad Canadian can drive your way and pick you up? We could sit back at the meetings and munch on bowls of discus bits and on occasion throw some at Joe Gargas
    "There was no spoon"

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I love shirts! Even if they require additional fees, shows you where you've been! Its like a tattoo thats less permanent.
    You, sir, take an amazing photograph!
    Best fishes,
    Mary Sweeney
    http://www.amazonasmagazine.com
    mary.sweeney@reef2rainforest.com

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast