ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: aquarium safe silicone?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default aquarium safe silicone?

i found a few threads that dealt with silicone but my question is more along the lines of where i can get a lot of it? i want it to be local like a Home Depot or Lowe's in case i bought too much and need to return some. Yas told me to put into a caulking gun and dispense that way so if there is one out there that would easily fit into a caulking gun then that's a plus. please list some actual brand names that you know are aquarium safe. i really have no idea how much i would need so i would play it by ear. thanks in advance people

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Default Re: aquarium safe silicone?

GE Windows & Doors I is safe. It can be bought at any hardware store or Walmart, Lowes, etc. Make sure it is I and not II. Used with a cauking gun.

Registered Member

I found the below site very helpful when I resealed a tank.. Key is to work fast and it is helpful to have another person.. One caulking while the other one smooths the silcone.. I believe "GE Silicone I" will say on the back of the label not aquairum safe don't let that fool you from my research and trying it out for myself, it is safe..

http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_vie...le.php?aid=107
    Jerry

Registered Member

DAP clear "100% silicone sealant" meets FDA Regulation No. 21 CFR 177.2600, meaning it's food-grade-

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=25

It's widely available at home centers and hardware stores...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy65 View Post
    GE Windows & Doors I is safe. It can be bought at any hardware store or Walmart, Lowes, etc. Make sure it is I and not II. Used with a cauking gun.
    thanks, that is the one Yas told me about. she had a few deaths in her tank after she used the silicone but she could not directly link it to the silicone though. that was my only concern with that silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by jerbear View Post
    I found the below site very helpful when I resealed a tank.. Key is to work fast and it is helpful to have another person.. One caulking while the other one smooths the silcone.. I believe "GE Silicone I" will say on the back of the label not aquairum safe don't let that fool you from my research and trying it out for myself, it is safe..

http://aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_vie...le.php?aid=107
    how long has it been in your tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhhnn View Post
    DAP clear "100% silicone sealant" meets FDA Regulation No. 21 CFR 177.2600, meaning it's food-grade-

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=25

It's widely available at home centers and hardware stores...
    have you tried this one before? this sounds like the best bet so far since it is food grade.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Rick,

You can use any PURE silcone product from Home Depot. The thing to look for is if it boasts 100% pure silicone with NO ANTIFUNGAL ADDITIVES. Bathroom caulks typically have antifungal in them. I seal tanks with clear silicone from Home Depot (caulk gun size). By the way, if you read the tubes, they all say that they are not safe for aquariums. LOL!

Anyway, just be sure it's pure silicone and you'll be fine!

Best wishes!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by avionics30 View Post
    Rick,

You can use any PURE silcone product from Home Depot. The thing to look for is if it boasts 100% pure silicone with NO ANTIFUNGAL ADDITIVES. Bathroom caulks typically have antifungal in them. I seal tanks with clear silicone from Home Depot (caulk gun size). By the way, if you read the tubes, they all say that they are not safe for aquariums. LOL!

Anyway, just be sure it's pure silicone and you'll be fine!

Best wishes!
    thank you very much Chad, helps a lot because that's where i plan on buying it

Cafepress.com

Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by wgtaylor View Post
    And that's a great price too!
    Chad Hughes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

have you tried this one before? this sounds like the best bet so far since it is food grade.
    Yes- that and the Perfecto aquarium sealant from Drs F&S.

Should have known I'd get a better deal from Jehmco...

Check Home Depot at the glass/acrylic section. That is where the clear 100% silicone can be found.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    thanks, that is the one Yas told me about. she had a few deaths in her tank after she used the silicone but she could not directly link it to the silicone though. that was my only concern with that silicone.
    I have resealed several tanks with it over the years and have had no losses.