AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hikari frozen "discus"

Registered Member

Default Re: hikari frozen "discus"

My fish will ignore any of the big chunks in there... I wonder if Hikari ever tried on discus before releasing it. Not even my angelfish, that even eat ground stone, will touch it. I was keeping the package for when my discus were larger. Now that some of you shared similar results I will throw it away without hesitation.

Registered Member

I bought a pack each of the blue one (withturds) bloodworms and the brine shrimp version. My fish seem to gobble them all up. I find the shrimp makes a bit more of a mess but I think my fish like the bloodworms the best but still happy to eat the blue packet too.
    Saying that they are expensive so I will be using cheeper brands and making my own soon.

my 2 bobs worth anyway

Smallfin

Registered Member

I tried a pack once but like most others posting here my fish wouldn't touch it. You guys are so right, it really does look like frozen rodent turd, doesn't it? Unusual, considering that Hikari usually turns out high quality products. Maybe they get it from all the "fuzzies" (frozen mice) sold in cans for pet snakes- the poor things crap themselves with fear before being tinned, they collect the poop, add some dubious other ingredients, press into cubes, and voila! Discus frozen food...

Colin

I've tried both the hikari and the ocean nutrition versions and none of my discus or angels care for the hikari. My RES turtle seemed to appreciated them though. The ocean nutrion on the other hand disappears when i put it in the tank. The problem is that it is no longer being imported into canada due to some new FDA regulations (according to my LFS) so i must plan a trip to the US for several cases.

Registered Member

I tryed the "50 50 plus". (bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, plus)
    Some of my discus will eat it all but some will eat the bloodworms and not the brine shrimp. I'll use it on my other fish and won't buy more. Don T.

I use Ocean Nutrition's "Discus Formula" sometimes, theyre frozen cubes. The display tank fish eat it, but my pairs are ravenous fiends for it! They fight each other over the last few pieces.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    I have tryed both the Hikari Frozen Discus Formula and the Ocean Nutrition Frozen Discus Formula and my discus did not care for either!

I found the Ocean Nutrition Frozen Discus Formula to be VERY messy, it disolved into goo, but in fairness I have to admit that I only tryed one pack and maybe I just got a bad batch, there was so much waste to it that I did not want to buy a second pack.

I gave up on it at half of the pack and gave it to my Cousin, He said his baby Angels tore it up though.
    I tried the ON version of the Discus Formula. My fish greeted it with mixed reviews. One spit it out. One ate it and the rest ignored it as it floated around in the tank. Maybe it will be an acquired taste process for them? In theory it seems like a good nutritional idea from ON.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Compared to 38+ $/lb. I will learn to stomach it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12