AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week #9, Water Change #8... All is well

Default Week #9, Water Change #8... All is well

Well it's week #9 and all is well with the contest fish. Can't say that I have anyting new to report other than they are eating like pigs and growing like weeds. I got a few pointers from Eddie in regards to taking better pictures. From his suggestions and my fumbling through the on-line manual for my model camera, the resulting attachments were created. Have a great week!

Best wishes!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Re: Week #9, Water Change #8... All is well

And some more...
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And some more....
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The End.
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Chad, lookin' good. They all seem very fat and consistent in size.

Kirk

Super nice and healthy Chad! They look awesome!

When you mess with the shutter speed, the exposure is darker. You'll most likely have to adjust the brightness in whatever photo editor/viewer you have. The pictures look good though, you'll get it down bro!

Just in case nobody saw the thread, Chad wanted some tips on how to do macro shots with his Sony camera. Don't think I am criticizing his skills for
    S & Gs. LOL

Take care brother,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Quote Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
    Chad, lookin' good. They all seem very fat and consistent in size.

Kirk
    Thanks Kirk! Yes, they are all pretty much the same size with the exception of one. He's just a bit smaller than the rest, but his growth isn't stunted yet. I think he's just a bit of a slow grower.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Super nice and healthy Chad! They look awesome!

When you mess with the shutter speed, the exposure is darker. You'll most likely have to adjust the brightness in whatever photo editor/viewer you have. The pictures look good though, you'll get it down bro!

Just in case nobody saw the thread, Chad wanted some tips on how to do macro shots with his Sony camera. Don't think I am criticizing his skills for
    S & Gs. LOL

Take care brother,

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie! I'll continue to play with it. The light in the tank is pretty low right now due to overhead plant growth. I'll get it figured out. LOL! Thanks again for the help!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Ricardo

love the 3rd picture on the forth reply, looks killer. the pictures look great btw. you might want to mess with your editor to bring out some of the natural color. also when shooting in shutter priority try to get as low as possible without getting the image blur. this balances out the shutter speed with the aperture. i'm not sure what camera you have but usually when you have it in one mode the camera will chose the other and sometimes it doesn't choose the right one. what you should do is just keep it in the shutter priority and mess with all the other settings while in that mode, i.e. white balance/metering/exposure (not sure if you can control exposure on yours). also, if your camera has a histogram then you should definitely use it, it is a great tool that most people do not know how to use. the pictures so far look great but you can get even greater pictures if you really start messing with all the settings. the worst that can happen is that you take pictures that you absolutely hate but there is a delete button for that . usually when you take so many shots you will find a few here and there that you really like. good luck with the pics and your discus are looking remarkable. btw, i put my plants in their pots already! yay! i will delay the co2 for now to give me time to research it further.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

also, if you use a photo loader site like photobucket you can submit larger and true to size pictures that retain more quality than when you reduce the size to make them fit as a thumbnail. just fyi

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Man Chad the tank is looking awesome! Everything about those guys is excellent. Nice camera work. It is funny that in this contest the biggest challenge in not raising the fish it is the photography. Well done. Thanks for the update.

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    love the 3rd picture on the forth reply, looks killer. the pictures look great btw. you might want to mess with your editor to bring out some of the natural color. also when shooting in shutter priority try to get as low as possible without getting the image blur. this balances out the shutter speed with the aperture. i'm not sure what camera you have but usually when you have it in one mode the camera will chose the other and sometimes it doesn't choose the right one. what you should do is just keep it in the shutter priority and mess with all the other settings while in that mode, i.e. white balance/metering/exposure (not sure if you can control exposure on yours). also, if your camera has a histogram then you should definitely use it, it is a great tool that most people do not know how to use. the pictures so far look great but you can get even greater pictures if you really start messing with all the settings. the worst that can happen is that you take pictures that you absolutely hate but there is a delete button for that . usually when you take so many shots you will find a few here and there that you really like. good luck with the pics and your discus are looking remarkable. btw, i put my plants in their pots already! yay! i will delay the co2 for now to give me time to research it further.
    Rick,

Here is a link to the camera that I am using. It's supposed to be a really good MACRO camera. Not so good for distance shots, but I'm not dealing with distance so not too worried about that. I hadn't considered an editor for the pics. So far all the shots have been raw shots downloaded from the camera straight to the site. I'll fiddle with the settings a bit. I'll be that will make a huge difference! Thanks for the tip!

It's funny that you pointed out that one shot (pic #3, reply #4). I just made that one my screen saver on my home computer. Naturally the one that I have at home is a 5 meg picture. Looks super nice!

Take your time on the CO2. Learn all you can. It's not too hard to deal with, but you have to be ready to take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    also, if you use a photo loader site like photobucket you can submit larger and true to size pictures that retain more quality than when you reduce the size to make them fit as a thumbnail. just fyi
    Rick,

I thought about that. The biggest reason that I don;t use it is due to the fact that I can't see the pictures from sites like photobucket and such from my work computer. It's a government thing. LOL! I'm sure as the contest comes to a close I'll be employing such sites to really express the quality and detail of the fish for judging purposes. Thanks again for the great info!

Quote Originally Posted by acroken View Post
    Man Chad the tank is looking awesome! Everything about those guys is excellent. Nice camera work. It is funny that in this contest the biggest challenge in not raising the fish it is the photography. Well done. Thanks for the update.

Kenny
    Thanks Kenny! It is funny how the photos are half the battle. I guess if we were all in one room, things would be a lot easier! LOL!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Chris

Fabulous pictures Chad! Your discus look wonderful too, nice and fat and healthy. I also love your tank. Keep up the good work.

Chris
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
    Fabulous pictures Chad! Your discus look wonderful too, nice and fat and healthy. I also love your tank. Keep up the good work.

Chris
    Thanks Chris! These guys are super healthy and growing like weeds! I just bought (today) a trio of Albino Snow White from Kenny as well. Should be here next week. After my experience with these fish, I can't resist buying from Kenny! LOL!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

They look just great Chad! I sure like the looks of your tank too. The fish look so healthy and wonderful colors too. Good luck with the new ones coming. I have new angels coming Thurs. that will go in my "experiment tank" in a couple weeks. Be sure to post pics of the new ones for us to see,
    Barb

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    They look just great Chad! I sure like the looks of your tank too. The fish look so healthy and wonderful colors too. Good luck with the new ones coming. I have new angels coming Thurs. that will go in my "experiment tank" in a couple weeks. Be sure to post pics of the new ones for us to see,
    Barb
    Thanks Barb! I appreciate the compliments. Good luck on your new babies in their new tank! I'm sure all will go well. I'll start another thread on my new albinos once they arrive. Have a good one!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast