ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Should young pairs stay together?

Default Should young pairs stay together?

I have 8 discus that are 10-11 months old. 2 of the largest - 4.25-4.5" - have paired off and spawned 3 times now. I think 2 of the smallest - 3-3.5" - are showing early pairing behavior as well.

I have heard that they will stop, or slow way down, growing when they start spawning. I know this to be true in angelfish. So do I leave them together in the big tank with the other discus, separate them, or go on and move them into their own tank? I have a 29gl ready for them whenever it is the right time to move them.

I would like to see a little more size on them, but at nearly 1 year old maybe they are for the most part done growing and it's a moot point anyway.

The pair that spawned have had all 3 batches make it 2 days, then they disappear. My pH is 7.4. Is the lower pH for breeding recommended in order to induce breeding or to better allow the eggs to hatch? My angels do fine in the same water, but I had rams that bred but never hatched and I know their eggs have a difficult time hatching in higher pH water because it makes the shells harder. Same with discus?
    Jeff

Default Re: Should young pairs stay together?

Hey Jeff, are these the fish from this post or do you have new ones?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=71260

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Same ones. It's the red scribbelt and bss x flachen.
    Jeff

I don't really want to get new ones until I can do better by the ones I have.
    Jeff

Understood, they are fine, I think Martha pointed out that they were a little bit behind the power curve (growth period). I wouldn't expect you to get much more out of them as far as substantial size, due to their current age and them being a bit behind. I'd just let them breed if they want. You could grow the juvies out nicely.

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

That was what I thought. Thanks Eddie.

I figured these are about as big as they are going to get with all my newbie blunders, but that I could get a second chance with any offspring. I think I can do much better this time with all I have learned on here and with the angels.

I know the stunted growth is environmental, but are some of the other faults passed on? i.e. beaky, straight foreheads, poor dorsal to nape transition, etc? And the football/triangular shape is a result of the stunting, correct?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by zn394 View Post
    That was what I thought. Thanks Eddie.

I figured these are about as big as they are going to get with all my newbie blunders, but that I could get a second chance with any offspring. I think I can do much better this time with all I have learned on here and with the angels.

I know the stunted growth is environmental, but are some of the other faults passed on? i.e. beaky, straight foreheads, poor dorsal to nape transition, etc? And the football/triangular shape is a result of the stunting, correct?
    No, not really. The offspring, with good care can look much better and it really comes down to culling. Obviously you'll want the most elite and they will easily surpass their parents in size and looks. A stunted fish won't produce fish with stunted characteristics.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

I, personally, would never want to breed a poorly shaped discus, but I would have no qualms about breeding a stunted discus. Some shape issues may be environmental, but I would be unwilling to take the chance.

Point taken Martha. I thought of that as well. We have a doberman we showed when he was younger but neutered him at 1 1/2 years because of a fault in his back and a poor temperament.

Sounds like the best course for me is to let them stay in the 130 and let nature take its course until I can get some higher quality discus. If they are succesful in raising a small number then fine, but I won't go to any special effort to get a higher success rate.

Now if I could just afford some of Kennys' albinos...
    Jeff

One thing to think about is that a stunted discus is not proportional so it has not grown/developed correctly. Not too many quality shaped stunted fish if you get my drift. I'd do it for the experience, and you never know what you'll get if you don't try it.

Take care Jeff,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

If they 'are successful in raising a small number' of fry, then you will have gone to some `special effort'. Raising fry is a heck of a lot of work, whether it is 100 quality fry or 6 poorer quality ones. The operative word here is `successful.' What happens when the fry are a month old? What will you do if the fry are poor quality? Are you prepared to cull en masse the darlings you spent so much effort to raise? You can't sell them, and you should never give them away.
    I love my albinos. Probably not a breeding beginner's fish but what the heck?