AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of these pumps?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: What do you think of these pumps?

i'd get all those 55's if i were you. you can't beat that price! i have one of those inline pumps from that link sitting in my garage that i have no idea how they work. it came with my 125 when i bought it (it was a SW tank). if your water storage is indeed going to be up above the tanks then can't you just link all the 55's and just get water from the one on the end? since it's higher up you can drill the last 55 and put a hose with one of those valve switches to cut of the gravity siphon. when you need the water all you would have to do is open the valve and take the hose to the appropriate tank and fill. it sounds easy in my head but i hope your following along. my process right now is similar to what you have planned on doing. i drain my dirty tank water into roll away bins and then just dump it on the lawn. in your case you'd use the sub pump to drain into the utility tub. my question is, why don't you just use the python directly to the utility tub? sorry if you already answered that but it seems easy to me. i use to drag a 50ft hose from my tank directly to my backyard before and it worked like a charm. i did have to start the siphon with my mouth though but since it was like 50ft away the water never touched my lips. great score on those 55's though and on the 135!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

As usual, excellent thinking Van! I just may do that. I could get away with that 317gph pump and a plastic 55g drum or two in case one gets too ful. I guess I will need those after all.
    I used the quiet one 1200 this way last summer and it was pumping faster than 1 tank could drain (it all depends on how high you go). I agree with rickztahone on picking up those 55. If you have the room, you'll find use for them later down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    i'd get all those 55's if i were you. you can't beat that price!

my question is, why don't you just use the python directly to the utility tub?
    I probably will pick up 2-3 of those 55g drums just because I will probably find a use for them some day.

My utility tub would be higher than the tanks on the lower level of my fishrack, so in order to keep the siphon going against gravity I would have to run the water from the faucet. Cold water would be the best since hot water would just be money down the drain. As Van mentioned though, I could drain from the tanks into a tote and then from there pump it to the utility tub. That's what I'll end up doing for now. This is turning out to be a much simpler project than I had initially planned all thanks you guys/gals.

If you have any more brilliant ideas I'd like to hear them!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by bs6749 View Post
    I probably will pick up 2-3 of those 55g drums just because I will probably find a use for them some day.

My utility tub would be higher than the tanks on the lower level of my fishrack, so in order to keep the siphon going against gravity I would have to run the water from the faucet. Cold water would be the best since hot water would just be money down the drain. As Van mentioned though, I could drain from the tanks into a tote and then from there pump it to the utility tub. That's what I'll end up doing for now. This is turning out to be a much simpler project than I had initially planned all thanks you guys/gals.

If you have any more brilliant ideas I'd like to hear them!
    ahh, now i see. no sense in fighting gravity when you can just use a pump. do as i do and you can pretty much set it and forget it. also, when you are refilling your tanks you shouls buy a float valve so you do not overfill. you will have to get your rhythm down before you get the hang of draining and filling multiple tanks. i found it difficult to multi-task when i only had two tanks. you have much more room for error seeing as you are in the basement with a concrete floor. good luck and make sure you post pics when done

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

....You know what Connie, I never even thought of using a pyton just by itself! I plan to have a utility tub very near the rack setup so this may definitely be a great idea for me . The rack is only 8' long so I could easily get away with a 25' python. How quickly can it fill the water in the tank? I know it depends on the output of the faucet, but is there a certain maximum that the hose can withstand? If I decide to go the python route, which is most likely what will happen, both you and Van will have saved me a great deal of money. You guys probably saved me $200 or more combined with your ideas. Once I get settled in I will have to repay you both for your great insight and helping me plan.
    Bryan, I don't know about a maximum for the hose, but the Python I'm using is now 17 years old and it is very sturdy but pliable. (I've only had to replace the faucet adapter once). You can also use 5/8 hose from the LFS and buy Python fittings, i.e. the valve, the faucet adapter, etc. to save more. I bought 5/8 hose to make my Python longer and just attached the original Python to the LFS hose. The Python hose is much nicer though. I've filled the tank with water from the tap blasting with no problem and I've used it with my Danner Mag 5 too. I bought the Mag 5 from marine depot and bought a fitting to attach the Python directly to the pump.
    Last edited by poconogal; 07-24-2009 at 06:22 PM.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Good to know Connie. It sounds pretty sturdy if you have had it for 17 years! Definitely a sound investment if you ask me. I thought about making my own python and maybe I will someday for a larger diameter hose, but I think I will just purchase the 25' for now and maybe some extra hose if needed as you suggested. I'll just have to plump the faucet for a nice water flow so that I get the maximum rate possible out of the python.

