AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Final result of Al's fishless cycling idea

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Final result of Al's fishless cycling idea

Thanks for your help Chad! You should see how well that Cabomba is growing in my little goldfish/aquatic plant pond in my yard. Loves it out there .
    Barb

No worries Barb!

Tha stuff will grow just about anywhere! I love it.

Have a great day!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Barb:
    You and Al are pioneers of the future!!! The Barbal cycling method (or rather the Albarb method) You two can fight over the trademark... XD

One question for you Barb: Did you keep a record of the phosphates during your testing? I'm curious if they skyrocketed.

Thanks again for the threads/posts, this was the most interesting subject matter I have ever come across!

Jim

Registered Member

I have to agree with post #8 from bs6749
    I have cycled tanks using ammonia. I always have had results in the three week range. Smaller tanks less time.
    I never have to go through all that now as I always keep extra filters running on my tanks and keep large amounts of media in trays in my sump tanks. I just fill up the new tank and move a mature filter to the new tank. It's ready to go. It's the bacteria colonies in the filter media/ sponges ,you are growing when cycling. You are not cycling the water. When cycling with amonia you do not want to do any water changes until all readings are acceptable. The nitrite colony will take longer to grow than the amonia colony . At least that is what I have found in my experience .

Quote Originally Posted by dvc_r View Post
    Barb:
    You and Al are pioneers of the future!!! The Barbal cycling method (or rather the Albarb method) You two can fight over the trademark... XD

One question for you Barb: Did you keep a record of the phosphates during your testing? I'm curious if they skyrocketed.

Thanks again for the threads/posts, this was the most interesting subject matter I have ever come across!

Jim
    Thanks a lot Jim! No I didn't test for phosphates. I guess it is too late now or I could get a test kit for it. It can be the Albarb method ! I will see what Al says about this. It sure was his idea, I never would have thought of it. But I was setting up a new tank and had no rush to do it so I thought it might be interesting, and I am not even in Jr High to do it as a science fair project .
    Barb

Well, it was 3 weeks ago today that I added the Miracle Gro fert. to my newly set up tank. It is all cycled and has been for several days. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 10 or less Nitrate. Have put in some more plants and when my new angels are out of QT they will go in. I will take a pic then and post it. Thanks again for your interest in my experiment of a new way to cycle with nothing from an existing tank to start it up.
    Barb
    Last edited by Disgirl; 07-31-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Barb,

Sounds perfect! So, how long do you estimate that his process takes? I'll be trying this same method on a 1000 gallon system this summer. Should be interesting! LOL!

Have a great weekend!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As far as I can tell it took 2-3 weeks. When the Nitrate hit 160 and I did the first wc of 90% as you recommended, the Prime I added messed up the ammonia reading for a couple days before it went back to 0. And I found out not to add any live plants until it is cycled. I guess it is just too much ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for them all at once? Now I am adding just 1/4 tsp. of the fert. every few days to keep the bacteria fed until I put the fish in. Is this the way to go Chad? I guess you will have to add much more fert. to get your huge new system going. Good luck with it and I can say that this method does work .

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    As far as I can tell it took 2-3 weeks. When the Nitrate hit 160 and I did the first wc of 90% as you recommended, the Prime I added messed up the ammonia reading for a couple days before it went back to 0. And I found out not to add any live plants until it is cycled. I guess it is just too much ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for them all at once? Now I am adding just 1/4 tsp. of the fert. every few days to keep the bacteria fed until I put the fish in. Is this the way to go Chad? I guess you will have to add much more fert. to get your huge new system going. Good luck with it and I can say that this method does work .
    Barb,

Sounds like you got it down! I may be asking you questions later when I start using this new method. Thanks again for all your work on this!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Joan

Thanks for the info Barb, I've got my 55 gal ready to roll, just need to go buy the Miracle Grow today. I'll keep this thread posted on the results as I go. I'm going to bring the NH3 up to ~5ppm for starters, and maybe add a little food as well during the process. These new AC filters come with bio-chips so maybe the process will go even faster, but no hurries, at the price of tropical fish these days I'm in no hurry to stock. Wish I could do a Discus tank again, maybe next year.

Good luck with it Joan. I started out with 1 TBSP for 60 gal water. It got my ammonia to 2-3. You will probably need to add more than that to get up to 5ppm. I will be interested to see how it works for you. I just added more today to see how long it takes to get back down to 0. Fish in a few weeks after their QT. I didn't want this 60 gal. tank to be QT for 10 baby angels although I guess it could be.
    Barb

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    Thanks for the info Barb, I've got my 55 gal ready to roll, just need to go buy the Miracle Grow today. I'll keep this thread posted on the results as I go. I'm going to bring the NH3 up to ~5ppm for starters, and maybe add a little food as well during the process. These new AC filters come with bio-chips so maybe the process will go even faster, but no hurries, at the price of tropical fish these days I'm in no hurry to stock. Wish I could do a Discus tank again, maybe next year.
    i'd skip the food. everything else sounds fine though

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Joan

You're right, the food would probably stale up the tank too much. I put in a large Tbs of MG last night, waited a few hours and tested. The NH3/NH4 was between 4-5ppm, right where I wanted it. I guess Colorado Springs switched their water sanitation from chlorine to chloramines a few years back so will have to watch out for that. Last time I tested tap water here it was medium hardness and PH out of tap was 7.6. A little high for the critters but extra air and some PH down would always do the trick. I don't think I have to mess with PH while cycling, I don't remember????

Ok, I found my old username and somehow remembered the password after 6 years....I recall someone saying that Nitrifiers can live dormant in a sponge filter that has dried out for many years, any truth to that? I just found about ten of them from my discus tanks and would throw one in the cycling tank if that is actually true.

Joan I wouldn't try an old sponge at all. One good reason for this fishless cycling is to not introduce any potentially nasty stuff into a new and clean system. Wouldn't want to risk it. My ph is 7.6 and all went well with the cycle. Looks like you are off to a good start! Remember to add Prime when you do a wc or your chlorine and chlora. will kill off your new bacteria.
    Barb

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast