ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: Blue Fish lovers delight

Default Re: Blue Fish lovers delight

I always found interesting at least when a fish that is 70% blue and 30% red is called a red turquoise.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    I always found interesting at least when a fish that is 70% blue and 30% red is called a red turquoise.
    The breeders who named them red turquoise did not use the criteria you propose. The red refers to the amount of red color in the base of the discus. Let me explain!

In nature, a discus with full red base is very rare. A discus with a full blue pattern and full red base is even more rare. This was the dream! But most wilds with a nice full "royal blue" pattern, do not come with solid red base color. More often, there is a large range of colors which include red elements, but also composed of brown tones, golden tones and grey tones. This is quite a variable feature of the wild discus. But what the breeders wanted, the dream, was a full red base color, and a full pattern. This did not come easily, and took many years to refine and perfect, to the stage where the breeder could assert with some authority, that they bred true. A true pinnacle of breeding ability with discus. It matters not how much blue there is, or even what pattern the secondary blue color takes, just the fact that the discus has a full red base, imo, makes it worthy of the name red turquoise.

Rod

Thanks for your time Rod, it makes sense in the way you explain it but it is still 30% red and 70 % blue lol.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    Thanks for your time Rod, it makes sense in the way you explain it but it is still 30% red and 70 % blue lol.
    Fair enough. At least you now have a more nuanced take on the name game, which may help to appease your incredulity. Some breeders take the naming very seriously, and really try to be descriptive. But strain naming is not scientific, and there are no rules. Some names are pure fantasy, but i think thats ok too.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536