You are saying that you hooked the python up to the pump for return water to the tank? That's how I read it and it makes sense.

Yeah Ricardo, the cement floors will save my butt more than once I'm sure LOL.

Yes, Bryan, when I used to age my water I hooked it directly to the pump in the water barrel (used the little fitting I bought) and pumped right into the tank. Quick and easy.

Python - its very sturdy and was a good investment. I even have the Python velcro carrier with handle and that looks brand new even though that is 17 years old too.

This might be useful to you too for turning pumps off without running back and forth. I just bought them to turn my new pump off remotely since I plan on aging water again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Pack-Wireless-...3A1%7C294%3A50

It works GREAT! I turned my toaster oven on and off from the other end of the house, thru my bedroom closet, thru my foyer, thru my coat closet, then thru my pantry and across the kitchen!
    Last edited by poconogal; 07-24-2009 at 09:12 PM.
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    It works GREAT! I turned my toaster oven on and off from the other end of the house, thru my bedroom closet, thru my foyer, thru my coat closet, then thru my pantry and across the kitchen!
    But did it put the bread into the toaster for you? Just kidding. Nice to know that they do work. It looks like a pretty cool idea. I was also thinking about putting a valve on the end of the python so it could be right there for me to open and close when I need to adjust the water flow.

Bryan, it did put the bread into the toaster!

The Python comes with the valve to open or shut water flow and it can be used to regulate it too.
    Connie

I thought that it did have a valve like you say. That should be more than sufficient for what I want to do.

I'm getting really excited about all of this. I'm thinking about how I want to set up the tanks, what I want in them, etc. I have plans for angel pairs, ram pairs, discus pairs, a BN breeding tank, a couple of livebearer tanks, etc. This should be a lot of fun.

How soon will you be up and running do you think? The planning is exciting!
    Connie

Well, first there is some cleaning to do in the basement. Move stuff to the other end of the basement, tear up some old carpeting, etc. I may paint the walls (white most likely). I need to put in a utility tub and run the plumbing for that, which requires me to drill through about 15" of concrete. I have to figure something out for lighting over tanks, at lest eventually. There is plenty of light where I want to put the tanks now. I need to assemble the rack for the tanks. Probably have to do some minor electrical work (add a couple of circuits to the electircal box for power to the tanks, lights, pumps, etc.). Need to put up some plastic sheeting to keep the tanks enclosed in a "room" that will stay warm. I know there is no insulation on the north wall of the basement so I may do something about that. Bottom line is that I'm going to have tanks in the basement by the 4th week of August LOL. How much work I will be able to do is another thing. I'm getting a 135g tank tomorrow that needs to be resealed (early B-Day present for myself LOL) and then next Sunday I'm picking up the two 100g tanks, which will be resealed for me. I've alot of work ahead of me but it will definitely be a fun project!

Yes, a lot of work, I'm tired already! But the end result will be great. You should do a chrono thread on SD so we can see the progress, Bryan!
    Connie

Real Name
    Ricardo

Well, first there is some cleaning to do in the basement. Move stuff to the other end of the basement, tear up some old carpeting, etc. I may paint the walls (white most likely). I need to put in a utility tub and run the plumbing for that, which requires me to drill through about 15" of concrete. I have to figure something out for lighting over tanks, at lest eventually. There is plenty of light where I want to put the tanks now. I need to assemble the rack for the tanks. Probably have to do some minor electrical work (add a couple of circuits to the electircal box for power to the tanks, lights, pumps, etc.). Need to put up some plastic sheeting to keep the tanks enclosed in a "room" that will stay warm. I know there is no insulation on the north wall of the basement so I may do something about that. Bottom line is that I'm going to have tanks in the basement by the 4th week of August LOL. How much work I will be able to do is another thing. I'm getting a 135g tank tomorrow that needs to be resealed (early B-Day present for myself LOL) and then next Sunday I'm picking up the two 100g tanks, which will be resealed for me. I've alot of work ahead of me but it will definitely be a fun project!
    that is a lot of work but that is always half the fun. you should document your fish room like John did. that would be real fun to follow. you should just have a couple of large lights from HD on your ceiling to illuminate all of the tanks and save on electricity, unless you plan on doing planted tanks of course

Cafepress.com

Must be that great minds think alike and post at the same time LOL. I may do a chrono thread. My room definitely won't be as nice though.

I don't plan on doing planted tanks Ricardo. If I do end up with plants in the tanks they will either be fake or low light like Java ferns, crypts, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast